Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning outside of egg

What can I use to clean up the outside of my egg?  It has the dark black stains running down the dome and just an overall dull look to it.  Not looking to bring it back to brand new looking, just wondering if there is something out there that I can use to take those stains off and shine it up a bit.  Don't want to use anything that could harm the ceramic.

Thanks.
XL BGE

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    edited April 2014
    Cory, Simple Green or any of the citrus type cleaners...and a little elbow grease! A word of caution - if you are cleaning on a deck you want to watch for drips since once that black crud is moistened it can run and stain your deck!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Try cleaning when the dome is warm (not while doing a clean out burn ;-)), helps get the gook off a bit more easily.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    I clean mine with a wet microfiber rag and elbow grease 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Clean it?  I thought it provided thermal insulation.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • ZEP makes a Grill Cleaner. It works pretty well. My Egg was nearly black from use and sitting outside so long. 
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Thanks. I'll give the simple green a try. Did you use the Zep on the outside ceramic too? Your egg sure looks nice and shiny. Just worried about using the wrong stuff and screwing something up. Thanks again guys!
    XL BGE
  • The surface is essentially glass. It is not painted, or capable of being polished if it has lost its shine due to being in the elements.

Except for the crazing (the small cracks), there's no real reason to worry about cleaning it.

The crazing might allow some infinitesimal amount of infiltration (of water or cleanser), but that won't hurt it.  There's nothing you could put on the outside which would soak through and create off flavors on the inside.

Better yet, if it has not been cleaned in a long time, you may want to let it go at 600 for a while (take out the dome thermometer) on a moderate amount of lump, until it burns out.   In addition to a clean interior, you may find that you drive some pretty ugly brown foaming residue from the egg out through the crazing.  Wipe with a damp rag while still hot.  Finish up later with some mild detergent if you'd like, to finish it off.

My camp egg gets very wet (rain or damp), and when I let it go for a while at high temperatures, the entrained moisture expands and is driven out of the ceramic, through the crazing, carrying dirt and (I presume) fats or smoke residue with it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY