Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SECOND ATTEMPT ON BRISKET, A LITTLE FRUSTRATED....

Options
Had my 8.35lb brisket on for 12.5 hrs. Pulled it off, wrapped it for 30 min. When I started slicing it, one half was dry and the other was very juicy and tender. Only used a dry-rub and no mopping during smoke. My temp was at 225-250 the whole smoke. Any suggestions for next time.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
     Any suggestions for next time.
    Sir if you will give a few more details i will be glad to take a shot at answering your question if no one else does.
    1. Which part exactly was dry?
    2. Which part exactly was juicy and tender?
    3.What was the "feel" or texture of the brisket over the entire girth?
    4. At what internal temp did you pull?
    5. Did you cook grated or panned or a combination of both?
    6. What was the general taste of the finished meat?
    7. What was the the color or hue of the very center?
    8. What grade and cut was it?
    9. Last and most important did you try any trickery? Be honest on this one.
    If you will answer these few simple questions i will be glad to help you get on the right path if no one else does.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    What internal temperature was the brisket when you pulled it? Did it probe tender?

There are two muscles on a brisket. The point, which has a lot of inter-muscular fat and is similar to rib-eye texture. The other muscle is the flat, which is lean and has more of a sirloin texture. There is a nice layer of fat that is in between each muscle. The dry meat on one half was likely the flat, which is easy to overcook and dry out. When checking for doneness, focus on the flat.

Chop up the flat, add bbq sauce and make chopped beef sammies!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    edited April 2014
    Options
    More importantly what type of lump did you use and what beer were you drinking?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SGH
    Options
    @matthewj16
    henapple said:
    what beer were you drinking?
    That may have been the problem. Lets hope not.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    SGH said:

@matthewj16

henapple said:

what beer were you drinking?

That may have been the problem. Lets hope not.

It's forgivable if it was. It's been the reason for several crappy dinners around my house. ;)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • SGH
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    It's forgivable if it was.
    Absolutely forgivable brother!! Many years ago alcohol was the problem in my life. It cost me an untold fortune that i can never get back. When it almost cost me the love of my life i let it go. Its kind of ironic now that i dont drink or do drugs most of my problems in life have went away. Looking back all the trouble i ever got in i was either drunk, high ,or both. The world seems so much clearer now.

Status- Standing by.