Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Root beer marinade

Options
I am planing on marinading a whole ham in a root beer marinade for 3 days as the receipt calls for. What effect does the root beer and its acidity have on a ham before i ruin a $35 dollar ham. The receipt doesn't tell you this.
Thanks for the help

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    If you are from the Deep South like myself and like the taste of root beer it is actually a very good marinade. Just be sure that you like the taste of the root beer in question. Hope this helps my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    Options
    Interesting idea, I might have to try this.
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Used root beer for crock pot pulled pork, makes it sweet without being too sugary (if that makes any sense) Never marinated longer than a day in the fridge. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!