Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bone in chicken breast for the 1st time?

ashevilleegg
ashevilleegg Posts: 28
edited October 2012 in Poultry
going to try bone in chicken breast tonight.  marinading chicken, thinking of cooking it indirect.  Any suggestions on cooking time, direct or indirect, etc?

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I just ate one for lunch. I cooked it raised direct at 400 dome temp.

I rub before I put them on and put sauce about 10 min before they are done. I cook them to 160 internal and that usually takes about 40 min.

Also, I like to mix some rub with the Q sauce before I baste.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • what is the difference b/t raised direct & just using a platesetter?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited October 2012
    Raised direct is grilling, indirect is convection roasting

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I cook mine indirect 350 and they take about an hour depending on size. Also cook to 160. I pull the skin back and season and then put a pad of butter and then pull the skin back over to protect the meat. I don't eat the skin so I don't season it. Pull at 160 and foil for 10 minutes or so. This is what I eat for lunch pretty much every week.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    theres lots of ways to cook it, what works for me is raised grid direct skin side down til crispy, then flip and off the grill at 160 to 165. i cook breasts at 325 dome temp. with the wet marinade you want to start the breasts skin side down and it will take along time before it crisps, 30 to40 minutes before the flip
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • i did the raised grid about 375-400 for about 40 minutes & used cherry/apple combination.  They were fantastic.  i may have dried out the smaller one just a touch, but the larger one came out great.  finished it w/ a little mango/coconut pepper sauce....  thanks for the advice.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    i did the raised grid about 375-400 for about 40 minutes & used cherry/apple combination.  They were fantastic.  i may have dried out the smaller one just a touch, but the larger one came out great.  finished it w/ a little mango/coconut pepper sauce....  thanks for the advice.
    You dont have a quality instant read thermometer, do you? 

You must get one. I feel it is the most important tool needed for ALL cooking. I suggest the Thermapen from Thermoworks. 

You should always cook to temp, never to time. A chicken breast is at its prime from 160-170 degrees. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • i have a great instant read thermometer, but i checked the chicken at 150 then walked away for about 5 min too long (three kids).  the smallest breast was about 170 a just a hair dried out, the larger one was perfect.  on my old grill i always seared chicken breast for 5 min on a side, then cooked indirect for 30-40 min & they were always perfect.  i just need to find that sweet spot w/ my new friend the egg & i'll get there.  thanks again for your advice, this forum is helping me get up to speed quickly.
  • just did two breasts on the bone (and skin too).  
    raised direct at 350
    evoo s&p
    skin down (to crisp)
    35m on one side 
    10m on the other side
    checked my maverick and it said 165 and was quickly shooting to 170, so we got them off
    let them sit for about 10m while the mac and cheese got saucy
    scored them 
    TO. DIE. FOR.  so juicy.  sauce:  not for those who don't like a little spice in their life 
    (they were eaten too fast for pics ... next time.  there WILL BE a next time)
     ;;)