Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mad Max's Turkey Question ...

pantsypants
pantsypants Posts: 1,191
So my bird is 13lbs and I am going to try out Mad Max's Turkey .
Do I brine it ? ?

also what time estimate for the 13lb ? ?

thanks
Toronto

Comments

• I did a 20# bird last year for Thanksgiving. 350* for a little over 4 hours. I'd probably allow 3 hrs for a 13# bird at that temp.

I did brine mine overnight. You'll get feedback both ways. I'm not sure if it helped (nothing to compare to) but I don't see how it can hurt anything either.

Also, have a look at the gravy instructions on the Mad Max Turkey page. It's very good gravy but I suggest cutting back quite a bit on the wine.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    awesome John , thanks
    Toronto
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    If you have the time brine. I heard some come pre brined. Have to look at the packaging. Turkey I get is fresh so I always do. I guess your going traditional? Spatchcock turkey is the way to go. Cooks more evenly. When I did mad max I iced breasts and still had a problem tryin to get the thigh up to temp
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    #14 on a medium about 2.5 hrs. Again, VERY gentle with the wine in the gravy!!
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    I cut down on the butter, both on bird and in gravy. Oh and the liver in gravy, I suggest half with liver and half without.
    canuckland
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824

I suggest cutting back quite a bit on the wine.

That's just crazy talk.
    NOLA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    buzd504 said:

I suggest cutting back quite a bit on the wine.

That's just crazy talk.

Just put more of the wine in the cook and less in the gravy.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • pantsypants
    I should cook the bird whole right ?
    I should not be swayed to spatchcock it ? ...
    Toronto
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    grege345 said:
    If you have the time brine. I heard some come pre brined. Have to look at the packaging. Turkey I get is fresh so I always do. I guess your going traditional? Spatchcock turkey is the way to go. Cooks more evenly. When I did mad max I iced breasts and still had a problem tryin to get the thigh up to temp
    Like @grege345 says, check to see if the bird is already brined. Many are. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • pantsypants
    this guy is not , he is "Au Natural "

Toronto
  • I should cook the bird whole right ?
    I should not be swayed to spatchcock it ? ...
    To me, that's really a question of presentation at the table; assuming you don't mind putting in the time to do the bird the more "traditional" way. Unless you screw it up ( ;) ) I believe you can get good results flavor and moistness-wise either way.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I think i would like to keep it whole .
    Toronto
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    If your stickin with the traditional method really ice down those breasts and keep the legs toward the back. Have fun
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• pantsypants
    thanks !!

whats the time rec for 13lbs ?
    Toronto
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    edited April 2014
    3 to 3.5 hours; allow at least .5 hr to make the gravy while resting the bird ... it's ready when it's ready :)
    canuckland
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I got 2.7 Gary at 12.5 minutes per pound which is what I normally get.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• pantsypants
    perfect , i am making the stock right now and am brining the guy right now .
    Will cook it tomorrow .
    Toronto
  • pantsypants
    does the turkey need to be in a pan ? I was going to rest it on a roasting rack with a drip pan underneath ?
    Toronto
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    No do not sit it in a pan. Set it in the rack or grid with a pan underneath to catch the liquid gold.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• pantsypants
    thats what i thought ! thanks
    Toronto
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    As always you are more than welcome my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Either way is fine. I did mine in an aluminum roasting pan. Either way, make sure you have some separation between your pan and the plate setter. If you put the turkey in a pan and then on your grid that's okay, If you put your pan under the grid do not rest it directly on the plate setter or your drippings will burn.

Also, go back and look at the Mad Max instructions. He mentions tilting the bird to pour juices from the bird into the roasting pan. If you go with a drip pan under the bird you'll have to do that as you take your bird off.
    Thanks , I am going to put it on the top rack of the AR and put a roasting pan in the middle .

I will take a couple pics as i am sure this will turn out pretty good
    Toronto
  • BTW, probably going to have to pull your dome thermo.
    With the turkey up high on the AR, there's a good chance the dome thermo will hit the bird when you close the dome.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • pantsypants
    its a smaller bird but I will be aware of this .
    Toronto
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Yep, just watch it, several have broken their thermos in the past.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW said:
    Yep, just watch it, several have broken their thermos in the past.
    ... and some have just bent them.  :\">