Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yada yada yada

KennyG
KennyG Posts: 949
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
You've heard this all before and this time Nature Boy doesn't get to have all the fun. Having recently enjoyed a truly fine piece of meat at one of Cleveland's better steak houses, I set out last evening to match that great steak house experience. [p]It was a piece of cake! I was inspired by NB's dinner plans of yesterday and I stopped on the way home and was able to find a couple of good lookin' certified Angus filets. Did nothing special, brushed with a 50/50 blend of extra virgin and butter and dusted with CharCrust garlic peppercorn. Little junior was unusually cooperative and with a fresh load of lump with the big pieces at the bottom, he was showing me 1070* only 15 minutes after plugging in the electric starter.[p]2 minutes per side near, but not in, the direct flames and a 6 minute "dwell" shutdown. yielded a pair of superb, medium rare, pieces of beef. My compliments to the cow. I was going to take some pics to post but just couldn't put my fork down.[p]It's amazing how the Egg can change your whole outlook on life after an otherwise lousy day.[p]bottle.gif

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    KennyG,
    There must have been a PBR at diner too.[p]Tim -- thanks for the snow from your way today![p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    KennyG,
    Yeeeee Ha.
    It is amazing how a beautifully egged steak can fix most of the craziness of a lousy day! Sounds great. I have been doing some experimenting with Char Crust, and have found the garlic peppercorn to be great on pork chops. I prefer the hickory molasses on steaks, but only a light dusting (fairly strong flavor). The garlic peppercorn can go on steaks much thicker, but for some reason my tastebuds like the HM with steak. I still have only tried those two flavors. Which others are must-haves??[p]Glad you had a great finish to your day!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Tim M,
    3 inches here at 8:00 am. Still coming down hard.
    So rare these days. Sure is pretty.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Tim M
    snowegg.jpg
    <p />Nature Boy,[p]Same down here. We have atleast 3 maybe 4 inches by now. This is the first good snow we have had in 4 years!! We had 1-2 inches last March and thats been all. I gotta get the Jeep out and go riding soon!![p]Tim
  • Ranger1
    Ranger1 Posts: 48
    KennyG, You have inspired me! It's 25 mph sustained winds, sleet, outside air temps. of 32* and falling and I'm off today! I think I'm goin to town and find me something to cook..... Maybe this will rate as a new spectator sport: Extreme Egging or Egging with an Attitude.... I see special t-shirts and stuff. Ranger 1[p]
  • Tim M
    Ranger1,
    And to think that some think BBQ is seasonal - haha.
    I figure any month with a vowel in it is good for q'ing. Is that seasonal??[p]
    Tim

• Nature Boy
    Tim M,
    Any plans on brushing that guy off and firing it up??
    What a great shot. Have fun doing donuts in your jeep.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • KennyG
    Nature Boy,[p]On the Char Crust topic, give "spicey smokey southwest" a try. It's probably the most intense blend and goes well with blander tasting fare such as filets vs. marbled steaks and pork and chicken. [p]We are getting buried in snow also - just a day in the life in Cleveland in January.[p]K~G
    "snow - an unnecessary freezing of water"

• KennyG
    Ranger1,[p]It's a beautiful thing. I've got the Eggs in my south facing garage for the winter. I simply roll one to just within the garage door and fire up. A big box fan on top of my PBR garage fridge blows the smoke out the door and I cook and imbibe sheltered from the elements. The neighbors think I'm looney tunes.[p]K~G

• KennyG
    Tim M,[p]It's good for you and builds character. Don't feel bad, we are getting buried again as usual. BTW, as I left for work this morning the wife informed me that if I want steaks again anytime soon, don't even think about taking the Jeep.[p]K~G

• Ranger1
    KennyG, Well, I don't have any neighbors unless you count the bears or deer in that category so I suppose that does not matter a whole bunch! I bet your neighbors STILL ask you what's cookin though don't they... I say fire up the fan and let the smoke go! r1

• Ranger1
    Tim M, I could not agree more..... The picture of the SnowEgg was great! r1

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    KennyG,
    Yum. Which steakhouse and where did you find the Angus?[p]Sometime around 12:30 last night, my wife declared that she wanted a steak and wanted to know how long it would take for me fire up the egg. I replied “Mmmmmmmmmmmm” as I drifted off to sleep. [p]Tonight the Mr. Egg will get to eat some Sloviean Sausage. I am having my wife make some Paprika Gravy to go over some noodles. I cannot wait.[p]RhumAndJerk[p]

• RhumAndJerk
    Nature Boy,
    Hickory Molasses is one of my favorites. The one flavor that took me the longest to try was the Original. It quickly rivaled the HMCC. Give it a try.[p]Did you use the Guinness for gravy?[p]RhumAndJerk[p]

• Nature Boy
    RhumAndJerk,
    Fancy! Slovian Sausage with Paprika Gravy. Wow.[p]Gonna serve some Venezualean Beaver Cheese?[p]Enjoy

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Tim M,
    Two inches monday and 6 last night. Of course the first thing I did when I got home this am was shovel off the patio and around the egg. The driveway can wait!!!!![p]H[p]

• Nature Boy
    RhumAndJerk,
    You made a great post about gravy last year. Can you do it without meat drippings? Do you have a recipe for Guinness gravy? I am WAY interested.[p]Thanks for the tip on the original CC.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • RhumAndJerk
    Nature Boy,
    Nothing Fancy here. This is somewhat of a Cleveland standard meal. The sausages are merely a type of Kielbasa, smoked and loaded with garlic. Just heat and serve, on the Egg of course.[p]The Paprika gravy is fairly simple also. Basically it is just stock, onions, garlic and lots of Paprika and thickened with sour cream and flour. It is gravy that is good enough to eat as a soup. The gravy will go over just plain noodles.[p]Sorry to disappoint, this qualifies as a simple meal.[p]By the way, I will only server Venezuelan Beaver Cheese with Squid ink sauce and garnished with Yak “fries”, maybe a side of smoked llama hooves.[p]Happy Grilling,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Nature Boy
    RhumAndJerk,
    Yeah, simple maybe, but it sounds good. "Slovenian Sausage and Paprika Gravy, with a Bed of Noodles".[p]I like the Llama Hoof combination![p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • RhumAndJerk,
    That stuff must really, really be bad, if it gets relegated with all those others![p]Dr. C

• RhumAndJerk
    Nature Boy,
    Of course you can make gravy without Pan Drippings. [p]You could use canned stock just watch the salt content. I do have a recipe for porter gravy somewhere, but I would just start by sautéing some shallots, garlic, carrots and celery in butter. Mushrooms also add a nice flavor. You do not need much of each veggie, I suggest no more that a quarter cup of each. Make sure that all of the veggies are in a fine dice and cook them until they brown but not burned. Add the stock and/or beer and simmer for 10-20 minutes. At this point you could strain out the veggies, but I leave mine in. Then just thicken the liquid with cornstarch and water. If the color needs to be darker, I use Kitchen Bouquet but it sounds like your Magi Seasoning would work just as well. [p]I guess that without pan drippings, you would call it a sauce instead of gravy, but who cares.[p]I have mixed feelings on using marinade as gravy. The more that I think about it, the marinade has served its purpose, pitch it. I was just thinking the using a bottle of Guinness for a marinade seemed wasteful; the stuff is just so good. Then again, when you start with premium ingredients you end up with exceptional results. I have made a Guinness Chocolate Cake in the past, talk about rich.[p]Start with fresh ingredients for the sauce or gravy.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• KennyG
    RhumAndJerk,[p]The steakhouse was the Lock Keeper of course. Giant Eagle carries certified Angus in the butcher case, I did the store in Broadview Hts. Don't go to bed without first loading up the Egg with lump and elec starter in place. You'll be able to honor the wife's requests with a simple flip of a switch hehehe. You're not gonna have fun cooking in this weather, maybe it will stop snowing. No Q for me tonite, it will be beer and wings (Hooters or BW3) after bowling with the boys.[p]K~G

• RhumAndJerk
    KennyG,
    No Q-ing in this weather? I am disappointed … And you call yourself a Clevelander. (Just kidding)[p]Go for BW-3’s. If it is the one over on Pearl Rd., they are right next to each other. My prefect BW-3 meal is 12 wings: six Hot BBQ and six Teriyaki. You also need to get a basket of Buffalo Chips. Oh yeah, and a 23 oz. Budweiser. On a side note, those glasses are perfect for the Guinness and Cider we are currently talking about.[p]Have fun,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• KennyG
    RhumAndJerk,[p]If I didn't have to go straight from the office to Yorktown Lanes after work, I'd be Eggin' those fresh brats the wife brought home from West Side the other day. I know they're waiting for me in the fridge and they remain gentle on my mind. Steamed in PBR and then grilled, served up in a big old roll and covered with habanero kraut ..... yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaa![p]Speaking of wings, have you had Quaker Steak and Lube's out of Sharon PA? I understand they are coming to town. If you don't have time to cook them yourself, these are the next best IMHO.[p]K~G

• RhumAndJerk
    Kennyg,
    I have been to Quaker Steak and Lube. I thought that they already had a place in the Flats. The one that they are going to build is next to the big Cinemark near Lockkeeper’s.
    BW-3’s is every bit as good, IMHO. Wings are something that I leave to other people to cook. [p]Which stand in the West Side Market did your wife get the Brauts from? I always buy my sausages from the Euclid Sausage Shop over by City Roast. He has far and away the best sausages in the Market.[p]Happy Sliding,
    RhumAndJerk

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Tim M, it looks like you need a roof! We had about 7 inches on the white stuff last night - now it's just plain COLD!