Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pizza on Egg

Options
Tried Pizza for the first time on the egg and it was yummy ! The whole family liked it.

For the dough I went to Costco and they sold me a box of pizza dough for $20. It has 21 rolls of dough. One roll made all 4 pizzas below.

My Egg setup was:  Place setter legs up, grate, beer-can-chicken holder on top of grate (for more height) and pizza stone on top of that. I had the Egg at 500-550 Degrees.

The hardest part on doing the pizza was getting it on the stone without 'messing it up'. I ended up putting the rolled out dough on my peel and added all the 'fixings', then from the peel to the stone. 

Nice little side effect on doing the high temperature cook was that my place setter looks almost new again !

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Mighty fine looking grub you got there. I absolutely love pizza but for the life of me in cannot make it worth a flip. Again looks great my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DIAD
    DIAD Posts: 187
    Options
    Looks Good!  What are you going to do with all of that dough?  21 rolls of dough and 4 pizza's per roll it looks like you have 80 pizzas left!  Might need to do a group buy like with the lump!
    Chester, MD
  • SGH
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @germanegghead‌
    Is that whole slices of tomato on the one? If so how was it? My old eyes ain't what they use to be.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @germanegghead‌
    How was the pre made dough? That may be the route I need to go for pizza if it was to your liking. Sorry for all the questions but again I stink at pizza. Thanks for your response in advance sir.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @germanegghead‌
    Last question I promise. What brand dough was it? Costco or some other? And would you recommend it or not?

Status- Standing by.

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options

SGH
    said:
    @germanegghead‌ Is that whole slices of tomato on the one? If so how was it? My old eyes ain't what they use to be.

@SGH, we do sliced tomato on pizza sometimes (usually use a plum/roma tomato), it is very good.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Is that an egg on top of one of your pizzas? If so, never seen that before but, I can imagine it would be pretty good.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    @TexanOfTheNorth‌
    What he said.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @germanegghead‌ is either ignoring us or still asleep!

Status- Standing by.

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Try building your pizza on a sheet of parchment paper.  It makes transferring the pizza easy.  Then after a few minutes of the cook you can remove the parchment. I still use some cornmeal on the stone to help once the paper is removed.   
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    Here is how another German makes pizza. http://youtu.be/jHQk9xy3_fA Gerhard
  • Riffian
    Riffian Posts: 4
    Options
    We build our pizzas on a pizza peal layered with corn meal. I also put corn meal on the stone. This make transfer and removal very easy and it keeps the shape of the pizza.