Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

#15lb Packer attempt about to go down

I have tried some briskets in the past, but never nailed one. I grabbed a choice 15lb brisket from the local meat market today. The goal is to eat tomorrow around 5-6pm. I will do as I always do with the bbq guru holding the egg at 225 or 250 or whatever you pros advise. I plan to rub with mustard and some seasoning of choice tonight when I get home from bowling around 9pm. I can have the egg ready as soon as 10pm most likely. I have an adjustable rig combo so I can get the brisket higher in the dome, and cook indirect with a pan of water/beer/whatever underneath. I have apple, hickory, and cherry chunks available.

With that said, what time do you pros think I should put it on, and are there any tips you have for me. I know Cen-tex helped me before (1.5yrs ago) but I still haven't nailed one.

Seeing as how I spent $73 on this monster @ 4.89/lb, I really want it to be the first home run. The plan is to check for tenderness after the guru and thermapen read 195-200* fork test, then rest in foil and cooler for at least an hour.

See, I have the basics, now I need to put it all together. Thanks for the tips and advice in advance, I will post pics as I go.

KCCO

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

Comments

• Just curious... what has been wrong with the briskets you've done in the past?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Personally, I didnt trim it correctly I would assume, I think I pulled too early, and dont know how to seperate point from flat, I also am not sure I cut across the grain or let it rest enough.

With this one I want to make burnt ends If I can donit correctly.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    If you plan on being done an hour before dinner, I would just close up the egg and keep the food warm tell its time to eat. If longer then take off and foil if you like. Just my 2 cents.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346

If you plan on being done an hour before dinner, I would just close up the egg and keep the food warm tell its time to eat. If longer then take off and foil if you like. Just my 2 cents.

I guess I would like to be done early enough to let the meat rest for the appropriate amount of time to properly reabsorb its juices. So if that means 2 hours or more or 1 hour, thats whenni want to be done. If the brisket can sit ftc'd for a couple few hours and be nice and moist, sweet.

• michigan_jason
    I asked the butcher to trim it leavinf about 1/4" of the fat across the whole piece. Here it is. Usda choice.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Good to see you back!
  • michigan_jason

Good to see you back!

Thx! Ive been lurking on a daily basis just about, just havent been posting much. Hopefully I get some solid advice for this cook and I can post some good pics.

• 250 degrees is my preference for getting the brisket done and I like to rest for 2-3 hours.  Brisket is done when it is done.  Do not rely entirely on your thermometer.  It may be done at 195 or not until 207.  Use the thermometer or a bamboo skewer to test for doneness.  There should be little resistance as the probe is passed through the meat.  If you are meeting some then it needs to cook more.  If there is none at all you may be closed to over cooked.  There is a plane of fat between the point and flat.  Cut along it and they should separate easily after cooking.  Consider injecting your brisket before cooking.  The meat has a smooth appearance when cut against the grain.  Before cooking assess the grain direction and cut off a piece against the grain.  Use this unnatural straight edge after cooking as your guide for slicing.  Brisket prices have skyrocketed this year.  Good luck.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    I would give the Franklin videos a shot-been "youtubed" since you last ventured here in the brisket world and I'm sure with the wise guidance from C_T in your past you can drive it home.  Good luck!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I got you dude. Get it on ASAP at 250/ish. Midnight is fine- we can adjust tomorrow afternoon. What rub?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • michigan_jason

I got you dude. Get it on ASAP at 250/ish. Midnight is fine- we can adjust tomorrow afternoon. What rub?

Brisket went on at 10:15 @225 grate. Used a mixture of seasonings but mostly bubba q beef rub. Hickory chunks throughout the lump, still smoking. Drip pan full of water, (still has water) 2 seperate probes in the meat, both showing IT of 169 as of now 10:49.

The goal is tobe able to rest the brisket long enough to make it the best possible.

This pic is literally the first time to dome has been opened.

• Looks like you're going to hit a home run on this one!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Looks like you're going to hit a home run on this one!

I certainly hope so, fingers crossed. Still need to learn to separate point and flat for bunt ends.

Could not look better......
    I really appreciate it, hope it tastes just as good!

• I've always found it pretty easy to separate the point from the flat. There's a layer of fat between the two and the point usually just pulls right off. Once separate, cut the point into bite sized pieces. I usually sauce them and put them back out on the egg in a covered aluminum foil pan for another hour or so.
    edited April 2014
    You nailed this one. Separating the flat and point is easy. I have some pics on here somewhere. I'll try to find. There is a large ribbon of fat and rendered connective tissue that runs through the middle of the flat and point. Your knife will slide right thought it like butter. It kind of guides itself through because the meat around it is firmer than the fat. You could also slice the brisket in half (across) right where they meet (it will be pretty obvious) and then turn that 45 degrees and slice that for burnt ends. That will
    Leave you bark on all sides of what you decide to eat plain and your burnt ends. You can also snag like 1/4 or half of that to eat before making ends. It's the best part of the brisket by far. It's not hard no matter what you decide to do.
  • Google the bbq with Franklin "the payoff"
    Video on YouTube. It shows the way to slice it whole if you decide not to separate (recommended)
  • lousubcap
    Most eggcellent cook and I am in the camp of no burnt ends-as @Cen_Tex says just rotate and slice.  You will enjoy some mighty fine eats regardless of how you proceed.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • michigan_jason
    lousubcap said:
    I would give the Franklin videos a shot-been "youtubed" since you last ventured here in the brisket world and I'm sure with the wise guidance from C_T in your past you can drive it home.  Good luck!
    THX Lou, good to hear from you! Hope all has been well.

• michigan_jason
    lousubcap said:
    Most eggcellent cook and I am in the camp of no burnt ends-as @Cen_Tex says just rotate and slice.  You will enjoy some mighty fine eats regardless of how you proceed.

Let me be clear.

I for one have never cooked a brisket that IMHO was good, or even ok. Also, I Always "thought" per BBQ Pit Masters and other shows, that Burnt Ends were the best thing since sliced bread. I have personally never had them, and simply thought that is what you purchased the whole packer for. This is the only reason I wanted to make burnt ends. Now you fellas have my mind open and willing to bring a little MORE of Texas the my BBQ plate here in the D.

I am going to youtube franklins as per cen-tex.  As of now the brisket is sitting at 177 at 12:51pm.

I also have homemade baked mac and cheese and coleslaw for sides. Doing some chicken breast (sliced in medallions or pulled still unsure) and smoked sausage to smoke on the large egg. I have my parents and Grandpa coming over for dinner and wanted to present them with a BBQ plate like I remember getting when I was in San Antonio a while back.

PS. I am really glad to see familiar people on here as the forum has evolved. Part of me has not posted because many people who were here years ago have since been dust in the wind. I will certainly be more active now.

KCCO brothers.

• michigan_jason
    edited April 2014
    Google the bbq with Franklin "the payoff" Video on YouTube. It shows the way to slice it whole if you decide not to separate (recommended)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMIlyzRFUjU

Ok, the first minute of the video I am confused, he says to wrap it. I did not wrap. Just a suggestion I guess?

EDIT: I guess I should have watched a little more before posting. )

OHH, btw, I am drinking Tito's Vodka.

• lousubcap
    Sounds like a great plan and the videos will definitely help you transition from the flat to the point.  Great eats await!  Enjoy!  And yes, there are a few of us that have nothing better to do than hang around here...guilty!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I'm with the others on skipping the burnt ends and slice the point.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • michigan_jason
    DMW said:
    So basically serve 2 types, lean and fatty. I am at a standstill now lol.

• DMW

DMW said:

So basically serve 2 types, lean and fatty. I am at a standstill now lol.

Yep, those you like/are looking to impress get fatty. Everyone else gets lean. :)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136

Google the bbq with Franklin "the payoff"
    Video on YouTube. It shows the way to slice it whole if you decide not to separate (recommended)

Ok, the first minute of the video I am confused, he says to wrap it. I did not wrap. Just a suggestion I guess?

Don't worry about wrapping right now. Your brisket looked great so it may not have been needed. Wrapping isn't always necessary, but does help when executed properly if the meat calls for it when the right set of fairy finger tips touches the brisket. :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • DMW
    cazzy said:

Google the bbq with Franklin "the payoff"

Don't worry about wrapping right now. Your brisket looked great so it may not have been needed. Wrapping isn't always necessary, but does help when executed properly if the meat calls for it when the right set of fairy finger tips touches the brisket. :P

But only when the unicorn whispers to you that its time to wrap. ;)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• michigan_jason

Brisket Is sitting at 190 right now, and seems to be very tough from me touching it. Good amount of resistance when probing with the thermapen. Some areas a little better than others. Guessing it has a little way to go still.

Exactly how much time do I need to rest it to have it be at its best?

• michigan_jason
    3/4 of the brisket are absolutely butter when I probe. The last part of the flat still has some resistance and is at 200 degrees. Let her ride more?

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    3/4 of the brisket are absolutely butter when I probe. The last part of the flat still has some resistance and is at 200 degrees. Let her ride more?
    how long to service?  at 200 you will probably be ok if you let it rest about an hour in FTC.  Then open and cool to the touch for slicing.