Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long for baby back ribs

Mrbenny1
Mrbenny1 Posts: 2
Hi all. I'm a new egghead. Just did my first rack of ribs tonight, and they still weren't pulling back from bone after 4 hours of low and slow at 275 according to thermometer?? Just wondering how long you guys typically will do ribs. I had platesetter I and a drip pan for water. Do I just need to have more patience??

Comments

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

Welcome aboard!!

I find five hours at that temp (really 250-280) is perfect every time.  Just needed to let it go another hour.....and remember, if you're lookin', you ain't cookin' 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Holepuncher
    Holepuncher Posts: 388
    Try this link, includes picture of "bend test'

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1487201#Comment_1487201
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    When you can pick the rack up with your tongs and it bends to a 90* they're done. Some test with a toothpick in the meaty sections. When the pick goes in with no resistance they are done.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    When the pick goes in with no resistance they are done.

usually
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Sorry. .welcome.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Also, each time you open the lid, add 10-15 minutes to the 5 hours in my experience. Once I put them on the lid doesn't open again till hour 5 hits
    Pentwater, MI
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Welcome and enjoy the ride!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Four hours is still two to three hours too short, in my experience, at 250.  I would think you could have gone at least an hour or hour and a half mlonger.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776

Welcome!! The time is also dependent on the cut of ribs.  I find baby backs are done in about 5 hours low and slow, but St. Louis cut are closer to 6.  I've been doing what is called the turbo method lately.  Can't tell much difference in taste/texture, but done in under 2 hours at 350 degrees.  No need to screw around foiling or flipping.  Look it up - I haven't done low and slow since I tried turbo.

Santa Paula, CA
  • I am doing 3 slabs of baby backs today. first time I have tried ribs do you use direct heat or indirect
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited April 2014
    @Diamond_Dave51, I'd suggest that you start a new thread. Don't worry if it's a repeat of another thread; it will get more notice and you're more likely to get the help you need.

To answer your question, I do my ribs at around 250*, indirect.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Indirect brother

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Go indirect, Dave.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @Diamond_Dave51‌
    If you have any unanswered questions or just need advice ask and myself or some one will try to point you in the right direction.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    One more thing not trying to tell you how to cook but I find 275 to be a much better temp for bb ribs on the egg than my usual 225. You will still get plenty of dwell time in the smoke and it will also shorten the cook time but still fall into the category of low and slow.

Status- Standing by.

• markem
    markem Posts: 54
    edited April 2014
    This is a great topic and thanks for asking it @Mrbenny1.  I'm new too but haven't done baby backs yet.  I have the V rack and will likely do some next weekend once we eat the 9lbs of pulled pork from the butt I smoked yesterday.

I'd like to ask another question about baby backs: do you remove the skin from the back of the ribs or does it help to leave them on?  I tend not to use a rub or mop on pork ribs, but maybe there is a preferred egg method?

• SGH
    The removing of the membrane is a subject of great debate. You will get many answers on this but here is mine. For low and slow remove it. For turbo it makes no difference at all.

Status- Standing by.

• markem said:
    This is a great topic and thanks for asking it @Mrbenny1.  I'm new too but haven't done baby backs yet.  I have the V rack and will likely do some next weekend once we eat the 9lbs of pulled pork from the butt I smoked yesterday.

I'd like to ask another question about baby backs: do you remove the skin from the back of the ribs or does it help to leave them on?  I tend not to use a rub or mop on pork ribs, but maybe there is a preferred egg method?

I pull the membrane but you'll find an equal number on each side of that question. I use a rub on my ribs but no mop or liquid in the drip pan. I also never wrap my ribs and always go low and slow. There are plenty of others on here that do it in a completely different way.

Experiment and find what you like best.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
  • I have had my egg for just over a year & absolutely love the ribs I cook on it. I put a rub on the ribs, & with the plate setter in, drip pan with water placed on the plate setter, I get the temperature up to 300 degrees. I then put a rib rack on the grill so the ribs are vertical & I cook mine at 300 degrees for 4 hours & I DO NOT open the lid while they cooking. The meat falls apart when I take them off & they are so popular, the neighbors & co-workers beg for me to cook them during the spring & summer.  :)>-