Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonights the night!

Options
DIAD
DIAD Posts: 187
I have been waiting all week for my first brisket cook.  I thought that it was last weekend but I had the dates mixed up!  We are still planning to make a pizza tonight.  I plan to have the egg cool for 2-3hours.  I will then clean it out and reload the XL for the 12LB pre-trimmed packer.  I hope to have the brisket on the egg at 10pm, 250 dome.  I have a maverick so I think that I will program it to alarm me if it goes below 220 and above 250.  Thoughts on this?  I have to leave in the morning around 9am until about 11am.  I then need to leave again from about noon to 1pm for an Easter egg hunt.  I'm really hoping that the brisket doesn't get finished until after 1pm when I am home.  I plan to slice around 5pm. 

Do you guys think that this is a good plan?  Is there any chance that a brisket of this size cooked at this temp could be completely done at the times that I am NOT home?  I'm kind of nervous. 
Chester, MD

Comments

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I did my first brisket with Maverick et733 last weekend. I was surprised that to get 250 at the grid probe I was 330 at the dome. I suspect that is why my long cooks have taken longer than expected in the past. Pay attention to the grid verse the dome temp and you should be ok. I suspect the difference that others experience has to do with the amount of opening in the DFMT. The more open the top, the less the delta from grid to dome.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    If you read enough brisket posts on here you'll know that just about anything is possible with respect to briskets and cook times. 12lb pre-trimmed could end up closer to 10lb trimmed and would generally take 1 - 1 1/2 hrs. per lb at your planned temp. I'd say there's a pretty good chance your's could be finishing up around noon.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    You never know...it might be done before you leave at 9am. Every brisket is different so just monitor it.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • DIAD
    Options
    Pizza cook done. Egg is cooling down to clean out and reload for the brisket.
    Chester, MD
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    A brisket cook on a tight schedule is tough. You just never know. Good luck.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Good luck and relax... Don't freak out; it's just meat, and your entire reputation on this forum LOL
  • DIAD
    Options
    The reputation is tuff.  I have asked so many questions and have so many coaches I feel like I have to make you ALL proud.  I'm sure it will be fine.  The brisket is on.  I probably trimmed about 2LBs of fat off.  I would say it is 10.5LBs now.  The grid is reading 261 now.  I'm hoping that it will stay in the 220 to 250 range so the alarm doesn't wake my wife up all night. 

Enjoy the vaca Hap!

I'll keep all of the coaching staff updated....
    Chester, MD
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I'm sure this will turn out great. SWMBO makes me sleep on the couch when I'm doing an overnight with the Mav. She was woken once, never again.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • hapster
    Options
    Seriously... If it goes up to 275, even 300 you'll still be fine, at least you know the fire will likely still be going strong.
  • DIAD
    Options
    Alarm woke me because the temp dropped to 219. Just went out and blew into the bottom vent a few times. Currently 4 hours in, mav reading meat is 151 and grid is 221. Should I open a vent more before sleeping?
    Chester, MD
  • hapster
    Options
    I'd bump them open at bit more and them get some sleep. 151 is typically a little early for the stall... And sometimes there are two stalls. You'll be up again probably no later than 7 or so... Remember, it's the journey, not the destination.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Things must be goin well!! \:D/ just curious. Did you go fat cap up or down?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• DIAD
    Options
    @grege645 fat cap down.
    Update at 5am...the brisket has been on for 7.5 hrs. Internal temp is 172 and grid is 266.
    Chester, MD
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Looking good so far!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @diad don't worry about your reputation. I remember the pics of your first cooks not too long ago. Some of us learn slow thru trial and error. You've got talent. What are you seeing for delta between grid and dome? You're in the stall now.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • DIAD
    Options
    10hrs in. Brisket is 176 and grid is 253. The dome is 272. Any guesses on when this might be done? I am hoping for either 9am or not until 1pm.
    Chester, MD
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Probably not 9am. And, I'd be surprised if it takes until 1pm. There's really no way to say. Based on your IT at 5am, looks like you've been in stall mode for at least 2.5 hrs. It could come out of the stall any time now and the It will start to climb again.
    Options
    11.5 hrs in. IT is 189. I need to leave in 30 minutes and will be gone for 90minutes. What should I do? Should I close the vents and just let what happens happen or leave the grid temp at its current setting of 245?
    Thanks!
    Chester, MD
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    I think I'd ramp down to 225 and keep my fingers crossed. I doubt it's done yet. Have you probed it at all?
    Options
    Have not probed yet
    Chester, MD
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Wow, this thread title was a little misleading.  :kicksrock:
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    You could even drop a little lower. Even if your fire went out your egg temp won't drop completely down over the next 2 hrs.
    Options
    Tough call. I would close the vents a little and plan to reassess as soon as you get home.

Alternatively you could FTC it now and probe it when you return at 1:00 - then return it to he egg for as long as you need to finish it if it doesn't probe like buttah. The FTC time may finish it for you.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• DIAD
    Options
    Executive decision.  I'm going to try and hold 220.  I think that the 220 may drop a little over the next hour.  I have to leave for tee ball and I should be back at 11am to check on it.  The IT is still at 190. 

"What could go wrong?"
    Chester, MD
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Should be okay... good luck and let us know how it turns out.
    Options
    Just got back. IT dropped to 180. Grid dropped to 196. Gonna try to bring it up some but have to leave again in 30min for an hour.
    Chester, MD
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    You should be just fine. Did you probe to see where you're at?
    Options
    Thermapen says 176. No where near ready going by feel (so I'm told).
    Chester, MD
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I'm surprised that it dropped that much with your grid temp still close to 200 and only in an hour and 1/2. I know the temp can actually drop during the stall and maybe that's what you're seeing. Nothing to do but press on. The temp will eventually come back up and once you get over 190-195 start checking with your probe for doneness.

I have a feeling that everything will turn out okay for you!
    edited April 2014
    Options
    DIAD said:
      I then need to leave again from about noon to 1pm for an Easter egg hunt. 
    Just wondering if you are indeed having an Easter Egg hunt 8 days before Easter, or if you are off by a week on your plans?  My calendar has Easter as being on April 20 this year.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.