Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Injector??

Options
I am in the market for a quality injector. Suggestions?

Comments

• Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    Bayou Classic is the one I own and I like it a lot.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Are you looking for a electric or a manual one?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• BigGreenCraigdotcom
    Options
    Miked125 said:
    Bayou Classic is the one I own and I like it a lot.
    How about a quality report? How many times have you used it?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    i have the bayou classic and like it, but the needle is big and some might not want that. i find it works best if i inject while the meat is hot and in the egg, have used it with butts and turkey. if i were looking to replace it though it would be with a spitjack
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    If it looks cheap, dont get it.  I have broke a few and the cheap ones get clogged super easy.  

The injector on the right is what I use now and it is great. The injector of the left is cheap and I have broke a few of them (got as a gift) in the past.  
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    just looked at the spitjack . . looks hardcore!  I guess their are more options than I thought.  Just dont go plastic cheapo bc it wont last.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I got this one for $15 during a "gold box" deal on Amazon

It is great quality.  My  complaint is the "needles" are really big, thus they make a big hole in the meat.  I wish they offered a needle that was a smaller diameter.   Sometimes the large needle is great if you have a thick injection or lots of spices/solids; however for a liquid injection I don't find it works great.  The liquid just oozes right out of the hole when you pull it out.  

Note: I think this is the same as the Bayou Classic. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    I use the Bayou classic stainless steel. It has two needles. One for the grainier injections and one for straight liquid. It works fine for me. It does have a larger size needle.
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    If you haven't tried injecting before, I would say just pick up a cheap one first. I have one of the plastic ones and for the few times I've used it, its fine. I can't remember the last time I injected, doesn't seem to help as much as a brine for chicken. Just IMHO.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    Hmmmm...while I was looking I just ran across this:

It looks to be similar, and the needle looks smaller.  Heck for $6.88 and prime I might just order one of these for the smaller needle! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    I have one from Big Green Egg it is very nice.
  • BigGreenCraigdotcom
    Options
    Hmmmm...while I was looking I just ran across this:

It looks to be similar, and the needle looks smaller.  Heck for $6.88 and prime I might just order one of these for the smaller needle! 
    $6.88! I just picked one up. LOVE Amazon Prime.
  • BigGreenCraigdotcom
    Options
    DMW said:
    If you haven't tried injecting before, I would say just pick up a cheap one first. I have one of the plastic ones and for the few times I've used it, its fine. I can't remember the last time I injected, doesn't seem to help as much as a brine for chicken. Just IMHO.
    I have injected, but I have used the cheap plastic one that comes with a commercial injection. The plan is to venture out and make my own. We shall see!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    For all you injectors a reminder-wrap the target meat in a plastic wrap and inject thru the wrap.  Greatly cuts down on the stray shot and reduces the post-injection clean-up.  And yes, I learned the hard way!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    For all you injectors a reminder-wrap the target meat in a plastic wrap and inject thru the wrap.  Greatly cuts down on the stray shot and reduces the post-injection clean-up.  And yes, I learned the hard way!
    There is a dirty joke in their somewhere ;)

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    NDG said:

If it looks cheap, dont get it.  I have broke a few and the cheap ones get clogged super easy.  

The injector on the right is what I use now and it is great. The injector of the left is cheap and I have broke a few of them (got as a gift) in the past.  

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I have the good metal one but never use it. Be glad to send it to you for nada.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt - Thanks, I ordered it and it is indeed the EXACT same one as the Bayou but with a smaller needle (which I've been wanting) and a neck-down adapter to make it fit. Now I've got an extra injector body if I ever need one.
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    Helmet said:
    @SmokeyPitt - Thanks, I ordered it and it is indeed the EXACT same one as the Bayou but with a smaller needle (which I've been wanting) and a neck-down adapter to make it fit. Now I've got an extra injector body if I ever need one.
    @Helmet
    Mine just came too :).   I came here to post the exact same thing.  Identical injector with a coupling to step down to a normal sized needle.  

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    NDG said:

I also own the one on the right. +1

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."