Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

First Beef Rib Roast

I plan to do my first rib roast for Easter (as well as the traditional ham).  What is the best "Can't Miss" recipe out there?

Thanks in advance for the help.
St. Mary's, GA

• NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,254
    Not a recipe per se but you definitely should consider reverse searing it!  My favorite way to go.

Here are two posts I did about it:

Really just salt, pepper, and garlic on the roast and cooking it on the egg (reverse sear or otherwise) will give you the best rib roast you've ever had. 
    Knoxville, TN
  • Serial GrillerSerial Griller Posts: 1,186

Another choice .There are many proven, popular recipes on his site.

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 7,225
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
  • SGHSGH Posts: 16,246
    There are many ways to get excellent results and many different options. In my humble opinion when it comes to standing rib roast it is such a high end cut that the meat should stand for its self and not be overpowered by rubs and spices. I find that a simple salting for the first 2/3's of the cook followed by a light peppering near the end is all that is required to produce a par excellent rib roast. And brother be sure to collect the renderings for your Au jus. In my opinion this is as simple and as good as it gets. I'm not sure why but when cooking rib roast nothing rivals the ceramic kamados. This is the one meat where they really shine. I wish you the best of luck with which ever method you choose. And as always I hope this helps my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

Arsenal-Just a small wore out and broken down Weber kettle. No other means to cook at all.
  • SGHSGH Posts: 16,246
    Forgot to say I cook them at 225. Never do I let the pit rise any higher from start to finish. And I do not sear. Just thought I would share.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

Arsenal-Just a small wore out and broken down Weber kettle. No other means to cook at all.
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,215
    Read this. 
    Bones off, tie it so it is round, do not cook by the pound it is irrelevant, cook to temp. Reverse sear. 
    Low and slow - watch the smoke wood, too much will overpower a great cut. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions!
    St. Mary's, GA