Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large BGE Table

I'm new to the forum and thought I would share a couple pics of my large BGE table which I completed a few weeks ago.  I learned a lot from looking at different ideas on these forum pages for my table build, so maybe someone can take an idea or two from mine.  One of my biggest concerns when building the table was not feeling very comfortable with just a paver or air gap at the base of the Egg.  You can see in the pics that I came up with a 2X2 open air steel grate for it to sit on.  It has worked great for the heat transfer.  Table is built with 2X8 redwood for the decking, and everything else is cedar.  My preference would have been to do all redwood, but the quality of the lumber I found dictated what I used.  Thanks for looking.

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Like the two tone. Nice touch. Where did you get the feet for the egg?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• dagriller
    dagriller Posts: 74
    Nice table, I like the grate, great idea.
    LBGE Johns Creek, GA
  • eddiemm3
    eddiemm3 Posts: 10
    I like the two tone legs..Gives it a bit of character.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Love the grate...good idea. Welcome
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Yes, you were thinking outside the box on that grate. Nice.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Great design!
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    I found some feet for my egg by calling a dealer that is about 50 miles away. Said they got plenty of them things in the back and gave them to me for free.
    NW IOWA
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Nice grate! I bet that's gonna help with ash removal as well.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Did you fabricate the grate yourself?  The table looks great, but I'm most intrigued by the grate.
    Eggin', craft beer and good cigars.  Tampa, Florida
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Congrats on the job well done on the table. The grate is a "great" idea.  :)>-

Opelika, Alabama
  • Lecky
    Lecky Posts: 60
    Would you care to pm me the dealer with the feet. Thank you
  • ElCapitan
    ElCapitan Posts: 154
    edited April 2014
    I like everything about that.  It's got function and form.  The two tone is great.  The spot for hot items is raised allowing you to put any size pan on there and not damage the wood.  I like how you covered the screw holes, giving it a finished look.  The mitered corners are a nice touch too.  It's not too big so you can wheel it around.  And the grate solves the main question I have with all tables, namely, "how to get the ash out without spreading it on your nice shelf?"  You can stick an ash bucket below the grate and scoop it out.  

About the only thing I'd want to add are some hooks to hang utensils and shelving for my placesetter, woo, pizza stone, extra grids and drip pan.

Nicely done.
    XL Owner
  • Nel20
    Nel20 Posts: 2

Thanks everyone for the comments.  Jeff Cowley, I wish I could lay claim to fabricating the grate myself, but I did not.  A family member did it himself.  He's really good with that kind of stuff.  From the sounds of it, it was pretty easy for him to do and didn't take much time.  I'm sure you could have it made fairly cheaply.

ElCapitan, I agree, I need to get some hooks going for different utensils.  Only problem I've run into with that is I had a custom cover made, and it works great but fits pretty snug to the table.  I'm afraid the hooks may tear it.  I will figure something out though. 

Greg, I got the feet from the dealer I purchased the Egg from.  They had a big box of them, and they did not charge me for them.