Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Menards' lump sale

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,893
edited April 2014 in EggHead Forum
Saw they are having a sale for $2.99 after $2 mail in rebate for 8.8 # bags of RO. Limit of just 4 bags per household, but why not grab 4 at that price!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Yeah, wish Menard's was here in the east. They've had other sales/specials that weren't available for shipping, but the drive to Ohio wasn't really worth it. ;)

Hope things are well @RRP, looks like the weather might cooperate and I'll get my Rutland installed tomorrow.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • 2beast
    2beast Posts: 50
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up  ^:)^
  • Acorn
    Acorn Posts: 163
    Options
    @RRP........The Varsity Chili Recipe is on fire here in Atlanta. I "NEED" chili dogs a couple of times a month and as i commented earlier its spot on. I have shared this with at least 5 co-workers and its been 100% positive results. Thanks again,

I get RO from restaurant depot here in town, its been $9.98 for the 17.5lb. bag since last summer.
    Cheers!!!
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • RRP
    Options
    Glad you and your friends like it! I always make a double batch and then freeze it in pucks! BTW next time you make some ABTs bury some of this knock off sauce under the cheese - it rocks!
  • tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    Options
    I grabbed 4 yesterday, and now I regret it.  Nothing bigger in any of the bags bigger than a briquette.  VERY DUSTY!  My egg was nearly empty last night when getting ready for meatloaf, 3/4s of a bag to fill it.  Was not very happy with the stuff from Menard's at all.  But when that is what you have, that is what you have.  My RO buy from Walmart is behind all the lumber I picked up yesterday to finish the raised beds for the garden in the garage.  Too tired to move it.

Guess it will burn, but by far the worst bags I have gotten so far of RO.
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • RRP
    edited April 2014
    Options
    tkleager...

That's a shame - I have bought many bags from Menard's over the years and have never had that problem. One thing I do though is I make sure each bag feels solid or robust like it is full plus I even give each a shake. Bits and pieces mean a limp sack and you can even hear the tiny pieces slip and slide in the bag. Breakage comes from rough handling in the warehouse so I like to dig into the pallet and select my bags.
  • tkleager
    Options
    @RRP - My Menard's has all of theirs stacked on an end cap, nothing on a pallet.  Only saw it in one place in store yesterday while I was there picking up lumbar and seed.  I watch there regularly for RO in the 17lb bags, but they don't have it.  Only HD and WM have it in 17 bags in my area.  I should have dug more yesterday I guess.  I'm betting now what I got was probably on the bottom of the pallet when they unloaded it.
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

A good deal, too bad they now limit the quantity.  Looks like for stocking up, we're left with the Walmart deal. 

Had the guys in the yard pull down a fresh skid and bring it out to the truck every year.  Top 2/3rds of the skid, no limp sacks.  Worked great, in and out.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    I'm gonna stock up tomorrow! That's my go to lump. I'm gonna get 4 bags after work every day this week. That's 34 cents a lb!
    NW IOWA
  • RRP
    Options
    Philly35 said:
    I'm gonna stock up tomorrow! That's my go to lump. I'm gonna get 4 bags after work every day this week. That's 34 cents a lb!
    I assume you caught that 4 bag limit meaning per household for the rebate, but maybe you have multiple mailing addresses AND names - right? OTOH even at full price of $4.99 for 8.8# isn't a bad price at all!
  • RRP
    Options
    Philly35 said:
    I assume you caught that 4 bag limit meaning per household for the rebate, but maybe you have multiple mailing addresses AND names - right? OTOH even at full price of $4.99 for 8.8# isn't a bad price at all!
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    Well no reason ya can't put down others name and addresses!
    NW IOWA
  • RRP
    Options
    Philly35 said:
    Well no reason ya can't put down others name and addresses!

I never said that, but to get the $2 per bag rebate you have to mail in the form along with the receipt - you pay $4.99 per bag up front.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    I took advantage of this yesterday, got 4 bags from menards.  My store supply was sad though, many bags had holes in it with packing tape wrapped over the holes, but I found 4 decent bags.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • RRP
    Options
    NDG said:
    I took advantage of this yesterday, got 4 bags from menards.  My store supply was sad though, many bags had holes in it with packing tape wrapped over the holes, but I found 4 decent bags.
    Same story here! I just came home with 4 myself and I have never seen such a sorry looking stack of ripped and taped bags! I dug down through 15 bags before I found the first good one. Even then I kept sorting as I could tell bags that appeared half the size and obviously full of crumbs and dust! t'wasn't purdy at all!
  • Enders
    Enders Posts: 29
    Options
    The Menards deal can't be beat, it's too bad it's such low volume, 4 bags.....  I headed over to Wally World and picked up 11 17.6 lbs at $8.  That's equivalent to 22 of the Menards bags!

XL BGE, Medium Project Egg

Indianapolis

• RRP
    Options
    ??? You mean your WM is still honoring that $8 sale that went off a couple weeks ago? Ours has the 8.8# bags back up to $6.93 and no 17.6# bags at all!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    RRP said:

??? You mean your WM is still honoring that $8 sale that went off a couple weeks ago? Ours has the 8.8# bags back up to $6.93 and no 17.6# bags at all!

I think if they have any of the 17.6# bags left, they are selling them for $8. The WM near me is out.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tkleager
    Options
    @RRP - Took your advice and did a little digging this morning at Menard's.  I found 1 bag in the pile that didn't rattle like the others.  I took a chance.  Opened it up and there are a good amount of chunks that are 5-6 inches and some bigger.  Not the small crap like last two bags.  Will see how this goes tonight.  It is 23:49, and I have the egg coming up to 225 for Maple-Bourbon Ham to lunch tomorrow.  Just need to look better when I buy my lump.
    Eggheads Everywhere Map