Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

25LB TURKEY, ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR SUCCESS ???

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We usually deep fry our turkey but this year something diffrent sounds good.
Any suggestions for cooking this monster on the Egg??? Time, temp, etc...[p]Thanks, David H.

Comments

• Mik of Alaska
    Options
    D. HENDERSON, Got my 25#er ready to be Mad Maxed. Go to the Naked whiz web site and go to the recipe section. Sorry that I can't do the link thing yet but I'm trying to learn. Don't forget to do the gravy!! Mik

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options

Hope this helps.[p]Cheers,
    New Bob

[ul][li]Mad Max's Turkey Link[/ul]
  • Mik of Alaska
    Options
    New Bob, As usual "you da man" Mik

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Mik of Alaska,
    Thanks,
    Just trying to help when I can.[p]Happy Holidays,
    New Bob

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    D. HENDERSON,[p]Dang, that's a beast. I like the smaller birds, but I say stick to the plan. Follow Max's recipe adjusting for your MLB steroid bird, or go with the Alton Brown blast at 500* for a half hour then cook at 350* until done, unstuffed.[p]Good luck!
    Cornfed

• Jingles
    Options
    I would do a trial run with your set up and the turkey just to make sure every thing fits. that's a big bird, depending on your egg it might be close.
    Jingles
  • The Virginian
    Options
    D. HENDERSON,
    I am not sure that a 25 pounder is going to fit in a large egg. I know Max has had some issues with large birds in the past. I suggest you do a mock setup a day or more ahead of time and make sure that it fits. If not, plan on using the oven or getting a smaller bird. [p]Brett

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    D. HENDERSON,
    i think it will fit fine. . . like the virginian said. . .take it outside today and do a test fit with it in your set up .. .if you don't have the right size pan, go to the grocery and buy a couple of throw away pans and stack them inside of each other (to approximate the thickness of a normal roasting pan), and bend them a little to fit the egg . ...[p]your bigger challenge, if roasting per my method, will be getting it done before running out of charcoal in the egg (if you figure 20 minutes per pound at 325 degrees, its gonna take a good 8 - 9 hours, and at 325 degrees i find that a full load of lump lasts in the 7 - 8 hour range. ..so you may need to do a re-load about halfway through. . .but that shouldn't be too big a deal. . .pain the neck maybe, but not a big deal. .. .[p]go for it!![p]mad "that's one big bird" max