Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pastrami today

Options
Cookinbob
Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
edited April 2014 in EggHead Forum
I've been wanting to do this for a while, so I picked up a couple of extra corned beef flats around St. Pats when the prices were good.  Weather forecast was promising, so prepped for todays cook.

The process started yesterday morning, I started soaking them for about 30 hours total with 3 changes of water to get some of the salt out.  
This morning, I rubbed them down with equal parts black pepper and ground coriander, than onto the egg around noon at about 250 grid temp with maple for smoke.  As I plan to slice it thin for sandwiches, I did not worry about cooking all the way to 200, pulled them after about 4 hours with the internal temp at 175.  They look and smell great, but I am going to chill overnight in the fridge so they slice nice.  I will try to post some sliced pics when that is completed.
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Your gonna love it! I have access to a slicer so that was a huge help
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    My favorite. Hmmm. Hmmmm. You ate going to love it. When my son is home for the weekend. That is the request.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Cookinbob
    Options
    Well this is my first time.  Did I do it right? 

By the way, I stole a taste on the way to the fridge - definitely tastes like Pastrami.  I do have a slicer so will slice it thin, some will get steamed for hot pastrami on rye - I have read that is how it is done.
    Rochester, NY
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Did it right? I do it like you did it and it was as good or better than any pastrami sandwich I've ever had. So I think so
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Options

Yours look great.

Here is a couple other popular ways to make pastrami from corned beef.

I like Thirdeye's wet pressure cooker finish. it's close to any N.Y.Deli I've found. But you don't need a pressure cooker for great pastrami.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/05/beef-pastrami.html

• Cookinbob
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Thanks for the link @Serial Griller.  I read the post, and was pretty close to the mark as far as time and temp - glad to see it, though I did not do a wet finish which probably would have been beneficial

I sliced it up and steamed some slices over boiling water for sandwiches. I missed the fact that the whole cut is steamed as a "finish" to the cook.   It is not as tender as I thought it would be, but sliced thin it is fine, and the flavor is excellent.  The fat cap on the one piece was really thick, I wish I had trimmed before rubbing and cooking.

If I try this again, I may go with cold smoking for a couple of hours prior to the hot smoke just to increase the smokiness.
    Rochester, NY
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Sounds like you did good! The fat cap usually turns to gelatin and can be removed before slicing.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Try curing your own.  It isn't that difficult, especially if you do a dry cure, and the quality of the meat will be much better.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    I have not seen a dry cure for Pastrami, only a brine cure in Ruhlman's "Charcuterie".  Can you share a recipe or link?
    Rochester, NY
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I use Morton's Tender Quick for dry curing since it is readily available in this part of Pennsylvania due to all the Amish using it for curing meats.Some people use Pink Salt instead.

If you do a search for "Montreal Smoked Meat" on this forum you will see some recipes and pictures.  You can also Google "Tender Quick" and find lots of recipes.  Very easy to use - I usually cure it for 10 days and then smoke it.  I do the cure in ziplock bags turning them twice/day.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA