Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

BBQ Feast and pary

We have about 25 people coming over for dinner tomorrow(6 pm).  Im cooking 12 lb of pulled pork and 9lb of spare ribs.  The question I have is with regards to the pulled pork.

The past 4 butt's ive cooked have gone on at 10 pm and finish at 9-10am.  So a 12 lb butt takes like 12 hours at 250.  So I was wondering should I get it done early and let it ride for a while and then refridgerate? Or be brave and put it on at 6am and pray it gets done by 6-630?

Not interested in Turbo this time around.

Thanks

Comments

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 8,270
    Put it on at midnight and pull it off at noon. FTC for 6 hours.
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,471
    12lb butt @ 250 may take allot longer than 12 hours

I have done 8 lbers and they have taken ~15 hours at 250.

I have FTC'd butts for 5 hours and they are still hot when pulled.

Garnerville, NY
  • CharlesmaneriCharlesmaneri Posts: 1,284
    +1 to 12lb butt @250 may tale a lot longer than 12 hours I have done 8 lbers and they have taken 15 hours  each butt is differentt  some stall longer then others and their is no way to tell which one will have a long stall 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • It takes an awful lot to ruin a pork butt.  Sometimes I just keep them on the BGE for another couple hours, after choking the vents down
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• Pork is pretty forgiving. I've smoked, rested, pulled, refrigerated & re-heated. I just put a little water int he bottom of the pan, cover with foil and stick it in the oven and let it steam. This turns out pretty well. 

• mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,628
    Its a total of 12lb's.  Its one 8lber and one 4lber
  • Actually, you only care about the bigger butt.

A 12 pound butt cooked with a 4 pound butt take only as long as a 12 pounder alone.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seneca Falls, NY

• CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 3,668
    Actually, you only care about the bigger butt.

A 12 pound butt cooked with a 4 pound butt take only as long as a 12 pounder alone.

haha, who doesn't  :))
    Vaughan, ON, Canada

• CoastalcookerCoastalcooker Posts: 115
    The 12 pounder might go as long as 24 hours at 250 dome. I recently cooked about a 12 pound picnic for guests. I was gone when it came off the next afternoon, but am told the approximately 24 hour cook was perfect.
    If it were me, I'd put the big butt on around 5 pm and prepare for an all nighter. Ribs could go on afternoon and be ready in about five hours without foil and other stuff.
    IT WILL BE GREAT!
    Bob
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 4,571
    Go get another 8# butt.  The 4 lber is just gonna throw off your game.  Freeze it and use it for pork steaks another day.   It doesn't matter that there are two, time it based on an 8 lb butt (like @SenecaTheYounger said above). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 10,867

It takes an awful lot to ruin a pork butt.  Sometimes I just keep them on the BGE for another couple hours, after choking the vents down
    That would do it.

• Two hours longer at 225 never hurt a pork butt of mine.  Keep in mind, yours may have been flawed from the outset.

Seneca Falls, NY

edited April 11
    Two hours longer at 225 never hurt a pork butt of mine.  Keep in mind, yours may have been flawed from the outset.

Nope.  It was a combination of chemistry lab back from my college days where we collected the by-products of pyrolosis, experience having choked fire with food in it, and a dislike of that flavor profile.  To me, that tastes like bad smoke or coal.  Everyone has a different sense of taste, and you're right, it's hard to overcook a butt.  I know a few people that like that taste, and who am I to say what tastes good to one person should be eschewed by all.

• I did not say I shut it down completely.

I agree, shutting down in an environment of sooty fat, with a dying fire is not good at all.  Did not say that's what I recommended.

Apologies for leading you to that line of thinking.

It appears that you are fond of pouncing on minor points, and escalating the conversation with jargon and technical language, perhaps in an effort to score points. 

I may be wrong, it would not be the first time.

But I have no issue with you.  I hope that you feel likewise.

It's just not every day someone trots out the words "pyrolosis" and drops thir chemistry credentials.

I consult at that level.  Should I now begin one-upping with my CV and some fancy words for "burning things in my grill"?

TL/DR:  Choked vents to 225, did not shut down.  Pork Butts have a margin of error beyond a couple hours.

Seneca Falls, NY

• Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 2,388
    =)) =))

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky
  • revolver1revolver1 Posts: 262
    350 indirect until it's ready to take off, you can't taste the difference.   Should take 5 hours +/-.  Simple and easy.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
    edited April 11
    I did not say I shut it down completely.

I agree, shutting down in an environment of sooty fat, with a dying fire is not good at all.  Did not say that's what I recommended.

Apologies for leading you to that line of thinking.

It appears that you are fond of pouncing on minor points, and escalating the conversation with jargon and technical language, perhaps in an effort to score points. 

I may be wrong, it would not be the first time.

But I have no issue with you.  I hope that you feel likewise.

It's just not every day someone trots out the words "pyrolosis" and drops thir chemistry credentials.

I consult at that level.  Should I now begin one-upping with my CV and some fancy words for "burning things in my grill"?

TL/DR:  Choked vents to 225, did not shut down.  Pork Butts have a margin of error beyond a couple hours.

dude, I'm just messin' with you.   My point is, and I know you've been cooking 15 years on an egg, longer than I have (on an egg), I don't find it healthy or tasty to leave anything in the grill after shutting the grates. You remind me of me when I first joined the forum.  I have no problem with you.  Just enjoy sharing information with other humanoids.

• nolaegghead makes an excellent point and is entirely correct about food in a dying fire.

It's just that I was not advocating that. And it took three replies (mine/his/mine) before he made the point.

Originally, perhaps 15 years ago at least, the Big Green Egg standard method for steaks was the "Sear and Dwell" method, where after searing the egg would be completely shut down (capped with the chimney cap, and lower vent closed completely).  Their idea was to sear the steak, then allow the lingering radiant heat from the fire and dome to quasi-roast the steak the rest of the way.

Time and again it has been proven that this is perhaps the finest, most completely perfect, ideal way to utterly ruin a steak.  In fact, 9 times out of 10, when a new member states that their wife thinks the steaks is "too smokey", it is due to this method. 

But it isn't "pyrolosis" in action.  It's incomplete combustion. The fire has no oxygen, and the coals which remain lit instead thro off soot, due to their inability to burn cleanly (fully).

So, his point (that you don't want food in a grill or smoker with a poorly burning fire) was correct.
    It was just misapplied.

You can certainly, though, keep a pork butt (which has hit 195 internally) in the BGE for a couple hours at 200-225 (after dropping back from 250-275).  It may coast to 205, or more, but it will be fine.

Seneca Falls, NY

I concur, I mean agree.   Friends?

• henapplehenapple Posts: 10,473
    You bitches quit kissing and cat fight...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    You guys are funny.. Convinced wife to let me get a yeti today. 65qt. Also picked up a cooler cart to wheel the sucker around. It's been a good day
    edited April 12
    I've gotten a few messages about the cart. Here's a link..picked it up at bass pro http://www.mightymaxcart.com
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 4,483
    I can't believe it took me this long to stumble into this little bit of interesting forum theater...
    So I'm cooking the pulled pork on the raised grid.. And ribs below it.. The only way to get them to fit. The ribs.. Was to stack them on top of one another.. Anyone ever do this?
  • TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 2,750
    Not a problem on the ribs. You'll want to rotate them throughout the cook.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.