Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whats your showcase meal form the egg

Options

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

@travisstrick:  Where's the BBQ comp being held?  Are you using your BGE?

He buys them from @Cazzy
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options

Edgewater resort on lake Buchanan. I'll have my two eggs and my friends will have two larges.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I would have to say any type of curry, braise or stew. I think they benefit from the wood cook. If I had to pick one I would say tajine lamb shanks.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    LOL, Gene! Good one! 

Actually, I was thinking of chocolate cake or similar. "You baked THAT on a GRILL?!"

I like the response from a good, baked egg dish that has no smoke. We've done strawberry shortcake more than once at a fest
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    I cook either pizza or marinated pork tenderloin, thin sliced served gyro style.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • travisstrick
    Options
    I got a cabin for the weekend. They have rv hookups and single wide trailers for rent. All the cabins get reserved months in advance. I got 3.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    henapple said:

He buys them from @Cazzy
    I was cooking brisket before Cazzy could buy beer. Not that he would drink it anyway.

• ElCapitan
    ElCapitan Posts: 154
    Options
    Beef Tenderloin or Prime Rib
    XL Owner
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Grilled or planked salmon, standing rib and rack of lamb. All are big hits for entertaining and very simple. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • henapple
    Options

henapple said:

He buys them from @Cazzy
    I didn't get my invite?
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    Prime rib r beef tenderloin.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

1) New York Strip Steaks seared on cast iron grid

2) Twice 'egged' potatoes (upper level of rig grid from ceramic grill store)

3) Grilled corn on cob (upper level of rig grid)

Best meal I've ever cooked on ANY grill is taken to a new level on the BGE

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    For me it's definitely brisket, for a couple of reasons.  

Around here, a lot of people just aren't used to brisket.  Even though I have a lot to learn in terms of how to cook it, and I'm my worst critic, I think I have it to the point now where it's consistently a crowd pleaser.  And there is just something to be said for slicing a huge hunk of black gold in front of guests. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,143
    Options
    For me it's definitely brisket, for a couple of reasons.  

Around here, a lot of people just aren't used to brisket.  Even though I have a lot to learn in terms of how to cook it, and I'm my worst critic, I think I have it to the point now where it's consistently a crowd pleaser.  And there is just something to be said for slicing a huge hunk of black gold in front of guests. 
    Agree and same for me, but I do love knocking them over with the best Carolina stye pulled pork they ever had.  Hilarious when they realize they've been buying pork that was rated so highly and that I make better!  :)
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Prime rib always blows them away.

Little Rock, AR

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    I'd have to say smoked chicken wings. Tough to beat.
    NW IOWA
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,529
    Options
    Sous vide ribs.  Pork, beef.
    SV ribs is on my to try list, care to share how you nail them please? TIA
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sous vide ribs.  Pork, beef.
    SV ribs is on my to try list, care to share how you nail them please? TIA
    If they're pork, market size, 145-ish for 48 hours or 137 for 72 hours, somewhere around there.  I do not SV them in the factory cryowrap.  Bubbles.  Evil.  Take them out and season them and put them in a foodsaver.  Anyway, take them out after SV, blanch in cold water.  You can store in fridge, or cook right away.  Point is, you want to give them more time getting combustion gasses and crust. Throw them on the grill direct, hot - 400 F or so, anywhere around there is fine depending on time.  Put a rub on before you throw them on, but watch out for over salting.   They should be tender enough after pulling out of the SV that they're difficult to handle or flip.  So you have to use big-ass tongs and whatever you can macgyver.  If they're not done enough, you can just cook them until they're done (I'm talking about tenderness).   Sear. Sear. Sear.

The idea is, and this is what happens, you break down most of that connective tissue at a low temp in the SV, in liquid, and without denaturing the protein as much as you would with a 100% grill cook.  You'll lose a bunch of water, but not nearly as much as if you did that on the grill.  The smoke, sear, crust, bark whatever is up to you.  You can smoke low first if you want to add chips and schmokie-ness.  You. Have. Control.  Anyway, the end product is one that actually is moist (has H2O in it) compared to the usual always dry ribs.  Wear a cape when you cook them, and a chastity belt because the ladies will be on you like sponge cakes on a wedding dress. 
    Options
     I'm defending my first place title at a local BBQ comp later this month.
    Which one brother? If im back on land then i might drop in.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• travisstrick
    Options
    SGH said:

I'm defending my first place title at a local BBQ comp later this month.

Which one brother? If im back on land then i might drop in.

It's at edgewater resort on lake Buchanan. Apr 26th. Look for the drunk people by all the eggs.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,529
    Options
    Thanks @nolaegghead, bookmarked.
    canuckland
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    LOL, Gene! Good one! 

Actually, I was thinking of chocolate cake or similar. "You baked THAT on a GRILL?!"
    Great point. Even cooking bread will puzzle most.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    Options
    Spatchcock chicken, reverse sear ribeyes and butts.
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    I am still working my way through all the different cooks...But last night I did my first Tri Tip. This is the tastiest and least hassle cook so far...So my showcase meal so far is my Tri Tip..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    edited April 2014
    Options
    So I would have to say a low&slow butt and also cooked some form of dessert on it. It really shows the versatility of why we all egg. I have been out of work with a broken foot so it gave me a chance to finally cook a meal and take to the firehouse for the guys I work with. They have all had butts and coffee rub spatchcock chickens but I made the pepper beef stout and sweet potato fries and took in, I work a mile from home so quick trip... They were all impressed. It was a nice surprise since all I talk about at the station while we prep shift dinners is egging.. We did a bbq comp last year as complete noobs and beat a few local bbq restaurants and this year they want me to cook the butts on the egg... I guess they feel it's a safe bet unless I start drinking lol
    Beaufort, SC
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    Ps, I'm seeing some mouth watering menu items being laid down, can we get some of these recipes @henapple‌ @Little Steven‌ pretty please :) I feel like I'm such a basic cook and have nothing to offer....except free pbr and a place on the river.. I did cook a new meal for me the other night for the kid. Bacon, red onion diced finely, garlic and quartered Brussels sprouts in paella pan on egg for 5-10min then added burgers to the ar above and when burgers were done dropping juices and temp was right, it was a hell of a dish. My wife said it was best meal I ever cooked. Didn't have camera to photo it so I guess it didn't happen
    Beaufort, SC
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Ps, I'm seeing some mouth watering menu items being laid down, can we get some of these recipes @henapple‌ @Little Steven‌ pretty please :) I feel like I'm such a basic cook and have nothing to offer....except free pbr and a place on the river.. I did cook a new meal for me the other night for the kid. Bacon, red onion diced finely, garlic and quartered Brussels sprouts in paella pan on egg for 5-10min then added burgers to the ar above and when burgers were done dropping juices and temp was right, it was a hell of a dish. My wife said it was best meal I ever cooked. Didn't have camera to photo it so I guess it didn't happen
    The recipe @Hennapple mentioned is here:

...from another member @NibbleMeThis.  It is in my bookmarks.  I haven't made it yet but it looks outstanding. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• pflug
    pflug Posts: 106
    Options
    @aquacop - The Bone in pork roast was something I got from a Cooks Illustrated recipe a few years ago.  Center Cut rib roast, remove the chine bone and crack, leave 1/4" fat on the outside.  Cross hatch slits and salt, wrap and refrigerate for 6 - 24 hours.  Pepper before cooking,

Cook indirect at 425 with one large chunk of apple wood, cook to an internal temperature of 140 (typically around 75 min... but go by the internal temperature)

Tent loosely for 30 min, internal temp will reach 150.
  • henapple
    Options
    On the coshon de lait I remove the butt and ftc. Then I cook the milk down to a thick cream and mix in the pulled roast. Serve on hoagies with a red wine vinegar slaw. It's probably one of the best sandwiches I've had. I usually cut a v, canoe shape out to hold more goodness.
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Canadian bacon, Larry Wolfe's Sriracha chicken wings, and ribs.   Canadian bacon is probably the real winner.  I can make it in large quantities, and it goes well at dinners with friends and family or as gifts.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)