Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pot Roast Disappointment

Meinbmw
Meinbmw Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Made QBabes pot roast last night and was disappointed ... maybe I goofed?[p]Dome at 325-350 - mix of beef broth and V-8 halfway up on roast - chopped onions on top of chuck roast - place setter feet up - dutch oven (has no legs) directly on place setter.[p]When I checked the roast at 2 hours, the liquid was bubbling away like crazy and the meat was already at 150. So, thinking that I needed an air gap between the place setter and the dutch oven I put the three green egg ceramic "legs" under the dutch oven and closed the dome. Checked a bit later and the bubbling had dimished to just a bubble now and then.[p]So, did I goof by putting the dutch oven directly on the place setter with no air gap, or should I have put the place setter legs down to get the dutch over higher in the dome and away from the burning lump?[p]The mixture of the beef broth and V-8 was very tasty, as were the veggies ... it is just that the 4 lb. chuck roast was WAY overdone and dry.

Comments

• chuck roast is best stewed in liquid for long periods 3-4hrs in a covered dutch oven & checked with a fork for doness after 3 hrs.(it's a tough piece of meat & needs the liquids to prevent drying out) i would defenitely cook it on a platesetter with the feet down or a similar setup. the liquid should be bubbling but not vigurously- this is a sign that the temp is too high.

i use a great tasting recipe:
    marinate overnight the chuck in a pyrex dish with 1 cup of dry sherry & sprinkled with Lowry's season salt.
    the next day i add 1 sliced large onion, some chopped garlic, several peeled baked potatoes that have been halved & sprinkled with season salt, a few peeled carrots and topped with a bottle of Chili Sauce (Heinz or Kroger brand) cooked @ 350F on bottom rack of the oven for 3-4 hrs.
    [convert this method to use on the EGG in a Lodge ]
    serve sliced against the grain with the potatoes & carrots, sauce spooned over the meat
  • meinbmw,
    I recently made Q-Babes pot roast and it came out great. I used a couple of 3/4 90deg. copper elbows under my dutch oven. The recipe I used was from her post that I linked below

[ul][li]Q-Babes Pot Roast[/ul]
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Meinbmw
    Retired RailRoader, I used her same recipe. I guess there is some validity in my thinking that you DO need an air gap under the dutch oven based on your comment on the copper elbows.[p]Did you use a place setter, and if so feet up/down?

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    meinbmw,
    Yep you needed an air gap. Basically you cooked it on the stove top on high for 2 hours. The plate setter absorbs a lot of heat and then radiates that heat through convection inside the egg. Without airflow you just continued the heat directly through the stone, through the cast iron and right into the liquid causing it to be at a high boil.[p]If you have the headroom, put the feet up and use the grid and then place the pot on the grid.

• Meinbmw,
    I used the plate setter feet up as I did not think I would have the room with the 7 qt. Lodge Dutch oven with the plate seeter legs down. Today is chili day using the same setup as the pot roast.

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Meinbmw
    Bobby-Q,
    Thanks Bobby-Q ... this really confirms my suspicion. I will try the dish again taking your advice.[p]Thanks and regards ...

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    meinbmw,[p]I've been at a yoga workshop since Thursday, so didn't see your post until now. So sorry it didn't turn out as you'd hoped. BobbyQ has you steered right. I always make sure there's an air gap, but sometimes it can also be as simple as the cut of meat you end up with, i.e. more or less fat to help during the slower cook.[p]Hopefully next time will work out better...[p]Tonia
    :~)[p]

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    meinbmw,
    My son does pot roast, no gap,setter or anything. sets the dutch oven on the main grill.

• Meinbmw
    QBabe,
    Any idea as to the meat temp when you pulled it out of the egg?