Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

24 hour brisket?

Hey guys,

I need to start a brisket tomorrow around 6PM. I cant do it any later due to an event that starts at 8 and ends at 2AM. I am having company Saturday at 6PM. I plan to go get a nice sized 14-15lb from Costco tonight. I have a large with the DigiQ, but I am concerned that this might be too much time. My only other choice would be to start at 3AM, but I sure dont want to do that.

Is 210 too low? I wonder if I set it at 210 and let it go, and maybe bumped the temp in the AM?

San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
Wolf Studios Photography
http://www.wolfstudiosphotography.com

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Why not rub the brisket and leave it in the fridge. Start the egg when you leave (with the guru hooked up) and set it for 210*. When you get home, put the brisket on the egg at 2AM and ramp the temp up to 275. Foil it around lunch and finish it out. That will be better than a 24 hr dried out brisket
  • Yeah that could work. I havent FTC'd for that long before, 6 hours?

San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
    Wolf Studios Photography
  • Crimsongator
    Until it reaches 200ish. Then rest until ready to serve
  • Crimsongator
    Push the foil until 2pm if you'd like. I'd want it to rest an hour, so that gives you a 14-15 hr cook. Very doable.
  • Sounds like a plan. The last one at 225 took almost 16 hours, and I had to bump it at the end. Came out pretty good, but not as tender as I would have liked
    San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
    Wolf Studios Photography
  • FTC not rest. 6 hrs is getting close to the limit but ok
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Yeah that could work. I havent FTC'd for that long before, 6 hours?

What are you calling FTC?
  • foil, towel, cooler?
    San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
    Wolf Studios Photography
  • Crimsongator
    I meant wrap it in foil and back on the egg at noon, or 2 (your call). When it hits 200*, then rest it until you are ready to slice and serve.
  • Oh I see, I have never foiled one before
    San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
    Wolf Studios Photography
  • Crimsongator
    I use a cambro, so to me that is resting. I will pull it out of the cambro about 30-45 prior to serving. This lets you handle it without burning your fingers. I guess my lingo is different.
  • foil, towel, cooler?

Exactly. Once it's done (probe goes in and out w/o resistance) you need to pull it off the egg. FTC will keep it at serving temp until dinner time.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

I guess my lingo is different.

Just did not want there to be any confusion. Not sure what a cambro is?
    Wolf Studios Photography
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited April 2014
    A cabro is used by food servers to transport items. Theyre pretty cool, but I have to use good ol Igloo :)
    I've tried using a male goat to transport cooked bbq.  The food always gets cold.  Once I switched to the cambro, problem solved.  :P :D
    Wolf Studios Photography
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'm just havin' fun.  I can't spell my way out of a wet paper sak.
    Wolf Studios Photography
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Cook at 300-320 and be done in 7-8 hrs. I do it all the time. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • New2Q
    New2Q Posts: 171
    Just a comment - CenTex has taken to cooking at 250 grid temp.  My last brisket I followed his advice and used 250 grid temp (per my Stoker) and had my best brisket so far.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791

Is 210 too low? I wonder if I set it at 210 and let it go,

You are asking more than one question but i will take a shot at the one quoted. Only in the past decade has the turbo and hot and fast method come into vogue. Not so long ago most all subprimals and nearly all primals were cooked low and slow for untold hours on in. The general range of which im speaking was between 200-225 in dry heat. Very few people cooked the big subs and primals out side of this range. So to answer your question 210 is no where near to low. It was once considered almost perfect. Truth be told i still cook the primals at 225 or lower. The subs i will bump to 250-275. Let me also say i am of a fan of turbo as well. I try to limit the subs to 8lbs or less and the primals to 12lbs when turboing. This is just my opinion and what has worked well for me over the years. There is nothing better than a big primal smoked at 200-215 for 24-32 hours over smoldering pecan and oak embers. I hope this helps my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    I want to add a note to the above verse. I know this is starting to stray just a little but its still a valid point to your question of 210. The very man who made hot and fast famous and brought it into the modern era of competition cooking "Myron Mixon" made his fortune and fame cooking between 200 and 225 degrees. He was the undisputed king long before he started this trend. Until this very day watch him cook a carcass, a quarter, a side, or a split and i promise you that Mr Hot and Fast will still be cooking under 250 degrees. Well under most of the time. This is not my opinion. It is absolute fact. I know you were asking about brisket in general but the rule still applies. 210 is not to low. There are easier and faster ways for sure, but it doesnt mean that they are better. As always i hope this helps my friend.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Dude. Trust me. Fire your brisket at 225-250. Sleep. When you wake up be concerned that it will power through the stall but it won't, and enjoy your early afternoon instead. When it hits ~ -200*- thermopen to make sure you're not in a hot spot and wrap it in layers of foil. Then in a warm blanket or beach towel from the dryer. Then into a warmed cooler. Then add warm towels to take up the extra space. LEAVE THE REMOTE THERMOMETER PROBE IN (maverick). Relax as you monitor the ambient cooler temp and meat temp for at least six hours outside the danger zone. Slice against the grain when ready. Thank The Masked Marvel for showing you how easy a brisket cook can be.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Put it on at 7am. Set the temp to 300-310. It will be done by 5 or 6.
  • sstripes96
    sstripes96 Posts: 152
    The last brisket I did was a 15lbs packer. I put it on at 200 and it stayed there for 24 hours. For the life of me I couldnt get the IT above 190. I finally gave up and pulled it when the guests showed up for dinner. When I went to slice it, it just fell apart into shredded brisket. It was super juicy but I was looking forward to slices.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Ended up putting on at 225 around 2AM. Passed out, and it was around 155 at noon so I bumped the temp to 250. It hit 190 at 6:20PM with 0 resistance from the probe. Wrapped it up, ate around 7:15 and it was one of the best briskets I have ever made. 
    San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
    Wolf Studios Photography
  • SGH
    Way to go brother. Glad it turned out.

Status- Standing by.

• Crimsongator
    Good News Glad you enjoyed it
  • Ended up putting on at 225 around 2AM. Passed out, and it was around 155 at noon so I bumped the temp to 250. It hit 190 at 6:20PM with 0 resistance from the probe. Wrapped it up, ate around 7:15 and it was one of the best briskets I have ever made. 

=D>