Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT outdoor kitchen owners

Those of your that have an outdoor kitchen, how many of you have got water out to the kitchen? Is it something that you feel you need or could do without. Looking for a input if it is worth having or not. I am starting to think about putting an outdoor kitchen floor plan together. The indoor kitchen isn't that far away, so trying to figure out if it's worth doing. Don't have a water supply real close so might have to use an outdoor tap to supply the kitchen. Let me hear from y'all. TY
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    If I ever do an outdoor kitchen, water and a nice big sink will be top of my list. The more mess I can keep outside the happier SWMBO will be.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    edited April 2014
    @DMW=)) I currently bring all the dirty stuff back into the house and SWMBOed is good about helping clean up. Trying to rate the water out side on a 1-10 scale. 10 being "A MUST". :)>-
    Large, small, and a mini
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    She "jokes" that she is my prep staff and cleanup staff.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • smokesniffer
    Well good on you for keeping her busy, Image the food coming off and your Q skills have something to do with her good attitude.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I'd do water. It'll be something you'll regret not having and will be more expensive to retrofit.
  • mrosener
    mrosener Posts: 26
    I put a sink in my outdoor kitchen.  I'd probably rate it a 6 or 7.  It's nice to have, but not a must.  If it's not too costly; I'd say go for it. Otherwise, put your money towards another egg.
  • smokesniffer
    @ Eggcelsior, 
    @mrosener. My trouble is getting a water supply to the patio, and then where to drain the water. Trying to figure out where I could drain water after.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • mrosener
    mrosener Posts: 26
    How far away is your indoor kitchen?  I was able to tie into the water supply for the indoor sink and drain.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited April 2014
    Water supplies, assuming you can shut them off if freezing temps hit, isn't too bad. If you have power a small electric heater is nice. The bigger issue is the drain. Lots of fat, grease, bits of crumbs and cooked and raw stuff will find its way into the drain. Something similar to an RV true grey water system might work. It is a PITA to empty and you have to be careful guests do not overflow it. (Do not ask me how I know this)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • smokesniffer
     Not very far, maybe 15-16'. Everything in the house is finished, so no way to tie into the drain without a lot of renovation. I have thought of a 5 gallon pail that would have to be dumped, but that would be a pain and possible spillage.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    @ Skiddymarker, hey fella, hope your doing well. Yea I hear ya, there will be a time, or two, that the tank might get overfilled, then the extra work starts. And then there is the smell. How did you overcome the situation?
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited April 2014
    I used a 25 litre carboy with a tight lid and 2" bung. The drain emptied into the carboy under the sink. A twist of the connector made it easy to move the carboy, put a rubber bung in it and wheel it to the closest drain. It did stink a bit if I got lazy and didn't dump it regularly. 
    If you are sure you can control what goes down it, a dry well works as well. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • smokesniffer
    what do you mean by dry well??
    Large, small, and a mini
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I don't have water running outside, other than a hose bib 10 feet from my egg. As for a sink, I prepped outside for the first time ever today. I washed everything inside, then chopped outside. Did this so I could watch the kids play on a beautiful day.

To control what goes down your sink, try this. Put a plastic container in your sink that covers the bottom of the sink. Drill holes in the container. I do this for my basement bar sink. Food scraps stay in the container and the liquid drains out of the holes. I can't let for go down the bar sink because it will clog the pump that pumps it up to the sewer.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • ElCapitan
    ElCapitan Posts: 154
    My dry well I think he means a french drain, basically a ditch filled with rocks/pebbles and covered.  I used one to dump my water softner rinse into at my old house.  

XL Owner
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    I plan on puttin a sink in. It will hav to have a strainer since ill probably go the dry well route. Dig a hole and fill with clean stone.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Drain it to your neighbors yards.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    henapple said:

Drain it to your neighbors yards.

This guy is an idea man.
  • DaveM
    DaveM Posts: 100
    Hot water is a must. Allows me to do local cleanup. I tapped into my irrigation system for the cold water and bought a $200 Bausch electric hot water heater from Amazon. It keeps 4 gallons of hot water just below my sink, which is plenty. If it is all used up, it takes about an hour to reheat. Send me a private note if you want more details or pictures. As I live in Northern, VA, it must be winterized. I pull the heater out for the winter.
    --Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    I have one its nice for prep work.My sink is big and lots of room on each side nice for putting big pieces in sink for applying rubs and seasoning then just wash mess down the drain.I only have cold water and drain goes into garden area, I don't wash any food down plus it has a strianer basket in bottom.Its not a must but handy and I think you'll enjoy it.
  • I didn't add water due to the winters here and worried it freeze. Instead used that space for beer fridge!