Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

need input on a problem with my large

Options
2»

Comments

• Axeman
    Axeman Posts: 24
    Options
    Thanks Shaytoon I'm working at the firehouse today I'll trying to get a picture on here Thurs or Fri

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I have the same problem, but I can go nuclear sometimes. So far my best results are when I leave the dome open until the fire gets going really good. If I load up really heavy with lump I have a hard time getting above 350 degrees with the vent wide open and daisy wheel off. If I fill the firebox below halfway I have more success. @NPHuskerFL‌ posted a video with a BGE using a chimney. I'm really considering this as an option, because I really think I have a draft issue. If I get above 500 degrees it will take off and go nuclear real quick, probably due to the heat causing better draught. I use a coal stove to heat my house and I don't use a barometric damper so I have draft problems when the weather changes. Sometimes it takes awhile to get the fire going or I get a down draft and the house will fill with smoke. I also live at 4500 feet above sea level and have heard the chimneys need to be taller to create a better draft at higher elevations. I have no clue if that is true, I'm not a physics guy. But if it is true, maybe that's why I have problems every once in awhile. I've used BGE lump, Cowboy and RO and all seem to be problematic unless I get the fire going really good and use less lump. Also, I don't understand why your having problems with one egg and not the other unless the design allows for better air flow/draft. I'm fairly new to using the BGE and am still trying figure things out so I look forward to others people input. I would like to get to a point where my lighting my egg is somewhat predictable. Right now, sometimes it's fast and sometimes it's slow.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Hand fill the firebox.
    Large chunks on bottom. Medium chunks in middle. Smaller pieces on top.
    It's all about airflow.
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • SleepyHollow77
    SleepyHollow77 Posts: 44
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Im not an expert like the other "newbie here"but might the top lid be not sealed correctly?  I had a mini that wouldnt go over 250 no matter what I had to force air into it.  then I realigned the the top lid and then it went up over 700 degrees before I shut it down.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I'll h look at that. Not sure how to realign the top, but it stands to reason if it's sucking air in from the gasket, draft from the fire would be diminished.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SleepyHollow77
    Options
    when I was checking make sure there is no over or under bite with the lid and then do the dollar trick
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Axeman said:
    Thanks Shaytoon I'm working at the firehouse today I'll trying to get a picture on here Thurs or Fri

hey buddy - where in NC?  I can drop over and check it out if you like lemme know.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    Is it possible that your internal guts are not centered and positioned correctly? Do you have several holes in the bottom firebox? Are they clogged? Is the fire box opening matching the bottom vent as far as positioning? Is the fire box and ring touching the side of the base anywhere on side walls? Can you take us through your process from walking outside until it's lit?
    Beaufort, SC
  • qprhooligan
    qprhooligan Posts: 126
    Options
    Did your lump get wet?
  • chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    Options
    Lots of good advice on here and it seems like you have tried it all, have you considered calling the mothership to see if they have ever encountered a similar situation.  It does seem like you are doing everything with the same results at some point I would think they would have a local dealer or rep come out to work with you. 
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

@axeman How do you light your lump? And how much do you light?

If I need to cook at 350-400, I usually light about 75% of what's on the top of the lump. If low and slow, only about a 4" circle in the middle.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    That is with a MAPP torch.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    You know someone does a "egg won't get hot" post here every so often, and it seems like they are doing everything right. 

I wish you lived nearby, because I almost don't believe it.  An egg that won't get hot is like Bigfoot to me.  I hear about them, but I certainly have never seen or met such an egg myself.