Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roasted Leg of Lamb...pics

pantsypants
pantsypants Posts: 1,191
edited April 2014 in Lamb
Slow roasting a leg of lamb. Cooking it low abd slow at 225 Rolled in butter and fresh herbs and using olive wood chunks I can only assume this will be amazing
Toronto

Comments

• Will you be taking it to higher temperatures like pulled pork, or lower temperatures for slicing?

Looks very interesting.  Believe it or not I have never done lamb, other than as kabobs. I will have to try this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• pantsypants
    Slicing will be the way to go with this guy , I don't know how well it would be as pulled as there isnt all that much fat .
    Toronto
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Looks good. I always wanted to try pulled lamb but I'll use shoulder.

Thinking of doing boneless leg of lamb in SV next week but I'm confused already ... Douglas Baldwin says 130F/24h, SousVideSupreme recipe has 131F/48h.  LS what do you say?
    canuckland
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Looks good. I always wanted to try pulled lamb but I'll use shoulder.

Thinking of doing boneless leg of lamb in SV next week but I'm confused already ... Douglas Baldwin says 130F/24h, SousVideSupreme recipe has 131F/48h.  LS what do you say?
    48 hours sounds long. I was pleased with my previous 24 hour SV boneless leg.
  • pantsypants
    Any thoughts for a gravy or sauce ?
    Toronto
  • Canugghead
    edited April 2014
    @billybon, thanks, I did more reading, plan to try 133F/24h.

@pantsypants, I googled ... it ranges from Modernist Foodie's simple pan juice to Douglas Baldwin's fancy mint pesto sauce with parmesan cheese. Sorry not really helping.
    canuckland
  • pantsypants
    100% success !!
    Toronto
  • 100% AWESOME!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Canugghead
    That's a beauty!
    canuckland
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I can only assume this will be amazing
    Your assumption is absolutely correct!!!! Looks outstanding my friend. Skip the mint sauce brother as they are awful. Again excellent job!!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• pantsypants
    Yeah I ended up making a veal stock wine and sage reduction . It was delicious
    Toronto
  • Cremon
    Cremon Posts: 21
    edited June 2014
    Your pictures are very inspiring. Dear God the sliced picture is stunning!!  Dude you rocked the socks on that thing!!!  Holy smokes!! I am a lamb freak and want to do lamb in my brand new egg.  I've done em in my oven before but never again.  I am doing a leg of lamb on Fathers Day.  I prefer bone out like you.  Did you do yours direct heat or did you use the platesetter?  I am going to primarily do what you did here since yours was so successful.  This will be like the 3rd thing I have cooked in this BGE.  It's still brand spankin' new.

So... how much did your leg weigh?
    How long did you cook it?
    Was it 225 degrees the whole time?

Sorry to be so nosey but you truly knocked that one out of the park.  Juicy medium rare pink slices of divine lamb goodness.  I want to follow your recipe, Sir!
    Marietta, GA

Big Green Egg XL, 
    Cheap char grill for quick grilling
    110,000 BTU outdoor propane burner with an 18" Chinese wok.
  • pantsypants
    @Cremon

actually this guy was bone in but untrimmed , It shouldn't make a difference .

I probably cooked it at 250 and then once it hit 115 I turned the egg up  to 375 for the last 30 minutes (or until the internal temp was 130 ) as you dont really want to sear Lamb as the fat becomes unpleasant .  Kicking the egg up to 375 was key to giving it a beautiful color .

I covered it in butter and fresh herbs . But i think next time i would cover it in Duck fat instead of butter but Butter really worked great .

I also used a bit of wood. I had some olive wood that was gifted to me from @littlesteven , that I used . It was amazing and quite simple .

Do you have a Thermapen ? or a thermometer so you will know the internal temp ?

Toronto
  • Cremon
    edited June 2014
    @pantsypants
    I have a Thermapen.  I bought the XL and got a lot of accessories with it.  About the only thing I did NOT buy was the pizza stone.  I did a prime rib roast as my second dish in this thing and it was amazing.  I took it off when it hit 116 degrees and let it rest for 25 minutes and then put it back in at 550 degrees for 12 minutes and my paste crusted on it.  For lamb I know I want it hotter than 116 when I take it off.  My prime rib was 8 lbs and it took 4 hours to hit 116 degrees with my egg set for 225 degrees.

How heavy was your leg and about how long did it take for you to get it to 115 degrees?

Thank you so much for sharing your recipe.  I really appreciate that.  I know I could experiment and maybe make something good but when I saw your picture with that sliced lamb I knew that was EXACTLY what I want to serve my family and the in laws for Father's Day.  Nothing I have ever pulled out of the oven has looked a tenth as good as that leg roast of yours.  I want that.  I can make a gravy using lamb stock from the farmers market with some rosemary and marsala wine.

A picture of my prime rib from about a week ago is below
    Marietta, GA

Big Green Egg XL, 
  • pantsypants
    Your plan sounds amazing . As does that prime rib. Seems like you are well on your way to being an eggspert I think I made a light butter rosemary sauce to go with this lamb ... But honestly it went unused. That lamb was so delicious !!! Congrats on your egg purchase and welcome to the cult . How do you like the xl ? I have a large but I actually bought an xl that I am picking up at egg fest on Saturday . Pretty eggcited
    Toronto
  • Cremon
    I love this XL dearly.  I got one of those fancy looftlighters which makes lighting it a breeze.  I got the XL instead of the large because I am a happily married father with 3 teenage kids with healthy appetites.  I have a cheap little grill for making hot dogs and hamburgers but if I have a lot of people over I might use the egg for burgers.  It was a toss up between the large and the XL. 

I picked the XL because I would rather worry about wasting charcoal than realize I don't have enough room for something.  

My first meal with this did not go well.  I made baby back ribs and they had excellent flavor but they were not tender because during phase 2 with the foil cover - I didm;t get the super wide foil so my wraps were open on top.  Typical newbie mistake I am told.  I won't mess that up again.  But I love the egg.

My outdoor cooking setup is the egg, the small grill and a Thai street food vendor burner that burns at 110,000 BTU that I literally had to sign a risk waiver to even buy.  So I have a nice suite of tools at my disposal on my deck for summer food.  

I have made some really amazing Asian dishes in that wok.  The kids love it when I make fried rice - every bit as good and authentic as a Chinese or Japanese restaurant because of the intense heat.

Summer should be a lot of fun this year.  I have wanted a green egg for years and it was a present to myself for having a good year.
    Marietta, GA

Big Green Egg XL, 
  • pantsypants
    Wow that all sounds absolutely amazing!

We have the large it's juste and the wife.
    But we decided to get another egg and having a larger one just made more sense as we always have people over and there have been many times that there has not been enough space on the egg to do what we want.
    So after this saturday it won't be much of an issue !

Congrats on your year and your new purchase .
    Let me know how the lamb turns out ( even though I know the answer already)

Can you send a pic of your grill center?
    Sounds amazing
    Toronto
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @pantsypants‌ : superbly done!

@Canugghead‌ : I vote for mint pesto sauce, and SV for 24hrs. I did a boneless leg for 48hrs once and was not too impressed.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Cremon
    Everything is on wheels so this weekend I'll pull the whole outdoor kitchen together and snap a photo.

Marietta, GA

Big Green Egg XL, 
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    That looks Awesome..Great job..A great site I have used for Lamb recipes is the Greek site Kalofagas..I did the slow roasted Leg of Lamb..It was fantastic..Once again your Lamb looks Fantastic.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....