Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump recommendations?

Good morning all. I know everyone's mileage may vary, but I was hoping for opinions. Got my first bag of Royal Oak... cooks fine but seems awfully smokey. Have a bag of FOGO on hand, but was saving that for low and slow. My question is, does all lump smoke like RO? If so,  I'll stock up while is on sale at WW. If not,  PLEASE give me your recommendations! I'm  willing to pay more if it means I survive the night not smelling like this. Love the results I'm getting, but feeling the need to shower after every cook... not so much. I know,  newbie first world questions... But I really would appreciate any input. Thanks,  Sandy
XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
Sandy

Comments

• Dulax43
    Dulax43 Posts: 18
    Here is a link that nakedwhiz has compiled about every lump and rated them.  I haven't had any issue with Royal Oak, but I think I prefer the smokey smell in the summer.

Champlin, MN

LBGE - August, 2013

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    You will get as many recommendations as posters but to answer one of your questions-different brands of lump have different smoke characteristics; from very neutral to quite heavy.  Some forum favorites  (in no particular order)-Rockwood, Ozark Oak, FOGO, Wicked Good Weekend Warrior and I'm sure others.
    If you travel to the GWN (Canada) Maple Leaf gets high praise as well as Basque's Nature's Own.  
    I'm sure you will get many more comments.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Dulax43 said:

Here is a link that nakedwhiz has compiled about every lump and rated them.  I haven't had any issue with Royal Oak, but I think I prefer the smokey smell in the summer.

Be sure to check the date on the nw review. Some are years old and things change. Accessibility is one factor but there's online sales with free shipping. Firecraft.com I believe. I use Ozark and Rockwood but I can get it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    I've used Ozark Oak and Rockwood and have recently switched to Royal Oak.  I've done this for a couple reasons.  First, it's less expensive.  I don't have OO or Rockwood near me and while Firecraft definitely gives you good deals, it's still a chunk more expensive than the Royal Oak I buy at Home Depot.  Also, the times I've ordered from Firecraft, the bags have had a good deal of chips and dust in them, I'm assuming from the shipping process.  Second, some of the best cooks I've done have been on Royal Oak.  Have I found a piece of unburned wood in there?  Yes.  Also found a rock once.  But it doesn't really bother me; the food ends up tasting the same.  Another point, OO takes longer to light with my Looftlighter than Royal Oak.  Anyway, I go with Royal Oak.  I guess if I could find OO or Rockwood nearby (so I didn't have to ship and get dust-ridden bags) I would probably look into those, but I'm not yearning for something different.
    Southern California
  • jmcnutt5
    jmcnutt5 Posts: 88

Prepare to be overwhelmed with comments.

I have just switched from BGE to Rockwood and have really been pleased with it.

• plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    henapple said:

Dulax43 said:

Be sure to check the date on the nw review. Some are years old and things change. Accessibility is one factor but there's online sales with free shipping. Firecraft.com I believe. I use Ozark and Rockwood but I can get it.

+1
    Beaufort, SC
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    ive never seen anyone ever post about this stuff but its a descent lump, not sure why or how it gets sold way up here. made in tennesee, sold in one store in nh that i know of

:D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    I use Fogo and Rockwood..I find as far as the smoke and smell goes Stack the lump, light leave the dome open and move inside for 30 min. Normally after 30 min you have a clean burning lump. Works for me..I also use Wicked Good weekend warrior..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Kamado joe lump, try it, very similar to WGWW - someone said it was same people making it, but that was disputed.
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited April 2014
    I believe this topic has been covered and asked 52 times before. +1 on Kamodo Joe,

Is there not a search feature on this site?
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    BYS1981 said:
    Kamado joe lump, try it, very similar to WGWW - someone said it was same people making it, but that was disputed.
    Really liked the bag of KJ I got a few months ago. I was told the same, that it is the same source that "used" to supply for the Wicked Good Competition Blend years ago.
    Great, hard, long burning lump. The best I have used in years. That said I normally just buy what ever I can find the best price on at the time and work with it. Like others say, light it up and walk away for 20-30 minutes. I normally don't walk away with the Cooker wide open just in case I loose track of time. Hate to come back to a 1000 degree Egg. Once the cooker is up to temp and stabilized I really don't have problems with excessive smoke. If you have an Ace Hardware around your location the KJ is a fair deal.

Sorry so drawn out.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited April 2014
    My local ace stopped carrying WGWW during that period when the quality dropped off.. and now they carry KJ instead. I tried it once and was hooked, I'll be buying 2-3 bags tomorrow. I'm glad others have tried it with similar results.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Ozark Oak. Very neutral smell. Royal Oak smells like a bonfire when comparing the two
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    WeberWho? said:
    Ozark Oak. Very neutral smell. Royal Oak smells like a bonfire when comparing the two
    Same with Rockwood. It's amazing how different my garage smells(storage area for lump) and I don't reek after cooking like I used to.
  • chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257

I am a Rockwood believer, Ill use whatever I can find in a pinch, but I buy Rockwood in bulk because I find it to be a superior product and very happy with results.

Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • I heard Humphrey's charcoal is amazing cant wait to get some and give it a try
  • ChrisSonn23
    ChrisSonn23 Posts: 280
    I've recently switched from BGE Charcoal to Rockwood. I'm a HUGE Rockwood fan now that I have been using it. If there is a dealer near you, I would give Rockwood a try.
    BGE Dealer and EggHead since 2013. Find our company on Facebook
    Large BGE
    Waterloo, IL
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    I've had good experiences ordering from Firecraft (OO and Rockwood) and Amazon (FOGO).  I haven't tried the Rockwood yet, but the other two are both good (I give FOGO the nod for size of pieces and lower ash production).

Unless price is an issue, I wouldn't hesitate to use FOGO for regular cooks.  The size of the pieces make it ideal for L&S, but I haven't had a problem with hot cooks either.

I've also used RO/BGE and had no problem with them, but I do find them a little more smokey.  Neither are my first choice, but I wouldn't hesitate to use them if that's all I have.
    NOLA
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241

ive never seen anyone ever post about this stuff but its a descent lump, not sure why or how it gets sold way up here. made in tennesee, sold in one store in nh that i know of

:D

@fishlessman‌ I've used that lump before, it's pretty good. I've only seen it in a hardware store in RI when I was on vacation.

Bloomfield, NJ
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Try this. Light the lump and let the egg come up to at least 400º with the DFMT in place, petals open and the bottom open completely. Snuff it. On the next night, light it again let it stabilize with clear smoke and see if you still find it smokey. If so, good chance you will always find it smokey. Some folks do. Also, don't judge a lump brand on a single bag. Generally RO is in the middle of the field. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    I started with RO. The first cook SWMBO said, "is all the food cooked on the egg going to be this smokey"? I said I hope not. I then learned to let the RO burn for 45 minutes for the bad smoke to clear. Then I switched to Rockwood. Wow, what a difference. With Rockwood there is virtually no "bad smoke". I light, leave the top up for 14-15 minutes and start cooking. Love me some Rockwood.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I'm a big fan of Humphrey. I get it in bulk through a group buy and pay less per pound than Royal oak.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    While some excellent cooks here use RO with great results, I see a noticeable difference with Rockwood and Ozark Oak. I haven't tried WGWW yet. That being said I believe that you can get excellent results with almost any lump given some patience and good lighting technique. Search on a recent discussion with "awe boy"in the title.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • My luck has been pretty good with Amazon Canada. I usually order Fogo for low and slows and Quebrecharo for hot and fast cooks. I love the size consistency in both brands. All my bags have arrived in pristine condition. I've actually had break down the lump into smaller pieces. I find the lump I buy from Amazon arrives in better shape than anything I've purchased retail.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    I believe this topic has been covered and asked 52 times before. +1 on Kamodo Joe,

Is there not a search feature on this site?
    Well, that was rather snarky. Actually, I did do a search...and read really great things. This forum is amazingly helpful and usually eager to help. I just didn't find a thread on the specific topic of smokiness produced and if it varied by lump - which I'm hoping it does and it seems several kind posters have let me know this is indeed the case. I'm sorry if my inquiry offended you.
    Sandy
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    BYS1981 said:
    My local ace stopped carrying WGWW during that period when the quality dropped off.. and now they carry KJ instead. I tried it once and was hooked, I'll be buying 2-3 bags tomorrow. I'm glad others have tried it with similar results.
    I am the voice crying in the wilderness against RO.  It is a very bad lump IMHO - Smokey and small.  Cheap price but you get what you pay for. A new ACE just opened up down the street and I have burned a bag of the KJ.  It is good stuff at $1 per lb. This is good lump, no, really good lump. A lot more left after a cook.  Sorry @henapple OO is good too but you need to bring us Southern folk some bags at $8.
    Milton, GA.
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Thanks, all...exactly what I was trying to figure out. I guess I'm on the hunt for a local source of better lump. :)
    Sandy