Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Growing your own....

First attempt at growing a few organic greens.  So far so good.

Lettuce, Zucchini, Squash, Strawberries, Bell Peppers and Broccoli and Cucumbers.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·

Comments

• bud812bud812 Posts: 1,329
    Now this might start something good on this forem. Just sayin. :D

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

·
  • NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 8,923
    And in 3,2...
    LBGE 2012, Mini MAX 2014, SS Table and Stoker
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Middleburg, FL
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,585
    Cool. I'm a sucker for homegrown veg.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,468
    Is it safe to assume that you are using more than one planter for the plants listed?
    ·
  • SMITTYtheSMOKERSMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,234
    edited April 2014
    Is it safe to assume that you are using more than one planter for the plants listed?

Yes, we have two tanks....probably too many just the same.  Had better success on seeds coming up than expected.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·
    Really like the idea of the feeder for a planter. We have been growing our own herbs and they are so much better. Your plants are coming along nicely.
    Middleburg, FL
    ·
  • Looking good.  Planting season is VA is coming soon.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,061
    Hey Smitty, wanna go for a swim?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,016
    @"Little Steven"‌ here in the states we call those swimming pools. Believe it or not, they aren't built for ice skating. :D
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
    LS, how thick is the ice? I'll come throw some rubber at you.
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,747
    Does this count? 

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,061
    I just took that pic tonight. Eggceptionally late spring this year

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,808
    Poppy central.  Guessing Afganistan.

·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    edited April 2014
    Nice. My wife had been having me make a bunch of these grow buckets which have been awesome. No weeding, and it's very efficient with watering. It has a reservoir at the bottom that the roots grow into and it's impossible to overwater. Not the prettiest things in the world but certainly practical. She's got cucumber, tomatoes, peppers, herbs, watermelon, squash, eggplant, and some other stuff. She even made use of the cinder block holes with basil and cilantro. image
    IMAG2398.jpg 356.6K
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,808
    @travisstrick (Bridget wanted me to post this for you)

·
  • yzzi said:
    Nice. My wife had been having me make a bunch of these grow buckets which have been awesome. No weeding, and it's very efficient with watering. It has a reservoir at the bottom that the roots grow into and it's impossible to overwater. Not the prettiest things in the world but certainly practical. She's got cucumber, tomatoes, peppers, herbs, watermelon, squash, eggplant, and some other stuff. She even made use of the cinder block holes with basil and cilantro. image
    What a set up.  What are the white pvc pipes for? Watering?

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·
    Yeah the pipe is for filling up the reservoir with water. I was supposed to make some tonight but didn't. I'll snap some pictures of how it works. Pretty cheap to make too. Worked well last year's, and she went pretty heavy this year so far. My FIL got us tons of food safe buckets to use.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
    Interesting. I'd like to see this. Does the PVC act as a dispenser and standoff for overfill protection?
    Middleburg, FL
    ·
    I've seen some plans that use a paper towel tube with rocks in it down through the center of the soil. Tube breaks down over time leaving the channel of rocks. Used a strawberry pot as the planter(herb garden).
    ·
    edited April 2014
    I made some more buckets tonight so I took a few pictures to show you how it works.

You take a plastic planter and drill holes in it to let water in. Then you cut down a bucket the same height and cut a hole in the middle to put the container in. I notch the sides of the bucket to fit it inside the other bucket easily. imageimage

Then you stuff that inside another bucket and drill a hole to fit the pvc pipe the water reservoir. image

Then you drill a couple weeping holes through both buckets into the reservoir. When you fill it you fill till the water comes out of the weeping holes. Also when it rains, any water extra drains out. Fill it with dirt and a plant and the water will wick up and the roots grow down towards the reservoir to get all the water It needs. image
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • fence0407fence0407 Posts: 1,060
    @yzzi that is a great setup you have. I plant mine in flower pots as well. I drill 4, 1in holes in the bottom and then throw in sticks with the soil on top to help with water flow. Here are my 3 pots for this year.

Pot #1: Red and Yellow Bell pepper plants, Cilantro and Mexican Tarragon herbs:

Pot #2: 3 Jalapeno Pepper plants:

Pot #3: 3 Cowhorn Cayenne Pepper plants:

Large & Mini, Cumming, GA  
    image - 2009 Alumni
    ·
  • tarheelmatttarheelmatt Posts: 2,623
    edited April 2014
    I have a good amount of backyard space and I have two raised beds that I plant every year.  Would love to add another one soon. 

The back bed includes tomatoes.  Front bed includes jalepeno peppers, bell peppers, cucumbers, and Bluelake green beans. 

Planters scattered around is for herbs. 

Thanks,

Matthew
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Thomasville, NC - Large BGE (w/Nest) - Plate Setter - Maverick ET-733 - BBQ Guru Party-Q (new design ) Pizza Stone - BGE V-Rack - Weed Torch (to light egg)

Facebook
    My Photography Site
    ·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,120
    edited April 2014
    @ SMITTYtheSMOKER  Here's part of my set up, the raised beds 4 of them are 4'x12' and 4 of them are 4'x10'. 
    garden9.jpg 129.8K
    garden10.jpg 185.5K
    garden12.jpg 194.6K
    garden13.jpg 196.6K
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·