Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Left Over Ash

Can the cleaned ash be used on plants? My was asking me before I dump the bucket I have cleaning out the egg.
XL, WSM, Little Kahuna
Kansas City, Mo.
·

Comments

• tarheelmatttarheelmatt Posts: 3,524
    I dump my ash in my raised beds... Figured it was okay. 
    Thanks,

Matthew
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Be kind; as everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about"
    Thomasville, NC - Large BGE - Medium BGE - Plate Setter - Maverick ET-733 - BBQ Guru Party-Q (new design ) Pizza Stone - BGE V-Rack - Weed Torch (to light egg) - Grid Extender - Bayou Classic 14" CI griddle
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Facebook
    My Photography Site
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,026
    Depends on the soil where you live I'd think. Ash will raise the ph of soil, make it more alkaline. If you are in an area where folks add lime to lawns and gardens, spread away. If you are in an area where the ph is already high spreading egg ash may actually have a very minor adverse affect.
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,103
    grass likes the ash, my blueberry plants do not. my yard is very acidic with all the big pines
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,920
    Depends on your soils pH. Ash will change it.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • NDGNDG Posts: 1,207
    Interesting.  I have never tested the PH of my soil but just found this link.  I will check it out this weekend.

Columbus, Ohio
    ·
  • tarheelmatttarheelmatt Posts: 3,524
    The more neutral the soil the better. 

For the soil in my area, you cannot add enough lime.  At one time when I kept my yard up nicely, I put two ton of lime a year on my lawn. 
    Thanks,

Matthew
    "Be kind; as everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about"
    Thomasville, NC - Large BGE - Medium BGE - Plate Setter - Maverick ET-733 - BBQ Guru Party-Q (new design ) Pizza Stone - BGE V-Rack - Weed Torch (to light egg) - Grid Extender - Bayou Classic 14" CI griddle
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Facebook
    My Photography Site
    ·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,950
    I changed the color of my hydrangeas with egg ash.. it would sound so much cooler if I did it intentionally.
    ·
  • Ladeback69Ladeback69 Posts: 2,542
    Thanks for all the advice. My grass people are offering a lime treatment right now so i would think it would be OK. I will try in a small area first to see what happens.
    XL, WSM, Little Kahuna
    Kansas City, Mo.
    ·
  • bodskibodski Posts: 361
    I use it on my asparagus beds, but our soil is slightly acidic.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Gasser

·
  • CharlesmaneriCharlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    I have been spreading it on the lawn for ever and don't notice any change at all because I always put in the same area 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
    ·
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,347
    edited April 2014
    BYS1981 said:
    I changed the color of my hydrangeas with egg ash.. it would sound so much cooler if I did it intentionally.

from what color to what color? If I don't add hollytone or something similar, mine look washed out blue and don't turn deep blue.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,197
    I steal fat from liposuction clinic dumpsters, use the ash to make soap, then sell it back to the rich f*cks that paid for the liposuction.  Don't tell anyone.

·
  • johnmitchelljohnmitchell Posts: 2,366
    I steal fat from liposuction clinic dumpsters, use the ash to make soap, then sell it back to the rich f*cks that paid for the liposuction.  Don't tell anyone.
    I don't care what you say but that is f#*&n funny :))
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Excelerate....
    ·