Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

First winter mold!!!!!! help please

i left my xlegg for the winter im in ohio and it got pretty rough up here this winter but...when i opened there is mold in my egg..just my xl not my large  please can somebody help????
"Ask not what your Egg can do for you, but what you can do for your egg" 1LBG 1XLBG , Grilling, JimBeam, and Life....What else is there??!!!!!

Comments

• CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,791
    Light some lump and burn it off
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 3,672
    Time to get nuclear.
    XL and a Mini Max Egg in Cincinnati, Ohio
  • What the first two guys said!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Chris_WangChris_Wang Posts: 1,253
    Isn't mold good in the cheese world?

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• ZmokinZmokin Posts: 1,915
    It's been so dry this year in CA, my gasser never molded.

it sits out where rain water runs under it's cover and can get very humid inside, my egg stays under a covered patio and has never grown mold (yet).
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

• ShellRShellR Posts: 1
    Once the egg has completely cooled down, place a 10 oz. DampRid inside.  It will keep the mold from recurring.  We were having to burn off the mold and scrub it down each week before we could use it.  We placed DampRid in our egg at the end of last summer, covered it with the BGE cover and didn't remove it until June.  Still not a sign of mold inside.
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,500
    Cook all year round and mold is not an issue.  After a messy cook, like a pork butt, let it go for 20 minutes or so to burn off all the grease and crap before you shut it down, 
    :-? Thread started in April. If you are having a mold problem now in July and cooking on it I'm at a loss. I understand folks in the snow belt having this issue come spring especially if the egg was unused in the weather taking in moisture. But, now in July with frequent use the moisture should be a non issue. Unless of course we're digging this one up to inform the uninformed? Egg on and the mold goes bye bye.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • 4Runner4Runner Posts: 2,755
    Cook all year round says the dude in South Carolina. :)
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 14,480
    4Runner said:

Cook all year round says the dude in South Carolina. :)

True dat! Here in FL :D
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nealcr1nealcr1 Posts: 180
    Why are we just hearing this in JULY?!? This is a May post at the latest!
    Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup
  • NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 14,480
    @nealcr1‌ agreed as I stated above. Unless this is a friendly public service announcement  :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    One more comment and it could be considered bullying. I will back off. Unless the burn off is done with RO and all bets are off! :))
    Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup
    @BigGreenHead‌ were you able to burn it out?
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 19,805
    I'm glad the thread is so dated, I was about to prescribe soaking the ceramic in 4,4'-DDT.

• PNWFoodiePNWFoodie Posts: 1,014
    Can you burn off with the grate in? My XL is fine and dandy, but I looked in my jr. The other day and no bueno.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • jcasparyjcaspary Posts: 1,479
    The grate will be fine in there along with a platesetter if that needs cleaned also.  
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH