Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Clean burn question

Options
EggHeadinFlorida
EggHeadinFlorida Posts: 892
edited April 2014 in EggHead Forum
Quick question I'm in the middle of doing a Clean burn just started it about 30 minutes ago. Is it okay to put the platesetter in there right now that way everything gets clean at once or should I wait about an hour to an hour and a half so the dome can get clean and then throw the platesetter in? Also, will the Rutland gasket hold up to the heat?
XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Don't put a cold plate setter in a nuclear egg. That's just asking for trouble, to yourself and the plate setter. If the PS was in from the beginning, no prob. How hot is the egg now?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Gotcha. Plate setter was not on. She's about at nuclear now lol. The outside dome temp is about 500 deg.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    edited April 2014
    Options
    A Rutland can withstand 2,200 degrees and your BGE can not even get near that. You'll be fine and yes put your PS in though it will block some of the heat cleaning your dome which is where the crud is that you really want to burn off!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DMW
    Options
    Yep, don't try to open it and put it in now. Did you pull the dome thermo out before starting?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I wouldn't consider 500 nuclear. 
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Put all ceramics including p.s. at start. #3 @DMW‌ on asking for trouble putting cold p.s. in hot egg (likely would crack it due to extreme thermal shock).
    @EggHeadinFlorida‌... Screw the clean burn just sit it outside in the sun in June, July August and in the Sunshine State that'll take care of it. ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Outside dome temp is 500 deg per infrared thermo. Yes the thermometer is pulled.
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited April 2014
    Options
    jhl192 said:

Believe it or not a egg with i.t. of 800℉-1000℉ the "outside" of the egg ceramic will only register at 450℉-550℉. @EggHeadinFlorida‌ was that temp inside egg or on outside egg ceramic?
    Edit: @EggHeadinFlorida‌ ya I see you did exactly what I thought with IR thermometer read on outside of egg. After I seared steaks I let her rip. I had i.t. of 1,280℉ (per Fluke thermocouple) and outside read 480℉ with IR. +3 @RRP Rutland won't even flinch with those temps. My gasket is still kicking but, when it kicks the bucket I'll be doing a Rutland courtesy of Ron's expertise.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    Options
    With the outside dome temp 500* DON'T open it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    edited April 2014
    Options
    jhl192 said:

LOL many of us cook steaks above 700 and pizzas as well. A 500 degree fire won't do much that a normal cook doesn't already do. I always let mine rip and I have seen my infared reading above 1,000. I never try to control my burn outs and let them burn themselves out.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Thanks for the advise guys. She's climbing in temp, outside dome is now at 675. I can see the white on the inside of the egg. Yayyyyyy Wish I could have gotten then plate setter in there. She has a lot if grease in her. Maybe I'll wait when the egg starts cooling down and toss it in there then.
  • DMW
    Options
    Not sure if it would damage the PS to put it in now or not, but I would be concerned for my arms. :))
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    DMW said:
    Don't put a cold plate setter in a nuclear egg. That's just asking for trouble, to yourself and the plate setter. If the PS was in from the beginning, no prob. How hot is the egg now?
    Nonsense. :)http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/794155#Comment_794155

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    What if I heated the Plate setter in my oven, then tossed her in the egg??
  • DMW
    Options

What if I heated the Plate setter in my oven, then tossed her in the egg??

Like Carolina Q said, you probably won't crack the PS, and if its less than 3 years old its under warranty. I'm just not sure I would want to open an egg that hot and place it in there.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW
    Options
    And I would have been concerned for the PS prior to reading the thread Carolina Q linked to.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Carolina Q‌...good thread find there. Guess it's ok. I just figured thermal shock not so good. Guess I was incorrect...Hey if I'm wrong I'll admit it. :-). But, I'm with @DMW‌ I wouldn't want to open a nuclear egg to reach in to put in my p.s. cold p.s. or not gloves or not. No thanks (400℉-500℉ ya ok. But, 800℉+ ya not so much).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Try checking on a 900° pizza cook sometime. No balls, no blue chips. :D

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DMW
    Options

Try checking on a 900° pizza cook sometime. No balls, no blue chips. :D

I've never temped the exterior of my egg when doing high temp pizzas, will need to check that next time.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Well I did throw the plate setter in the egg. No problems that I can see now. I did piss my neighbors off because all the oil that was burning off created a thick black smoke and a horrendous smell lol. But on the bright side, the plate setter is white again. I'll take pics in the morning.
  • DMW
    Options
    Just serve them something off the egg, they'll get over it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138
    Options
    Thanks for the advise guys. She's climbing in temp, outside dome is now at 675. I can see the white on the inside of the egg. Yayyyyyy Wish I could have gotten then plate setter in there. She has a lot if grease in her. Maybe I'll wait when the egg starts cooling down and toss it in there then.
    You could have put the plate setter in there................. It can take the thermal shock! I have taken a plate setter that was at 400 dome temp and cooled with a garden hose & water!! No problem at all.

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

• EggHeadinFlorida
    edited April 2014
    Options
    And here is the aftermath. Just saw I have to replace the glue under the Rutland. The glue appears to have stayed intact near the outer edge of the egg. But the inner edge has evaporated. Crappy thing is, I have a butt to cook today!
  • SenecaTheYounger
    SenecaTheYounger Posts: 368
    edited April 2014
    Options
    There's no danger putting a plate setter in a hot egg other than from flashback or burning your hand, perhaps.

In nearly fifteen years lurking on the old forum and poring over every post (of substance), I don't recall any issue from exploding platesetters. Thin cheap pizza stones have broken, but they have done so even when put into the egg at the start.

Use Permatex automotive sealant (gasket adhesive, gasket maker) to adhere the very same rutland which is now loose. No need to clean the old Rutland cement off. It will stick fast.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• Carolina Q
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Lots of folks don't use a gasket at all. You can still cook the butt. 

What kind of adhesive did you use on the Rutland? I've never heard of Permatex Ultra Copper failing. Mine has survived 900° dome temps. With the adhesive that comes in the Rutland hardware store bubble pack "kit"... all bets are off.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• EggHeadinFlorida
    edited April 2014
    Options
    It's whatever RRP recommended to me. Think it was the permatex.
  • SenecaTheYounger
    SenecaTheYounger Posts: 368
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Then you used the black Rutland cement.

Go to your autoparts store and purchase high-temperature Permatex. It's orange colored. Ignore the "600 degrees" number, as the DOME temperature can go much higher before the adhesive is exposed 600 degree temperatures.

You technically don't even need to clean the ceramic or need another gasket. Apply a lazy squiggled bead of the Permatex on the ceramic and then reapply the SAME Rutland gasket, with whatever old adhesive (if Rutland, it will be flat, grey, and brittle) adhered to the new

You will never have issues again.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seneca Falls, NY

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Wow! Ron suggests Permatex Ultra Copper. I've never heard of that stuff failing. Mine is 4+ years old with no problem.

This was the orange colored stuff, right?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Yep orange/reddish colored goop
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    I do not know who 'Ron' is, but I know that the gentleman who sold me mine many years ago (original forum) suggested the original Rutland cement.

I discovered the Permatex on my own, and confirmed it with a forum search. Other were using it also. It is high heat silicone.

My original waterbased Rutland cement had failed, and I reused the same gasket, with Rutland still adhered to the gasket fibers, and bedded it in the Permatex Copper. That was a number of years ago, and there have been no problems.

Seneca Falls, NY