Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3-2-1 Ribs

Options
I'd like to make some this weekend.  Never did this technique before but I've been youtubing all the videos.  
What's the conventional wisdom on the meat - should it be spare ribs or baby backs?

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Conventional wisdom here is that 3-2-1 is really too long for ribs.  3-1-1 is probably better and many (most?) here don't foil at all, myself included.

St Louis cut ribs are very popular as well.  Personally I like them all, and haven't found huge differences in cook times - it's easy to vary the temp a bit so you get the timing you like.
    NOLA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Most people prefer spare ribs, it seems. I like both. loin back ribs seem to cook a little faster than spares. One reason I like loin back is the fact that there is no cartilage to deal with. If I miss it on spares and bite into it, I gag.

I don't foil due to the insulating properties of the egg. If you want "fall off of the bone" ribs, foiling will help you accomplish that. Most around here like the ribs to just "bite" cleanly, similar to competition-style ribs.
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    I do 3-2-1 for spare ribs and 3-1-1 for for baby back ribs. But I agree that often it does not take that long depending on the temp you use. I try to keep it around 275.

Try doing one slab with the foil, one other without foil, and see what you like.
  • Cullum
    Cullum Posts: 215
    Options
    Many ways to do them. This is how I do them and they come out great every time. Spare ribs cut down into St. Louis Style. Pan full of water. Oak chunks. Spray bottle 1/2 apple juice 1/2 apple cider vinegar. Rub with olive oil, your rub of choice and topped off with turbinado sugar. Cook at 275 grate level for 2.5 hours spritizing every 45 minutes or so. After that foil for two hours. Total cook time 4.5 hours. They are fall off the bone, if you like it that way. If you don't like fall off the bone, you could skip the foil. I've also done turbo ribs that come out good every time as well. You can research that on here. To me spare ribs have more fat and are a little juicier. I like baby backs as well though. 
  • Jeronamo
    Jeronamo Posts: 50
    Options
    I find with 3-2-1 that the meat is overly tender, to the point that the meat falls off the bones when I cut it. My wife likes it this way so I usually do 3-2-1 for her and 2.25-0.5-1ish for mine so that there's just a bit of tug to it. Works for us.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    For baby backs I've also found the 321 to be too long. Here's a great recipe that I've done several times for baby backs. http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/downloads/babybackribs_recipe_web.pdf
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Five hours, whether 2-1-2, 3-1-1, or just five straight hours without lifting the lid in the 250-270 range for baby backs works for me every time.  And I may be in the minority, but I prefer baby backs over spares as I prefer a leaner cut.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• fr8dog
    fr8dog Posts: 15
    Options
    I've been doing 2-2-1 at 225 for years.  That has done the best for us.  The extra hour makes them too soft for me.
  • BigGreenCraigdotcom
    Options
    In my experience, this method will work for either type of rib. This method is good for "fall off the bone" tender ribs. The BBQ competition world may frown upon this method, your family will love them!
  • Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    I've only had the Egg for about a week.   All my recent cooks were less than 2 hours so I want to start doing some low-heat long cooks and I figure 6 hours of rib cooking [3+2+1] would be a good Egg- learning experience before I stat doing pork butts and briskets.

So I think I will try the 3-2-1 method but it's more for the technique than the final product.  I'm not a big fan of fall-off-the bone ribs, but I want to spend 6 hours bonding with my Egg.

I'll let you know how they turn out,

Steve

Newtown Square, PA
  • BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    Options
    I've had the most luck with 5 hours straight at 250. When I've foiled in the past they've been too soft for me. I like to St Louis a rack of cheap Spares. Throw the rack on then 2 hours later throw the tips on. Let them rest as long as I can resist (20-30 min) then dig in.
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Not sure why this hasn't been offered as an alternative but have you considered doing them turbo?350 indirect, 2 hours, no foil and you saved yourself 4 hours of your life! BTW I have the time, but I have never gone back to low & slow ribs and honestly don't see the advantage! Try it...and you might become a believer,
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I picked up a slab of spares yesterday. I usually trim them St. Louis style, but just for kicks I think I'm going to throw them on as is (might not even pull the membrane) with some rub and see how they turn out. Might try turbo for kicks.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    Spares I do 3-2-30-30 and BB's I do 3-1-30-30, Ken
    Dearborn MI
  • Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    I decided to go with the 3-ish, 2-ish, 1-ish technique.  I figure I'll cut each segment down by 30 minutes or so and tr to keep the temperature around 250.

They've been in for 30 minutes and II'm dying to look.  I know - if you're looking' you're not cooking'.  So why don't they put a window in the Eggs

Newtown Square, PA