Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easter - fresh, skin on picnic ham

Options
So... Always nervous about doing a holiday dinner without testing first, but this year I have no choice, so looking to everyone for help.

Picked up a 8.5lb fresh picnic ham, skin on.  Lot of kids at dinner, so leaning more towards a maple glaze, but can't find a lot of info.  Most recipes are for hams already cured/cooked...

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    If you want it to taste like "ham" you are going to need to cure it. You have enough time if you start it now you can get it ready for Easter. You will need Pink Curing Salt (not Himalayan Pink Salt). Here's a great recipe and writeup:

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Stacyk
    Stacyk Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks DMV. I think CenTex is a neighbor so I may have to reach out. To cure it says a day/ pound and I've got 7 days with a 9 lb ham. What will it taste like if I don't cure it - pulled pork?
  • DMW
    Options
    If you don't cure it it will be more of a pork roast. It is much leaner than pork shoulder which is what pulled pork is usually made from. The cure time is half day/pound. If yours is 9lb with skin you have time.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Stacyk
    Options
    Thanks DMV!  Greatly appreciate the help!  One more question - I bought this with skin on.  Should I slit it, or even remove it, before brining?  
  • DMW
    Options
    Remove the skin and aitch bone before the brine.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SenecaTheYounger
    SenecaTheYounger Posts: 368
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Brining or curing?

When I do a porchetta roast with the same cut, I leave the skin on, but slice it into a diamond pattern spaced less than an inch.  This is an extended cook, so the skin gets a chance to crisp up, but it is very tough.

If you are glazing the ham or doing any type of crust (giner bread crumbs, or crackle glaze for example), it won't stick to the skin, and the skin may an unwelcome surprise when it hits the mouth.

If you want an easy to slice ham (or roast, I don't know which you are doing), then removing it is probably advised.

If you are curing it with a sweet cure (versus simply bringing), you may want to inject the cure along the bone to speed the curing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• DMW
    Options
    @SenecaTheYounger‌ The recipe I linked to is a wet cure brine with a glaze applied during smoking. And I like the idea of injecting along the bone. Last time I didn't do that and the cure didn't reach fully to the bone. A little longer would have worked, but injecting along the bone would have surely done it.

Thanks for the tip!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Stacyk
    Options
    Thanks both.  Will be doing a sweet glaze so will remove skin.  Also found a copy of Charcurterie on ibooks so that will give me some light reading tonight...
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    When you said you were brining, I wasn't sure if you opted out of a cure and were simply doing a brine.  My apologies.

Injecting along the bone will cut the cure time, but it is done on larger hams also in order to avoid bone taint.  I do not think bone taint is a critical issue, but injecting it will speed the cure.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seneca Falls, NY

• Stacyk
    Options
    ok - one last question.  Amazon delivered the pink salt and the cure/brine is going.  Thanks again to all for the help.  Last question - since this is a cure, do I need to keep the ham refrigerated?  Seems like a dumb question, but I can't find a reference, and since curing predates refrigeration, I thought I'd ask.
  • DMW
    Options
    Stacyk said:

ok - one last question.  Amazon delivered the pink salt and the cure/brine is going.  Thanks again to all for the help.  Last question - since this is a cure, do I need to keep the ham refrigerated?  Seems like a dumb question, but I can't find a reference, and since curing predates refrigeration, I thought I'd ask.

Yes, you'd do need to keep this refrigerated.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SenecaTheYounger
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Until it is cured, you should keep it refrigerated.
    And after it is cured, since you are not hanging it to dry, I would keep it refrigerated too.

Believe it or not though, you technically could hang it to dry unwrapped at room temperature, after curing actually.  But no real need to do so, unless you wanted to age it and intensify flavor. This is NOT typically done with city hams.  I'm just saying, a gent could if he wanted to.

In parts of Italy, dry cured prosciuttos (and this is not a dry cure, I know) are buried in salt and weighted at room temperature, to cure.  Actually, ambient temperature is more accurate.

City hams used to be cured at room temperature as well, on their way to market.

And in parts of France today it is still de rigueur to keep a crock of sweet pickle brine (which is a wet/quick cure, not merely a 'brine') on the counter, in the kitchen at room temperature, and to throw a joint of meat in it whenever you take one out to cook.  These may be left for weeks at room temperature.  The brine becomes its own strain of goodness, and is merely added to, and occasionally boiled (and skimmed) as needed.

Regardless of our tendency to panic in the US, a good many (most) cured foods do not require refrigeration. Gravlax is an ambient temperature cure as well, originally.  Fish and salt.  Nothing more. And nothing more needed, either, unless you are adding flavors like herbs and aquavit.

But try telling that to your wife.

Once you handle it (slicing your home made bacon), yes, you ought to refrigerate.  But unmolested, uncut, you could leave that bacon sitting on the counter as long as you wanted.  it would merely dry (and intensify) in flavor.

Amazing but true.

Seneca Falls, NY

• DMW
    Options
    @SenecaTheYounger‌ Great info, I didn't know you could hang a City Ham. If you did, similar time as for a Country Ham? And looking for the same "good mold" characteristics?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SenecaTheYounger
    edited April 2014
    Options
    You could, but no one does, usually for practical reasons.

Prosciuttos are usually much more dry to begin with, having had much more of their water removed duringg the cure as compared to city hams, which have had water ADDED during their cure.

So prosciuttos dry more slowly, which is good.  The city ham would  shrink rapidly on the exterior, while remaining highly moist on the interior. 

A wet cured city ham, with higher moisture content, would dry quickly on the exterior, and unevenly throughout.  Consider a dry-cured country ham.  It is also pressed under salt (it is, actually, not at all different from prosciutto, except it just has low-grade sugars to counter the harsh salt and is typically smoked), and so being dry, dries further more steadily.

I would not advocate drying a city ham for this reason.

Seneca Falls, NY

• Stacyk
    Options
    ham is out of the curing bath, rinsed and in the fridge waiting for the morning smoke.  Wish me luck.

Also, any guidelines on how much faster something cooks once it's brined?  I know you need to cook to temp and this is not an exact science, but just curious if there's a rule of thumb out there...
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @SenecaTheYounger‌ That's some great info there brother.
    @Stacyk‌ Brined meat will cook faster than unbrined meat. If you give the temp you cooking at I can get you real close to cook time.
    @DNW brother I'm getting the feeling that you should be sending me advice and that I should pay very close attention to it. You give great advice and it's always true and accurate. You bring a lot of knowledge to this forum. I can tell by your responses that you are among the elite cooks on this forum. I hope others have noticed as well and heed your advice.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Stacyk
    Options
    Thanks again to all!  Ham came out amazing and definitely will be back again next year.  Will need to purchase a food quality saw to properly butcher for next year.