Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ DX2 temp problems

Options
My first try with the dx2. Had a bad start in that i did not have the pit probe in all the way so was getting false reading so pit got up to 380. Found my error and brought the temp back to 215 with pit set at 225 The blower kept activating even when it hit 225 and would go up to 280-290 then i would close it down and start again. I am sure I am doing something wrong. I have tried almost closing the blower damper and i have the smokeware cap about 1/8 in open. I lit my fire in three places. Need to know what i am doing wrong if you will please advise..

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    For a low temp cook, try lighting in only one spot.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JimS
    JimS Posts: 78
    Options
  • Jaime_Doug
    Options
    Jim,  update on your next cook I want to follow your progress.   I just got a cyber q and fear I will have similar issues. I just learned something from DMW there.  seems surprising the blower kept going enough to overshoot…  everyone says these make it ez to stay right on temp wise…     where did u attach pit probe? Grid or dome?  I even read some CLOSE the daisy when using blowers like we have.  seems odd, I'd think you need some escape route up top??
    Doug/Jaime in Tucker, GA   Could almost walk to BGE Mothership  LBGE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I light the lump for every cook in 4 places, noon, 4, 8 and center, DigiQ or not, 250° or 700°. Four places. I never try to cook at a dome temp below 250°. No idea what the grid temp is. The slider on my DigiQ fan stays at 1/4-1/3 open (10CFM blower, large egg). I clip the DigiQ temp probe to the dome thermometer probe. I pay attention to the DigiQ temp reading and ignore what the dome thermo says. They are always close anyway, but a man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with TWO watches is never sure!

Hope this helps!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JimS
    Options
    Jim,  update on your next cook I want to follow your progress.   I just got a cyber q and fear I will have similar issues. I just learned something from DMW there.  seems surprising the blower kept going enough to overshoot…  everyone says these make it ez to stay right on temp wise…     where did u attach pit probe? Grid or dome?  I even read some CLOSE the daisy when using blowers like we have.  seems odd, I'd think you need some escape route up top??
    Doug, i followed DMW;s advise and also the advice of others on setting the Damper on the blower and also on the  SS steel raincap/ daisey wheel . I opened the openings on the smokeware cap about an 1/8 of inch and the damper was closed to 1/4 inch. Started the fire in the center and then hooked up the digiq dx2. I t worked its way up to 225( my setpoint ) and held that temp for7 hours. The highest temp was 233 only for a few seconds while it made it back to 225. Many thanks to all who gave advice. Ps did not have anything in edible in the BGE as this was a dry run.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @JimS‌ ...where do you have the grid probe?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • JimS
    Options
    on the dome tru temp.
  • JimS
    Options
    Inside clipped on.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I've had better luck placing it on the hottest place I can. Usually over the cut out in the placesetter.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN