Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Vacation Starts Today!!! Friday Cook Coming Up...

hapsterhapster Posts: 7,445
Spring Break starts this afternoon and the weather looks awesome for the weekend! Not going anywhere except for some day trips, I plan on egging and chilling as much as possible...

All my errands are done... Food for tonight's cook? Check... Cigars delivered yesterday? Check... Bourbon, Scotch, Rum? Check...

Tonight's cook isn't too outrageous...

Making a batch of rattlesnake tails just because... and then for dinner, chicken kabobs for the ladies, and a 1-1/4lb cowboy cut veal chop for me. Sides will be some roasted potatoes, asparagus, and a side salad.

Saturday's cook is up in the air as my inlaws are coming for dinner... We'll figure that out tonight and I'll shop early tomorrow. We are having my mom up on Sunday and she has requested steaks...

Not sure if there will be any low n slows mixed in there...

Plenty of lump and vices available. The Masters and baseball will be on via radio or TV or both...

Hope everyone has a great Friday and weekend!

Pics to follow later :)

Comments

• td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 1,217
    @hapster‌ forgive my ignorance but what are rattlesnake tails? Cause if it's literally it would just be a rattle and there's not much meat on them.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Congrats on the time off! Relax, light a stick and mix a cold one because you've earned it!
  • johnmitchelljohnmitchell Posts: 4,565
    Enjoy your time off..I know we are going to be treated to some awesome food pics.. 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 7,445
    td66snrf said:
    @hapster‌ forgive my ignorance but what are rattlesnake tails? Cause if it's literally it would just be a rattle and there's not much meat on them.
    :))

No worries... They are Anahiem peppers stuffed with Italian sausage and cheese and then wrapped in bacon, like ABT's only bigger :)
  • CharlesmaneriCharlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Enjoy your vacation keep egging and keep the Sticks burning and the booze flowing 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 23,957
    Awesome man!

Tonight is going to be insanity for us.  French Quarter fest has lured some old friends in town and we're cooking dinner tonight for them.  Plus whoever shows up, I expect it's gonna get crowded over here.  Brisket in SV.  Doing a clean burn on both eggs.  Cooler full of raw oysters...  SWMBO is cooking some Luziana food like crawfish etouffe.  Picked up fresh off the dock jumbo gulf shrimp, gonna add jalapeno and wrap in bacon.  Smoked salmon and charcuterie will go on bagel chips (after I make the bagel chips).  Have the fire pit loaded up.  Unfortunately I have some things to finish for work, but I'm working from home to keep an eye on the eggs.

Awesome man!

Tonight is going to be insanity for us.  French Quarter fest has lured some old friends in town and we're cooking dinner tonight for them.  Plus whoever shows up, I expect it's gonna get crowded over here.  Brisket in SV.  Doing a clean burn on both eggs.  Cooler full of raw oysters...  SWMBO is cooking some Luziana food like crawfish etouffe.  Picked up fresh off the dock jumbo gulf shrimp, gonna add jalapeno and wrap in bacon.  Smoked salmon and charcuterie will go on bagel chips (after I make the bagel chips).  Have the fire pit loaded up.  Unfortunately I have some things to finish for work, but I'm working from home to keep an eye on the eggs.
    Sounds like a blast waiting to happen! Have fun!
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,608
    Enjoy your vay-kay, Haps. I'm stuck working this weekend. If'n I wasn't, I wouldn't mind headin' over to @nolaegghead 's place. That sounds like a heck'uva good time.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

@Griffin @Hapster - y'all get on a plane right now and you should make it in plenty of time. ;)

@Griffin @Hapster - y'all get on a plane right now and you should make it in plenty of time. ;)
    LOL... would love too. Not sure the wife would like that too much since she's on vacation as well in a few hours :)
  • fence0407fence0407 Posts: 1,651
    edited April 2014
    Jealous @hapster - enjoy the break and look forward to seeing what you cook!

What bourbon do you have for the break?
    Large & Mini, Cumming, GA  

fence0407 said:

Thanks... I picked up a bottle of Jefferson small batch :) Should keep me busy for a while
    hapster said:
    fence0407 said:

Thanks... I picked up a bottle of Jefferson small batch :) Should keep me busy for a while
    Love Jefferson bourbon. I've been on an Old Grand Dad 114 kick lately. 

fence0407 said:
    hapster said:
    fence0407 said:

Nice... They don't carry it in PA :(
    hapster said:
    fence0407 said:
    hapster said:
    fence0407 said:

Nice... They don't carry it in PA :(
    Shame on them....enjoy the Jefferson small batch! For some reason I'm thirsty now  :-?

• Awesome man!

What's a clean burn? I've seen that referenced a few times. Do you guys just torch the egg w/no food to clean it up? Mine is black as can be but I don't see "build up". Sorry for the semi-newbie question. Just curious.

Cover staying on the Egg all weekend as we are out of town. Thumbs down.
    Awesome man!

What's a clean burn? I've seen that referenced a few times. Do you guys just torch the egg w/no food to clean it up? Mine is black as can be but I don't see "build up". Sorry for the semi-newbie question. Just curious. Cover staying on the Egg all weekend as we are out of town. Thumbs down.
    I'm just burning off the old lump wide open throttle (WOT), which cleans out all the grease and creosote that can influence future cooks.

One very large Sailor Jerry and Cokezero in... Egg is fired up and vacation is underway.

Oak for smoke...

Some pics...

imageimageimageimage
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 15,910
    That wrap job on the peppers looks tighter than a Japanese sex knot.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    henapple said:

Okay...

:))
    And they're on...
    350 dome or so till nice and crispy

henapple said:
    You mean a shaved Japanese sex knot.... :P

henapple said:

You mean a shaved Japanese sex knot.... :P

Hey Now!!!
  • johnmitchelljohnmitchell Posts: 4,565
    @hapster..It didn't take long for this thread to go south :-c
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 949
    Soooo jealous! I am headed to florida to complete my fathers last requests. We will visit my aunt and spend some time with the kids at the beach and Sea World. It should be about a 13 hour drive but I bet with the girls (5 and 9) it's gonna feel like 20 especially with all the other spring break people on the road. I didn't grill this week and will miss next week as well so I'm gonna be ready to eat when I get home! Enjoy the drinks and great food hapster!
    Bristow Virginia XLBGE One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
    GeorgeS said:

Soooo jealous! I am headed to florida to complete my fathers last requests. We will visit my aunt and spend some time with the kids at the beach and Sea World. It should be about a 13 hour drive but I bet with the girls (5 and 9) it's gonna feel like 20 especially with all the other spring break people on the road. I didn't grill this week and will miss next week as well so I'm gonna be ready to eat when I get home! Enjoy the drinks and great food hapster!

Thanks

Have a safe trip and enjoy the time with your girls... They'll be big enough to drive themselves before you know it
    edited April 2014
    @hapster Thanks will do! I will be drooling over your food until I get back! I try to enjoy every moment with them as they have grown so fast, I now
    understand why everyone said to enjoy them while they are little. They are a wonderful gift!
    Bristow Virginia XLBGE One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!

Planning on just some salt and pepper, garlic salt on the cowboy veal chop. Any suggestions?

Rattlesnake tails are done... Nailed 'em!

imageimage
    Looks awesome!