Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey cook suggestions

pantsypants
pantsypants Posts: 1,191
I am picking up a bird to cook for the family this weekend and looking for suggestions on  how to make it amazing.....

Toronto

Comments

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Brine it, and cover it with @Mickey‌ coffee rub.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Spatchcock it. I always inject my turkeys. I picked up a jalapeno butter injection several times. It gives very little heat, but makes the bird super tender and juicy.  
  • pantsypants
    I  think i would like to keep it intact . So i think a brine/ slow cook is what I am looking at .
    Toronto
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I'm a big fan of Mad Max's Turkey.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • pantsypants
    @DMW

how is it ? it seems a bit complicated
    Toronto
  • DMW
    It is a bit complicated, but the results are really good, especially the gravy. If you have the time, I think it's worth the effort.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • pantsypants
    i am not sure how much time i will have.
    It is for Monday night and I will most likley have to spend alot of time at the office .
    So having 7 hours to cook may be unrealistic ....

if i have the time i will probably do this .

Do you brine the Turkey ?
    Toronto
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    You can do the Mad Max prep a day before. Up to and including the butter part. Put it on the egg and do the douse with wine. 12 to 15 minutes a pound at 325*

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DMW
    I did one without brining, one with. If I plan ahead I do brine. It helps in case you overshoot your target temp to keep the breast from drying out.

How big of a bird are you planning on? The one he did that took 7 hours was 21 pounds. Smaller will not take nearly as long.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• pantsypants
    Awesome guys thanks ! 
    Toronto
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Another vote for spatchcock the bird.  Can easily fit around 15-16 # spatchcock turkey on the LBGE w/o having to get creative.  Hopefully @Mickey will be along as in addition to the turbo king he is turkey spatchcock king as well.  Seem to recall it takes around 100 mins or so, but my notes aren't with me right now.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ElCapitan
    ElCapitan Posts: 154
    The bourbon brined turkey recipe in the BGE cookbook results in an amazing turkey.  I loaned my BGE cookbook to a friend so I can't post it.
    XL Owner
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I don't brine. Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg (you cut out the backbone and cook opened) I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2 hr cook app) Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. Or, just add a package of legs extra. I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over. I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like. NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND) I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 160 and thigh @ 180. Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee Equal part: Brown Sugar ½ part: Black Pepper ½ part: Kosher Salt ½ part: Garlic Powder ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    +1 on the Mad Max - it is very good. @DMW has it right. I've skipped the gravy and used another home made version with equal success. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'm a little less cave-man.  I butcher the turkey, remove the breasts, wings, legs, thighs and carcass and sous vide everything except the carcass in dark and breast meat batches, then add Mickey's coffee rub and sear.  This formula has sold several SV machines to those eating.  My philosophy is to cook to the bare minimum temp where it's done and soppin'-sponge moist.  Then gravy and whatever, but you can eat this plain and orgasm is inevitable..
    Make sure you really ice those breasts down so both temps meet at the end. Of course if you spatchcocked you wouldn't have this problem. +1 on @Mickey coffee rub
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    Ballotine?

i think I will Mad Max the bird .
    Presentation will be an issue so I would prefer to have it whole .

thanks guys for all the input .

Toronto