Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome off center question

After all the discussion about tightening the bolts last week, and @RRP‌ and his double nutting, I got everything tight. I noticed however that my dome is offset slightly. It's been this way since I bought it (about 9 months in), but never thought it to be a big deal. Anyone know of this to be a problem? Should I realign or let it ride? Hopefully you can see it in the pics, but it's off set (set off the front, over the back) by about 1/4". Thanks as always.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    In all honesty 1/4" is no problem. These are ceramic pieces molded separately not together and when the clay is still damp before being fired they can get out-of-round as the clay is very pliable at that stage. What I would suggest is you take a steel tape measure and check both your dome and your base as follows. Measure and record the outer diameter from 12:00 o'clock to 6:00 and then 3:00 to 9:00. Compare all the measurement and I bet you will find your 1/4" bite can never be corrected no matter how much you try to align it. Otherwise it sounds like you got your other problems resolved - right?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Yep, do the dollar bill test and if its tight all the way around, don't sweat it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    I have a 3/8" over lap.No Problem.When smoking no smoke comes out of the joint where the bottom and top meet.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Mines about the same. No issues.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • I never have seen smoke come out. I'll measure as @RRP‌ suggested out of curiosity. After tonight's cooking is done!
    RRP said:

In all honesty 1/4" is no problem. These are ceramic pieces molded separately not together and when the clay is still damp before being fired they can get out-of-round as the clay is very pliable at that stage. What I would suggest is you take a steel tape measure and check both your dome and your base as follows. Measure and record the outer diameter from 12:00 o'clock to 6:00 and then 3:00 to 9:00. Compare all the measurement and I bet you will find your 1/4" bite can never be corrected no matter how much you try to align it. Otherwise it sounds like you got your other problems resolved - right?

Yes, all set on tightening down. I got the torque wrench suggested by @Randy1 at Harbor Freight. They all needed a couple turns so I'm glad I did. I think I can get back to focusing on the food! Thanks!!
  • With a name like spartan pride, I would guess it's not the only dome off center!
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    edited April 2014
    @SpartanPride‌ I am glad the wrench worked out for you. It just makes me feel better knowing the bands aren't too loose or too tight on my expensive grill!
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • With a name like spartan pride, I would guess it's not the only dome off center!

First Rose Bowl in a million years! I just got back from the game when I signed up! Go Green!