Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Clean burn question

Options
2»

Comments

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Ron is RRP
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Yep orange/reddish colored goop
    First failure I have heard of Permatex. Not spitting hairs here but you said"orange/reddish" - they do make a red Permatex which I know some people have used when they couldn't find the Copper. The Red is rated way on down from Copper for the heat it can withstand. Just buy a tube of Copper and reapply your Rutland.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Options
    I do not know who 'Ron' is, but I know that the gentleman who sold me mine many years ago (original forum) suggested the original Rutland cement.

I discovered the Permatex on my own, and confirmed it with a forum search. Other were using it also. It is high heat silicone.

My original waterbased Rutland cement had failed, and I reused the same gasket, with Rutland still adhered to the gasket fibers, and bedded it in the Permatex Copper. That was a number of years ago, and there have been no problems.
    I'm the "Ron" and I have been on the original forum since 2000. I began selling the Rutland over there in 2002. If I knew your name I could tell you if, when and what number gasket you bought from me. Your are correct the Rutland latex adhesive that comes in the blister pack had failure issues - most often from the very beginning as it would dry before getting the material properly embedded. Send me a PM if you wish and I can confirm if you bought from me. For a very brief time in 2001 CharWoody in IA sold some Rutland kits but very few.
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Here's what I used about 6 months ago when I first got the Rutland. I've several pizzas and steak sears with no issues of a failing permatex. Guess the clean burn got a little to hot lol
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    @EggHeadinFlorida

Thank you.  I did not make the connection.
    I appreciate the clarification.  I can generally recall member screen names quite well, but their actual names tend to escape me.  I believe it is my social wiring.  I have a predilection for factual information, versus social.  Screen names must be perceived by me somehow as more factual, and stick better.

Thank you again, and apologies to RRP for any offense.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• RRP
    Options
    Here's what I used about 6 months ago when I first got the Rutland. I've several pizzas and steak sears with no issues of a failing permatex. Guess the clean burn got a little to hot lol
    That is the "proper copper"! The only other thought was there wasn't enough laid down since it appears that tube is still rather full! I've had my large North of 1,100 degrees and no Permatex failure.
  • RRP
    Options
    @EggHeadinFlorida

Thank you again, and apologies to RRP for any offense.
    no offense taken - but my offer still stands - send me an email with your name and what city you lived in back then and I'll research it.
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    So I should completely rip off the Rutland and start all over? Or just apply the permatex to where the Rutland lost the adhesive?
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    @RRP:  I did not mean to ignore your offer.  I did not see your reply, actually.  My replies seem to display above or below other members' in a not very chronological order.

My address then would have been to my office address, as I rarely use my home address on the internet, even with retailers like Amazon.  I remember the seller was in the midwest.  I do not know if it was Iowa.  It would have been mailed to any of a number of building addresses in Corning NY, depending on the time of year.

@EggHeadinFlorida

I found my Rutland failed in batches, and so eventually pulled the entire gasket off (easily).  Extrude a uniform zig zag of adhesive, and embed.  You will eventually need to do it everywhere.  Better to do it all at once.

I allowed mine to cure 24 hours.  If you have a cooked scheduled, I would do the cook first with the gasket laid in place, and then adhere when you get a chance after the egg cools. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seneca Falls, NY

• RRP
    Options
    @RRP:  I did not mean to ignore your offer.  I did not see your reply, actually.  My replies seem to display above or below other members' in a not very chronological order.

My address then would have been to my office address, as I rarely use my home address on the internet, even with retailers like Amazon.  I remember the seller was in the midwest.  I do not know if it was Iowa.  It would have been mailed to any of a number of building addresses in Corning NY, depending on the time of year.

@EggHeadinFlorida

I found my Rutland failed in batches, and so eventually pulled the entire gasket off (easily).  Extrude a uniform zig zag of adhesive, and embed.  You will eventually need to do it everywhere.  Better to do it all at once.

I allowed mine to cure 24 hours.  If you have a cooked scheduled, I would do the cook first with the gasket laid in place, and then adhere when you get a chance after the egg cools. 

Well I'm in Illinois next to Iowa...I have to leave for an hour or so but will get back to you.
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    Thank you.  No need to verify on my part though.  I am happy with the gasket, and expected the Rutland cement to fail at a certain point anyway, based on forum feedback. 

There was an 18 month stint in Palo Alto, as well.  No need to be exhaustive in your search.

Seneca Falls, NY

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Dangit. Went to go use the rest of the permatex and it was all dried up. Couldn't even squeeze a drop out of the tube lol. Looks like I'll be going to buy another tube.
  • RRP
    Options
    Dangit. Went to go use the rest of the permatex and it was all dried up. Couldn't even squeeze a drop out of the tube lol. Looks like I'll be going to buy another tube.

Just as well as even that may have been part of the failure you experienced...that your adhesive was long of tooth to begin with! I have half of a tube left that I used for another project 2 summers ago and it is still pliable. Sorry you have had that problem, but between the amount you applied and now maybe the condition of the Permatex to start with might explain it.
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    The permatex was bought new whenni got the Rutland. I think it went bad cause it sat in the shed. Do I need to clean the old permatex off the Rutland before I put the new permatex on?
  • RRP
    Options
    Only if there is some loose flaky Permatex, but as long as what is hard and dry and embedded in the fibers then your Rutland still has 9 lifes left like a cat! Remember the Permatex failed - not the Rutland.