Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza tips?

CheeseheadinAZ
CheeseheadinAZ Posts: 315
edited April 2014 in EggHead Forum
I have now made 6 pizzas on the BGE and am getting better. Last one was awesome. However finding the 3rd pie of the night usually gets a touch burned on the bottom. Cooking at 650. I have tried wiping the stone with wet rag a Between pizzas. Any tips would be appreciated.

On a side note:
1. Why do my pictures come out side ways?
2. What does "OT" in the subject line mean. Every time I see it I wonder what the hell :)

Comments

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    OT means off topic.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• I knew it was something simple. Thanks qdude :)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Cell phone pics? You have to rotate the phone 90° clockwise or counterclockwise, can't remember which. CCW, I think.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Is your stone right on a grid?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• @Little Steven  yes... plate setter legs up, grid then pizza stone.

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    What device are you using to upload pics?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    You might want to get a couple of bricks, set them on the grid, platesetter legs on the bricks, five 1/2" plumbing tees and then stone on them. IMHO you have too much space between the indirect piece and the stone is overheating. I can't get my head around wiping the stone with a damp cloth and taking much heat out.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I do Pizzas with great results at 500.  I am not convinced that hotter is better at least with all purpose flour.

Beyond that, try getting the stone higher in the dome - I use the platesetter legs up, the grid, and the stone about 4" above that (I use 3 flour pots to raise mine).   When I cooked with the stone right on the grid, the crust was done before the toppings.  I find when the stone is higher in the dome, the top cooks faster and at the same speed as the bottom. 
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138

Totally agree with higher in dome is better.

GM

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

• Thanks I'll try higher in the dome.  @ grege345 i'm using my iphone.
  • JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    Rotate the iPhone so the volume buttons are on the bottom when you take the picture, it is the wrong way but for here it's the right way
  • Higher is hotter though. 

I'd try backing down the temps to 550ish? 

You are close to nailing it -IMO.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    I just found a fancy graphic making app.  So fooling around with it, I put together this graphic on how I do pizza.  Lots of thermal mass, and space in between layers.  I also find parchment paper to be essential.  Even though some of the very best pies I have ever had were done brick oven on corn meal in CT, parchment paper works quite well for me.

Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    @CheeseheadinAz seems like you already figured out how to select photo from existing. After you have selected photo and it has finished uploading the pic shows up as a tiny pic under your comment box. Before you select post comment, touch that little photo. After you touch that photo you'll see insert image-delete image on the bottom of that tiny pic. Select insert image. That should do it. Now press post comment.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• grege345 said:
    @CheeseheadinAz seems like you already figured out how to select photo from existing. After you have selected photo and it has finished uploading the pic shows up as a tiny pic under your comment box. Before you select post comment, touch that little photo. After you touch that photo you'll see insert image-delete image on the bottom of that tiny pic. Select insert image. That should do it. Now press post comment.
    Once you've inserted your image into your post you can touch the photo again and delete it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.