Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Y'all have ruined Pulled Pork for me

I did my first Butt roast this weekend, and after reading all of the comments, advice and tips over the past couple weeks since I got my egg, I finally had the time to try my first smoked Butt over the weekend. I Turbo'd an 8# butt with hickory and, well, it was amazing.

The problem is, now I will NEVER be able to order a pulled pork sandwich anywhere in North Carolina, and mind you we practically invented pulled Pork with Wilbur's, Kings, Allen & Sons, and Bullocks all within tobacco spitting distance of me here in the Triangle.  

Keep up the good work y'all, and thanks for the tips.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC - Go Heels!
·

Comments

• Looks wonderful!
    NW Iowa
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,762
    Fabulous looking plate of food right there!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
  • corey24corey24 Posts: 317
    I agree!  I was in Chapel Hill a few years back for a Carolina-Duke game I went to Allen & Sons that was recommended by the locals.  It was very good. The place was packed and we struck up a conversation with a couple of local tar heel fans and they invited us to join them and bought us lunch.  Great experience and good pork!  GO HEELS!!!

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

·
  • fence0407fence0407 Posts: 1,240
    :-bd
    Large & Mini, Cumming, GA  
    image - 2009 Alumni
    ·
  • DMWDMW Posts: 6,588
    Yep, that happens. ;)
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
    ·
  • jhl192jhl192 Posts: 793
    I lived in Raleigh back in the early 80's before I was a BBQ fanatic.  I'd like to try some NC Pulled Pork.  Can you share what you used for the rub and sauce?  If not purchased, the recipe?  Thanks.  I normally use a yellow mustard based slather to hold my rub and then use Sweet Baby Rays for the sandwich.  That is not NC Style.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE 
    ·
  • stevesailsstevesails Posts: 972
    I have the same problem with ribs, steaks, chicken, turkey, salmon, shrimp, pork tenderloin,
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

·
  • BuckdodgerBuckdodger Posts: 899
    I have the same problem with ribs, steaks, chicken, turkey, salmon, shrimp, pork tenderloin,
    Me too !!!

Alexander City,Al
    ·
  • Chris_WangChris_Wang Posts: 1,253
    The cornbread is a nice touch

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,362
    Great looking meal!  I like big chunks of pulled pork like you have in the picture.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,246
    I'd like to also know what method you use?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • ElCapitanElCapitan Posts: 154
    Me too !!!
    Add me to this list.  Wife and I were talking just last night that after buying the BGE that we honestly don't want to go out to eat anymore because it tastes better on the egg.
    XL Owner
    ·
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,024
    The food on the egg is definitely better than going out. If never order a pulled pork sandwich at a restaurant. However, going out to eat and not cooking some nights is well worth the "suffering" of less tasty food.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 2,428
    I've been to at least half the places you've mentioned there and have to agree - what comes off the Egg is better. I will say, however, that what I got at Briskettown in Brooklyn was better than anything I've cooked. One of these days I'll make it to Austin.
    If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

Currently in Albuquerque, where I'm kicking ass every day, even without a basket.  
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,246
    @JohnInCarolina‌ ..don't go to La bbq. @cazzy will get jealous.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • I order fish quite a bit when I eat out because my family dislikes it so I don't cook it.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,285
    It do happen. Nice plating!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Philly35Philly35 Posts: 567
    Nicely done! That bark looks great!
    NW IOWA
    ·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,564
    Looks awesome
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,611
    Yep, we don't go out much anymore unless we are traveling. Welcome to the club.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • That looks amazing!

Lg Egg - Asheville, NC
    ·
  • SGHSGH Posts: 13,360
    Looks incredible brother. Glad to hear it turned out to your liking.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

Arsenal-Just a small wore out and broken down Weber kettle. No other means to cook at all.
    ·
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 4,585
    Nice bark and smoke ring, love the plated shot too, is that corn bread wedge at the back?
    canuckland
    ·
  • MaskedMarvelMaskedMarvel Posts: 1,266
    Bullocks yum!!
    Large BGE -- Greensboro!

·
  • Most restaurants suck anymore...

·
  • Same problem here. My co-workers hate taking me to lunch with them because I know I can cook it all better. Or it could just be that I'm a pain in the ass. Not sure which.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
    ·
  • NDGNDG Posts: 1,186
    awesome - your plated shot with the cucumber/tomato salad, cornbread & pork . . . .   =D>
    Columbus, Ohio
    ·
  • Nice bark and smoke ring, love the plated shot too, is that corn bread wedge at the back?
    Yes, Cornbread from a CI skillet in the oven.
    ·
  • henapple said:
    I'd like to also know what method you use?
    @jhl192

Technique:
    Indirect with PS legs up, Drip Pan and Grate
    Added 4 chunks of Hickory to the Charcoal before I lit it.
    Cooked at 350˚ dome temp to IT of 205˚  Took almost exactly 5 hours. Temp bounced a bit between 340-360 but never out of that range.
    (I'll probably add a little more Hickory next time)

Rub (applied right before I put it on)
    4 T Brown Sugar
    1 T Salt
    1 T Pepper
    1 T Chili powder
    1 T Garlic Powder

Sauce: (adjust to your own taste for sweet/salt)
    2 cups Cider Vinegar
    1/2 cup Ketchup
    1 t Salt
    2 t Red Pepper Flakes
    1-2 T Sugar
    1 t Black Pepper
    1/2 t Onion Powder
    1/2 t Garlic Powder

Whisk together to dissolve sugar & Ketchup
    Bring to simmer, turn off, and let sit as long as you can
    Adjust seasonings for Salt/Sweetness

·
  • NDGNDG Posts: 1,186
    Sauce sounds great.  I looooooooooooove vinegar sauce.
    Columbus, Ohio
    ·