Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grab Your Meat...And Freeze It.

Options

We all know beef prices have gone up.  I think the harsh winter or an early blizzard in the upper plains is being blamed for the shortage.  Tonight I heard there's some sort of pig disease that's killing young pigs.  The projection I heard is a drop in pork production of 10% to 20%.  The economic principle of substitution indicates those unwilling to pay the extra money will probably buy chicken.  With increased demand for chicken, will prices rise?  WTF!!  Bad news for us Eggheads!

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Oy vey. It's deja vu all over again.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Here in the northeast, chicken is already up about 30%, along with beef and pork! I may be BBQing spaghetti soon!
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    jhl192 said:

Here in the northeast, chicken is already up about 30%, along with beef and pork! I may be BBQing spaghetti soon!

Really? I guess it hasn't filtered down here yet. I get my groceries from Wegmans and a lot of their sources are in NY and PA.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I'd still rather pay the inflated prices and Egg my food rather than buy inferior food or go out to eat.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Yeah. In the past six months, the prices in Philly have gone up at least 25 percent, and this is for good stuff from specialty stores but not the local organic, which is close to $20 a pound for steak. I bought two large game hens a few weeks ago, and they set me back $21.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

One of my reps send this to me the other day.

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

FYI everyone .

From USA TODAY:

Swine virus could mean spike in pork prices So far, pork producers in 26 states have reported infected herds.

http://usat.ly/1iQ85U0

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Can you Egg Raman Noodles? 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options

We all know beef prices have gone up.  I think the harsh winter or an early blizzard in the upper plains is being blamed for the shortage.  

A lot of it was the draught last summer; many head of cattle had to be sold/slaughtered and it will take awhile before the population can be built back up (and the draughts/weather changes are only gonna get worse, I'll say no more... :( )

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• ElCapitan
    ElCapitan Posts: 154
    Options
    I bought my weekend supply last night from my local meat market. I glanced that the baby back ribs and the owner/butcher was standing beside me.  He said, "sorry, those are the best I can get with the swine issues.  They are pushing younger and smaller pigs to slaughter because they are worried they won't make it."  Those ribs were about 1/2 to 1/3 the size of what he normally carries.  He also only had one angus brisket and he usually have several.  He said he can't get them.
    XL Owner
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Botch said:

We all know beef prices have gone up.  I think the harsh winter or an early blizzard in the upper plains is being blamed for the shortage.  

A lot of it was the draught last summer; many head of cattle had to be sold/slaughtered and it will take awhile before the population can be built back up (and the draughts/weather changes are only gonna get worse, I'll say no more... :( )
    On the bright side. We may all live longer as a result of the reduced methane emissions, from fewer cow farts, exacerbating global warming!  :-B
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    ElCapitan said:
    I bought my weekend supply last night from my local meat market. I glanced that the baby back ribs and the owner/butcher was standing beside me.  He said, "sorry, those are the best I can get with the swine issues.  They are pushing younger and smaller pigs to slaughter because they are worried they won't make it."  Those ribs were about 1/2 to 1/3 the size of what he normally carries.  He also only had one angus brisket and he usually have several.  He said he can't get them.
    I thought the issue was piglets dying from diarrhea.  
    Options
    Time to put cows back on teh ranch. Hope we can harvest some deer this year. Didn't get one last year. :(

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• ElCapitan
    ElCapitan Posts: 154
    Options
    ElCapitan said:
    I thought the issue was piglets dying from diarrhea.  
    Yeah, that's what the news stories are saying.  Maybe those just above piglets are getting rushed to market for fear that it will spread.
    XL Owner
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    The disease causes them to die of dehydration. So yeah, diarrhea.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Freddie, Freddie don't worry. You are lucky to be close enough to buy your meat here. Of course the prices will go up because of US demand. The porcine virus has just migrated here so pork supply should be ok this year anyway.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    That's another reason to go to the Toronto Eggfest. Meat smuggling.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Why not, eh!  Basques charcoal too!
    canuckland
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    . Meat smuggling.

Eeeya!!
    NOLA
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

Why not, eh!  Basques charcoal too!

Maple Leaf is my favorite lump. I'm anxious to try some OO when @henapple makes it to Michigan.
    Flint, Michigan