Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock?

Options
Going on my second cook today.  Was planning on Baby backs and Spatchcock chicken.
Question is at the farm they offered to debone, (said yes) Will this be ok to cook that way or do I need to wrap and fill it?
You guys have me curious about Spatchcock!  But now not sure if I need to adjust my thinking since its been deboned?
2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    If its deboned I'd roll it up and cook on the egg. Your going to have a lot of cooks in your future so why not right. A deboned bird is gonna be very floppy and hard to handle in my opinion.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    When I have deboned chicken's, with the assistance of Jaques Pépin, I have stuffed and tied the bird. For the timing of the cook it will cook faster without the bones. You should be able to roast it without stuffing or tying just apply your rub all over and you should be great!

David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Do you take the skin off of a deboned bird, or do you just roll it up with the rest? Been thinking about trying this.
    NOLA
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    Skin on.

If it is truly deboned, I would agree with DMurf.

It is also difficult to ignore grege345's world view: if you are gifted the unexpected, enjoy it. Save the spatched **** (always good) for another day.

I would suggest roasting indirect. Dry the skin for a few hours at least, uncovered, in your refrigerator, before cooking.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    Used Dizzy Pig, Mediterraneanish rub, 400 indirect legs up, for 45 minutes.
    Was fantastic!!!! Thank you all for introducing me to Spatchcock good bye beer can chicken!

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    That's a hell of a butcher you have that deboned it for ya. Mine wil butterfly it but that's about it
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    It's a poultry farm, I just asked for them to take backbone they suggested to debone!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I want to try one, but I like the bone in to give the bird more moisture. You do have a good butcher.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.