Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two protein dinner party: pork tenderloin and chicken breasts. Help with timing?

OK, here's the thing:  I've agreed to prepare food for a dinner party of 12 Prom-bound teenagers in a couple days.  Pork Tenderloins and boneless/skinless chicken breasts. My egg is a large so I will have to cook in stages. The pork tenderloin will be first.  I've cooked a few of these things, but never when I've had such a time constraint. Could use some help with how long it will take to get the two tenderloins to internal temp of 140 if I'm planning on doing a raised direct cook at about 350.  Come on, experts, help me out. I'll coat the tenderloins with olive oil and an herb-y rub...keeping it simple.

After I pull the pork so it can rest I'm thinking of bumping the temp up to about 400 to do the breasts, still raised direct. I think they'll only take maybe 8 or 9 minutes at that temp because they are fairly small.  Again, I'm going with a simple rub on these guys...different than the pork, but still basic.

Do my setups sound about right for what I'm doing?

Timing...that's what I'm losing sleep over now.  Gotta get this figured out.

Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS

Comments

• I would cook the tenderloins and breasts direct, maybe raised, a 400.  Tenderloins will cook as quick as the chicken breast would.  If you Did the Tenderloins first, I'd set them aside while you did the breasts. Even if they cooled a bit they would be fine.

If by chance you mean pork loins, the much bigger roasts, then I would roast them indirect as you suggested, and pull, set aside, then cook the chicken. The loins will rest without needing to be covered also.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Are you using the adjustable rig? If so you could do the tenderloins on the lower grid. I would think a little longer for chicken breasts unless you are pounding them thin. Do the pork first, raised or not, wrap in foil and put them in a low oven. 135* would be good to pull. Four prom bound teens aren't going to notice the food anyway.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Are you using the adjustable rig? If so you could do the tenderloins on the lower grid. I would think a little longer for chicken breasts unless you are pounding them thin. Do the pork first, raised or not, wrap in foil and put them in a low oven. 135* would be good to pull. Four prom bound teens aren't going to notice the food anyway.
    Load it up with GARLIC.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410

@Steven: I have the BGE Folding Grill Extender.  WISH I had the adjustable rig! So, you think the tenderloins will be done in 20 minutes? 30 minutes?  45? Maybe they don't need to be raised at all?

• Little Steven
    edited April 2014
    Cook them on the main grid. I would allow 20 minutes at 400* depending on the size. Pull off and wrap at 135*. No real reason to go raised grid on boneless skinless chicken breasts unless you are saucing them heavily. If you have to hold the pork longer it's not going to hurt in a 200* oven. As Darian says put loads of garlic in, just on the boys though.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Sorry, I typed 40 minutes there. I was thinking stuffed tenderloin. I edited it to 20 minutes.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    When I do a straight tenderloin I cook it 400 degrees about 6-8 minutes per quarter turn depending on how big the tenderloin is.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Serve the tenderloins whole, wrapped in saran wrap to that they understand what the expectations are for them later in the evening (unless of course one of them is your daughter in which case I'd bring the tenderloin to the table whole with a clever and send an entirely different message).
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • itsmce
    @gmac‌ - Clever. My son, I have no worries about. Good group of kids. Don't know all of them so maybe your idea would be a good one for the others.

@Little Steven‌ - you're changing my mind...directly in the grid at 400 for both meats unless someone can convince me otherwise.
  •  I suggested direct at 400 as well, so I concur.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• gmac
    Seriously, I'd cook them both direct ala @Little Steven.  Pull the pork early and then cook the chicken.  What are you doing, 6 chicken breast and 3 tenderloin or both protein for each diner?  
  • itsmce
    @gmac‌ Planning on 8 breasts and 2 tenderloins. Will slice the tenderloin and serve it all buffet style. Assuming not everyone will like one or the other. May cut the bigger breasts in half so there are 12 pieces, just in case everyone really would prefer the chicken.
  • gmac
    I really think you'd be fine doing everything at one time on the egg.  You can fit 2 tenderloins and 8 breasts on a Large easily enough.  The only reason to cook pork well is schistosomiasis and that doesn't exist with North American produced pork so it the tenderloin is slightly medium rare, no issues. 
    My oldest boy (of 4) is just 14 so I won't have to deal with this for a few years but it's got me thinking....

• itsmce
    The cook was a success. Had plenty of food. Turns out most girls headed for prom don't eat much.