Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Doing brisket and butt roast tomorrow, couple questions...

Options
I have an app. 12 lb brisket and a 4 lb picnic roast. I've never done this much at once, so should I expect longer cook times or do the physics of the Egg allow it to cook at the same rate no matter how much is in there?

Also, I want to cut the pork into nice tender slices that don't completely fall apart but can be easily cut with a fork. What would be a good IT to aim for?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Each hunk of meat will cook at its own pace so that is not an issue.  WRT slicing the pork I would cook to around an internal temp of 165-170*F as that should yield the slicing you are looking for.  Don't know your BGE set-up but make sure your dome thermo does not impale the meat during the cook.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SickEyeDiaz
    SickEyeDiaz Posts: 162
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I learned my lesson with the dome thermometer already...had one break because I closed the lid with a dutch oven in there! Now i'm a lot more cautious.

Thanks for the advice.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options

You'd have to add a whole lot more than a 4 lb picnic for it to extend your cook time.

As for slicing the pork, based on your desired tenderness (fork tender) I'd shoot for 175-180. 

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • BigGreenCraigdotcom
    Options
    The Egg will chug away with any capacity. I would run it exactly the same as you normally do. As far as slicing the pork, technically 160F is "done". However, a picnic is the wrong cut for slicing in my opinion...
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    do the physics of the Egg allow it to cook at the same rate no matter how much is in there?

What would be a good IT to aim for?
    To your first question. No it does not. Nor does any other cooker. There is a point where it is over crowding and air flow is restricted around the meat to the point that even cooking is negated. I find as long as you can keep 3 inches of clearance between meats that are cooked above each other you get good results. I prefer 5 but on the egg with the size meats you are cooking i doubt that you can achieve 5 inches of clearance so 3 is acceptable.

Second question. Depending on your taste i find 160 to be perfect when im not pulling a picnic. That being said i would recommend that you remove at 155 internal temp because it will rise to a perfect 160. For the squeamish and faint of heart you may want to take it a little higher but i find 160 perfect. As always these are just my opinions and i hope it helps my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    @SGH no reason for anyone to be squeamish IMO...USDA now says pork is safe at 145 ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SGH
    Options
    I agree brother. But try convincing my wife of that. My only point was some people have it engrained in there head that meat has to cooked to ash to be safe. Im certainly not one of them.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SickEyeDiaz
    Options
    Thanks fellas.
  • SGH
    Options

Thanks fellas.
    As always. You are more than welcome my friend. Hope it turns out.

Status- Standing by.

• SickEyeDiaz
    Options
    I don't mind a little pink in pork but I don't want anyone else to freak out!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    For sliced shoulder the temp to pull at will depend on the texture you want. I usually (almost always) do pulled, so I'm not an expert. But some will like more fat rendered (higher temp) than others. Once you get past safe temps its all personal preference.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I've been told for sliced pork you want the temp between 183 & 185. For pulled pork you want 195. It's only 10 degrees, but it makes a difference. That's what I learned in my butts and briskets class last weekend.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SickEyeDiaz
    Options
  • SGH
    Options
    Looks par excellent brother!

Status- Standing by.

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Looks fantastic..
    ^:)^
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....