Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Membrane

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, I give up - Is there an easy way to get the membrane off the back of spare ribs? Have cooked plenty of caveman ribs (outlaw deer - open fire - membrane on - altered state of consciousness)...but this is 1st attempt at formal preparation of classic ribs. Ribs are in fridge with JJ's rub - removing membrane seemed like more hassle than it was worth. How do you guys do it? Is there a trick? Is it really necessary? Going to bed - worked last nite & was up all day; will check back in when I wake up. Thanx - ERIC

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    E.B., is it necessary, probably not! Will it improve the ribs, probably yes! Removing the membrane allows the back side of the ribs to absorb the rub, etc. Easiest way to remove is to life it a little bit and then use a piece of paper towel to grab the membrane where it is lifted - olnly thing left to do is to pull it away. Check out Tim M's site - you can see a picture of him removing the membrane with paper towel.

• WillieB
    WillieB Posts: 21
    Options
    E.B.,
    Not really that difficult. Start in the center of the slab, work the handle end of a spoon under the membrane, then work your fingers under and pull to both sides. If it tears and you are having a problem, use a paper towel to give you a better grip on the membrane. Baby backs are even easier.
    Hope this helps some.[p]WillieB in Lubbock, Tx

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    E.B.,
    Good Morning:
    Eric, I have not had a problem removing them. Before I go
    on, I will say 90% of the ribs I do are baby backs. This
    may or may not make a difference. I take the largest end
    & with a knife I slide the blade under to first rib bone.
    Next while being carefull, I move the blade around so as
    to allow enough room the get my finger under the skin.
    at this point I am able to lift the end & using a paper
    towel, I hold one end of the ribs & pull the membrane down
    & off the piece of rib. By the time it took me to type this
    I am sure I could have skined 4-5 racks. Does it make a
    difference, I think so. Best to try things a couple of times each way & whatever works for you, is the right way.
    Hope this helps.

Earl

• mike
    mike Posts: 152
    Options
    E.B.,Hang in There,the first time I tried to remove the membrane I couldn't even find it. That was because the butcher had already removed it when my wife bought the ribs. Now I know what to look for, it is transparent and covers the back of the ribs. I start on the large rib side and slide my finger under the membrane between the two ribs to get it started, then I use a paper towel to pinch it and pull it across the ribs. After a couple of times you be able to tell others how easy it is to remove the membrane, and yes I think it makes a difference.

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    E.B.,[p]I use the paper towel method described in posts below with success. Here's an additional tip I picked up on Danny's BBQ site:[p]"Once you have a good slab, get it really cold in the fridge, or put it in the freezer for a few minutes. Very cold ribs are much easier to remove the membrane from, than barely cool or room temperature ribs."[p]Hope this helps,
    Cornfed

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    membran2.jpg
    <p />E.B.,[p]I am getting pretty good at removing the membrane. I will try to discribe my way.[p]Baby Backs:
    at the small bone end is where we start. Membrane side up. Insert a sharp small bladed knife on top of the last small bone. Insert knife between the bone and the membrane and whatever is on top (membrane, a little meat maybe). Push the blade in the whole lenght of that smallest bone (maybe 2"). Now the sharp end should be facing the end of the rack of ribs - cut towards the end of the rack from the last bone. It will only be 1/2' to an 1' of membrane loose now at the very end of the rack. Grab it with a dry paper towel and pull at a 60 deg angle backwards. Should look like this picture. [p]I don't do many spare ribs so it may be different there.[p]Tim

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    E.B.,Iv'e been pulling them off for years very easily. Use a paper towel to dry of ribs. If needed get another paper towel start at the short end and work your way back to the large end. Usually takes about 1 minute. Good luck[p]
    Car Wash Mike

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    E.B.,[p] I do it pretty much the way others have described. Only question I have for the other Eggsperts is what you normally do with spare ribs that have the "extra" chunk of meat on them -- you know, where the membrane disappears in between the rack of ribs and the aforementioned chunk. Do you cut that piece off or just tear the membrane off at that point? I've seen people do both . . .[p]MikeO
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    MikeO,[p]I've done both. Sometimes that flap pulls off with the membrane; if not, I just leave it, along with the bit of membrane underneath. [p]Cathy
  • E.B., looks like the paper method is most popular, but I still just use a pair of cat fish skinning pliers and I know others do too...

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    MikeO,
    Cutting off the flap makes a nicer presentation. I usually cut them off, rub them, and cook them on the side to munch on during the cook!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ