Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Golf Club Advice Needed

johnkitchens
johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
edited April 2014 in EggHead Forum
Okay guys I need some advice. I haven't played golf in 15 years! I used to play a couple of times a week, but that seems like a lifetime ago.

Anyway my 15 1/2 year old son has finally decided that he wants to be a golfer. My wife is very happy with this since all he wants to to do is hunt. She is excited that he is expanding his likes. Up until now all he asks for is guns, guns, guns.  

He needs clubs. I am so far from the golf world that I don't have a clue what to get him. I have a set of Titleist DCI's i bought 20 years ago. I would like to buy him a complete set instead of the irons and the drivers separately. 

What do you guys think? What do you recommend? I need to get on this like NOW! She wants us to give this to him for Easter so of course I have waited until the end like usual. 

I appreciate any help you can give me. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I would go to a local golf/sporting goods store and see what he likes.  Then google golf ware house.  Most likely you can find the clubs at a much cheaper price.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    I agree with @wolfpack.  Callaway and Ping make sets ranging from forgiving/beginner to 'control'/expert.  The titleist clubs tend to be more on the intermediate to expert side, IMO.  The golf shops have good advice..

What's the fastest way to lower your golf score? -Make sure your pencil has an eraser!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    I'm still using my old old old Ping Eye 2 set.   Ageless clubs.   There's a reason Phil Mickelson (and others) were using the wedge from this line, which was made 20 years ago... until there was so much public outrage that they had to bag 'em.   Can be had for next to nothing on the used market.  And I consider them to be a bit of a collector's item in golf history  =)
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited April 2014
    almost every reasonably size town has a golf store selling used clubs.  Most will help on fitting and have a place to hit balls.  I'd start there.  As we know with kids and golf, it's always the need to chase the longest hitting driver and fool proof putter......guess, i'm still a kid.......

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    edited April 2014

I guess it all depends on budget as well. You could get an off brand decent set of starter clubs for 3-400 bucks. If you are in GA look up play it again sports, decent used stuff.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Glad to hear your son is interested in "the greatest game of all". It is full of lessons that last a lifetime, and properly approached a good character builder.

Custom fit is important, length, lie angle, shaft flex, grip diameter. Get a decent set of iron heads and as he grows they can be adjusted for him including re-shafting as his swing speed increases. For now, matching everything will suffice. Eventually he will understand the nuances of why the driver should not 'match' his 3 wood and wedges modified for certain effects.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• dconder
    dconder Posts: 12
    I agree with everyones comments about fitting.  Buy as much game as you can afford and fitting only helps and is usually free.  Game improvement clubs go a long way
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    +1odie91, if you can find them get em! 
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    If he has never really played much before, I would not spend a lot of time or money. If he gets really interested and shows interest in improvement I would get ready to get fitted and get used to spending a lot of money on golf clubs, balls, shoes, and apparel. Unless he is a somewhat accomplished golfer, he can get by with almost anything they have out there. As he improves he will need to get clubs with stiff shafts and forged materials and the such. Don't worry, it shouldn't cost more than a few grand a year in clubs, memberships, apparral, balls and lessons.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited April 2014

Fitting a kid up with clubs isn't going to make him swing better. I suggest for now to take him to any place that lets you test out different styles (blades, hollow backs) and brands. Golf is about feel, what feels good in my hands doesn't mean it will feel good in yours. Once you have established that he enjoys the game and wants to continue, then get him into a proper fitting of club, whether that is a complete new and more pricier set or the one you buy today.

I have seen many guys with expensive clubs who cant hit a ball. The clubs are an extension of your hands and your swing and tempo for that swing are what counts.

• johnkitchens
    Thanks very much for the advice guys. I am thinking about buying a box set of complete cubs because I know he will beat the crap out of them until he learns how to play. 

He has never played before and just recently started hitting them in the yard so his skill level at this point is -0! 

In the mid 90's I was the steel buyer for E-Z-GO golf cars. When I was with them I played a lot. I started off shooting about 120 or higher but within a year or so I was shooting around 90 or the high 80's. Nothing at all to brag about, but I saw a lot of progress that first year. 

I am excited to get back in the game. I am going to join a local club. 

Do any of you know anything about these? I don't mind spending a grand or more on a nice set for him, but since he has never played I don't want to spend a lot and find out he hates it and wants to quit. 

• odie91
    but since he has never played I don't want to spend a lot and find out he hates it and wants to quit. 

Another reason to get the Ping Eye 2's   ;)
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Thanks very much for the advice guys. I am thinking about buying a box set of complete cubs because I know he will beat the crap out of them until he learns how to play. 

He has never played before and just recently started hitting them in the yard so his skill level at this point is -0! 

In the mid 90's I was the steel buyer for E-Z-GO golf cars. When I was with them I played a lot. I started off shooting about 120 or higher but within a year or so I was shooting around 90 or the high 80's. Nothing at all to brag about, but I saw a lot of progress that first year. 

I am excited to get back in the game. I am going to join a local club. 

Do any of you know anything about these? I don't mind spending a grand or more on a nice set for him, but since he has never played I don't want to spend a lot and find out he hates it and wants to quit. 

A great reason to get a used set of Callaway irons and woods.  The Callaway Diablo driver, 3 wood, and hybrid  woods are great and can be found at a reasonable price..  You may find that he will get so frustrated that he quits playing after a few weeks.  If he sticks with it, get him a new set that is fitted for his swing.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    My son is 16 and just started 2 years ago, I went with a used set of Callaway X-18's they are very forgiving. If he decides he doesn't care for golf you could probably sell them for what you paid for them. The most important thing would be to get him a lesson at your local club so he has an idea what he is doing and won't get frustrated. A lesson should cost the same as a round of golf but will pay dividends trust me on this. The $60 I paid for my sons lesson was nothing compared to the aggravation of not knowing the proper way to hold a club...

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Best thing to buy him is some golf lessons from a pro. I did for my son and he started out enjoying it from the start because he knew what to do so quickly. Your investment in the clubs will keep longer instead of being left at the back of the garage behind the guns. My son, now 22 hits in the high seventies and can hold his head with most players.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• johnkitchens
    Thanks guys. There is a local guy here that has gives lessons to a lot of the younger guys. I am going to call him and get him signed up. 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Okay guys I need some advice. I haven't played golf in 15 years! I used to play a couple of times a week, but that seems like a lifetime ago.

Anyway my 15 1/2 year old son has finally decided that he wants to be a golfer. My wife is very happy with this since all he wants to to do is hunt. She is excited that he is expanding his likes. Up until now all he asks for is guns, guns, guns.  

He needs clubs. I am so far from the golf world that I don't have a clue what to get him. I have a set of Titleist DCI's i bought 20 years ago. I would like to buy him a complete set instead of the irons and the drivers separately. 

What do you guys think? What do you recommend? I need to get on this like NOW! She wants us to give this to him for Easter so of course I have waited until the end like usual. 

I appreciate any help you can give me. 
    I have a nice set of used Ping G10 graphite 3-9 and wedge I would ship to you for $100.
    Would be a great starter set of irons. If he does not stick with it sell them on Craigs List. I just went back to steel shaft with Ping G15.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • johnkitchens
    I just called a buddy that has a used set of Ping I2 Orange dots (3-wedge) and a set of Ping Zing 2's (3-wedge) for sale for $100 for either set. 

Are those any good?

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I just called a buddy that has a used set of Ping I2 Orange dots (3-wedge) and a set of Ping Zing 2's (3-wedge) for sale for $100 for either set. 

Are those any good?

Orange dot are 3 levels of adjustment off "standard" black dot. Would never start there unless your son was fitted for these adjustments. Never liked the Zing line but that is just my personal opinion.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Get him a tennis racquet and save him a life of frustration...

• bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    +1 on lessons. That is the best money spent. Hard to corelrect swing flaws later in life. The ISI are great clubs. Orange bots are going to be a more flat lie so depending on his build they may or may not work. If you know a competent pro they may be able to bend them some to fit if not too far. My thoughts. Make him learn to hit blades and the he can swing any club you put in his hand. There is nothing sweeter than hitting a forged blade in the sweet spot.
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • johnkitchens
    edited April 2014
    I am taking @Photo_Egg up on his offer! 

Thanks Darian. 

• odie91
    Lessons are a good idea, but also get him a copy of "five lessons" by Ben hogan. Can be found used for about $2. There is probably not a single golf pro who has not read this book. Even if they don't necessarily conform to the techniques, the book gets you to think about swing mechanics in a simplified manner.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    edited April 2014
    John Daly and a few others played the old Ping WEDGES because the milled groove were grandfathered in from a lawsuit that exempts them from the new crappy groove rule, giving the club face more grip.  You see how well that's working out for ole grip-it-and-rip-it.

johnkitchens - Your son will benefit most from a cheap set of bangers that hit well and are comfortable, but he's going to outgrow any fitting you get him now, and golf equipment is so expensive there'll be plenty to spend money on once he decides to really pursue the game.

BAG - Get a CARRY STAND BAG.  He can pick this out.  Stand bags have the legs that pop out.

CLUBS - I'd just regrip your clubs for him, honestly.  If you get irons for him, stay away from most Ping "dot" clubs, they are fitted and bent lie angles to a specific player.  Check Craigslist for used clubs, or if you have a used sporting goods store check them out.  Regripping is like getting a new club.  Matching driver to fairways to irons to wedges to putter doesn't matter one bit, but all irons should be the same model, all fairways etc.  We have a Play It Again Sports in Greensboro that has fantastic deals on drivers and irons, especially.  Buy name brands that you can then resell on Craigslist or trade back to the store for maximum credit.  No name, department store brands, or knock offs will lose you money in the long run.

FITTINGS - Valuable, but again I think he'll grow out of his fitting in a year.  Just buy standard length and lie for now.  He can have the lie bent later when he gets close to full grown and you've determined he's still playing.

LESSONS - Important!  PGA teaching professionals are offering $100 "Golf Ready in 5 Days" classes that help everyone from first timers to old timers looking to brush up, and go from the basic swing and rules all the way to the lingo and ethics.  He'll need to remember not to step on my line.  Look these classes up - they are intentionally inexpensive and effective to spark interest in the PGA and get people playing without breaking the bank.

If you spend real money on golf - my exp is the PUTTER IS THE MOST IMPORTANT CLUB in the bag.  It's the one club that may just stay with him his whole life.  

Teach him that golf is a long walk spoiled, a four letter word, and that if he hits just one good shot in a round he's had a good game.  He'll play for life.

Enjoy golfing with your son!  Lemme know if you ever need a fourth!

8-Damien
    18 handcap :)

odie91 has recommended a must buy book, imho.  
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited April 2014

I have played on and off for the better part of 30 years, sometimes pretty religiously and others not so much like now as work and kids don't allow it near as much.  I also have a 16-year-old who plays on the HS team and is becoming a pretty good golfer himself.

I'll echo the advice of some to find a quality name brand used set with relatively standard length and lie, at least the irons.  Find something he likes and is fairly forgiving to hit since he is a beginner.  Most golf shops will have a decent selection in their used bins and you can usually take them out to hit on the range since they are used with the ability to return them if you want something different.  Also a fitting for a 15-year-old is lunacy, other than someone telling you what flex shaft he needs, which is probably regular flex at his age.  His length/lie angle could change by the month at 15.  If you fit him now, he will need new sticks and a new fitting in six months.  Mine has shot up about four inches in the last year.  For the driver and fairway wood(s), getting new wouldn't be as big a deal, although you could still find good recently made woods for a lot less than retail for new.

Hopefully he grows to love the game....it is great and can be lots of fun not just now, but for life! 

On a side note, mine loves golf as well as hunting.  Sounds like we're doing something right  :-c

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer