Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Unusual happenings on my XL BGE recently

Options
I posted recently offering up my XL Fire Ring with a crack to the forum (got it replaced under warranty), and am glad the offer was taken advantage of.  

I have a question for the forum about that cook, because it was unlike any other I have done in the 18 months I've had my XLBGE.  

I was doing a high heat cook ~ 700 dome temp.  

When the egg was getting up to speed, moisture was oozing out of the crazing.  The heat evaporated the moisture and left a yellowish residue on the surface.  I normally keep my egg covered, the only time it's not is when I leave the cover off to cool off and it stays uncovered a night or 2.  I haven't calibrated my dome thermo in a while, so I'm thinking I may have been cooking hotter than I thought.  My plate setter, fire ring / bowl and parts of the top were white after this cook.  BTW, I left the top off and was cooking tandori chicken skewers dropped in from the top.  It turned out AMAZING.

Thank you to this forum for making me look so creative to my neighbors, I shamelessly try all kinds of new food and recipes.  Can't remember the last time I grilled hamburgers and hot dogs!

XL BGE, Medium Project Egg

Indianapolis

Comments

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    I am not sure about your "oozing issue" but can you post more info/pics of your "tandori chicken skewers dropped in for the top" that turned out AMAZING?  sounds great!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • BobsBGE
    BobsBGE Posts: 99
    Options
    I'd like more info on the tandoori too.  What size skewers did you use for the XL?  Pics would be great too.  BTW I've never had a similar problem.
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Ditto. I want to see/hear more about the chix.
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Enders‌
    Not sure if you are asking about the oozing or the high heat cracking the fire ring. I will take a shot at both. As to the oozing it can only be grease build up if only food has been in your egg. As to the high heat cracking the fire ring I guess it's possible but I don't think that's the case. As stated before I clean my internals and plate setter with a weed burner. I have heated them to temps of 1,500 degrees and higher many times with no issues to speak of to date.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Enders
    Enders Posts: 29
    Options
    Wow, lots of interest on the tandori chicken.  At work now, but will post pics tonight, measure my skewers etc.  Thanks for the interest.  I may have to do a separate post just on that.

@sgh , After this cook both my fire ring and plate setter had cracks.  I always pop the platesetter in before the fire gets too hot, 200 or so to avoid soot build up.  High heat cracks happen, part of the deal, it was the moisture oozing out of the egg crazing (on the egg surface) I had not seen before.

Thanks

Indianapolis

• jmcnutt5
    jmcnutt5 Posts: 88
    Options
    What is the chances it could have just been moisture developing on the egg from the air...sweating?  I don't know where you are at but if this happened when there was a lot of pollen like there is right now in TN, that could explain the yellow residue.  My egg is looking very pale right now.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I've noticed on my last couple of long slow and low cooks that I have water gathering on the lip of the screen vent slide on my Egg.
    Must be moisture left over from the winter. Sure it will be gone before too long.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138
    Options
    The oozing is just moisture seeping out of the ceramics as they are porous, this happens to me in the Mountains of NC when I don't use my eggs often enough. I'm in a very humid environment and it has happened even with a vinyl cover over them. The solution is to use your Egg often and keep it dry!! Gator Man

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

• Enders
    Options

@Gator_Man that's what I was thinking, it was just odd to see that for the first time after 18 months cooking regularly on this egg.  So I assume you have not had any problems right?  I looked my egg all over for hairline cracks and didn't see anything, just the normal crazing.  I cleaned the egg off and it all looks great again.

Thanks for your comment.

Indianapolis

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I have gone really hot many times but one cook I was cleaning my cast iron skillet and heard a loud pop. Figured it was just lump. Then another loud pop. Shut it down and the next day my fire ring and egg base were both cracked. Just happens sometimes.
  • Enders
    Options
    Thank goodness for the warranty! 

Indianapolis