Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PassOver(night) Cook! First Attempt at Brisket . . .

Brisket is a cousin of pot roast, right?  And since crockpot pot roast is my family's traditional Passover meal (Lipton onion soup mix, can of coke, jar of cocktail sauce), I thought I'd change it up and try my first brisket for our Passover seder, which in my house essentially is a reason to get the family together for dinner.  Sure, brisket on the egg may be a bit unorthodox (see what I did there?), but I'm giving it a whirl.  

The pic below is 9.5# packer, seasoned "a la Franklin" with just coarse salt and black pepper.  It went on the egg last night around 11:30 pm at about 275 dome temp.  I sat with it for a while, enjoying the warm night and making sure the temp was stable.  Closing in on 1 a.m., I ran some lamb's blood over the egg handle to keep the angel of death away from the fire and went to bed.  No maverick, no digiq for this cook -- I've studied the forum's Sacred Texts and fully put my faith in the higher egging power.  

Temp was a bit low at 6 am when I got up -- bumped it back and went to work.  Headed home shortly to take its temp and, hopefully FTC in time to slice around 6/6:30.  Will post pix of the final product.  Have some salmon on hand as a back up, but am really hoping that this first brisket-overnight cook doesn't disappoint.  

Happy Passover, y'all!
It's a 302 thing . . .

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Have a nice Sedar!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    good story.  Of course, Passover is all about telling stories.

We're having Salmon on the egg for our Seder.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Yes !! have a nice sedar !!

I just threw on a turkey that i am hoping will be done in time for our Sedar !!

You are a good man for doing a proper Brisket !!  ( a mitzvah really )
    I have grown up with the onion soup mix, mushroom and cola oven roasted and overdone brisket.
    It was only until i started bbq'ing that  i understand how and why brisket could be so good .

Instead of leaving a glass of wine for  Elyawho  you may want to leave an extra plate of brisket ? ?
    Toronto
  • The rest of the story is that the Passover Brisket came out better than I'd hoped for a first attempt.  15 hrs on the egg, 2 hrs FTC, nice crust, very juicy, sweet tasting meat.  Things I've learned -- it dries out on the board after it's sliced (who'da thunk it?) and using "coarse" salt rather than "kosher" salt (and on Passover, yet) might have been a minor error -- probably could have used a lighter hand generally with the salt/pepper rub.  

@pantsy -- tried to leave some for Elijah, but the natives scarfed it all down and took home the little that was left (except for some of the point, which I hid away like some afikomen).  

Great meal -- and, seriously, I couldn't have attempted it w/o the forums.  From start to finish, I drew on what I'd learned here get this beast from butcher to egg to table.  We'll never go back to the crockpot, that's for sure!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • pantsypants
    whats a crock pot ?
    Great work on the brisket !
    hope you had a nice sedar
    Toronto
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Ok I'm going to be the idiot here. What is a Sedar?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited April 2014
    SGH said: Ok I'm going to be the idiot here. What is a Sedar?

I always thought it was Sed
    er.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Hey I may have spelled it wrong as I'm not sure what it even is.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited April 2014
    SGH said:
    You and the OP. I wasn't sure if that's why you were confused.

The Seder is a special meal served at the start of the Passover holiday; which began last night. I believe the meal served before the start of the sabbath if also called a seder (but I could be wrong about that as I, myself, am not Jewish).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I'm going to google it brother.

Status- Standing by.

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    SGH said:
    You and the OP. I wasn't sure if that's why you were confused.

The Seder is a special meal served at the start of the Passover holiday; which began last night. I believe the meal served before the start of the sabbath if also called a seder (but I could be wrong about that as I, myself, am not Jewish).
    Since Seder is a Hebrew word, it can be spelled in English in various ways.  It is usually spelled Seder.  It means 'order' and refers to the Passover meal (or other meals) that have a specific order to them. In the case of a Passover Seder, it is the story of the Exodus from Egypt and the various foods eaten refer to the story.

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • pantsypants
    Seder in Hebrew means "Order" .
    A Sedar or Seder is a dinner where you sit around the table and tell the story of Passover . When the Jewish people were enslaved by the Egyptiansand also the story of Moses  . It is a long drawn out dinner with songs, prayer lots of wine and most of the time pretty bad food .
    But the point of it is to tell the story of slavery that happened .
    The story is like the movie the Ten Commandments .

hope this helps
    Toronto