Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Aaron Franklin Texas Style Pork Butt

Options
dstearn
dstearn Posts: 1,702
This Friday I will smoking an 8# pork butt on the XL using the Aaron Franklin method. Salt Pepper based rub, about 5hrs at 275 and then wrap in foil for another 3 hrs at 275. Rest for 30 minutes and pull. Has anyone tried this method on the BGE? Will 8 hrs be enough using this method?

Comments

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options

Nobody here has ever tried this method on a BGE, though it sounds as though it should be just fine.

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Sure people have tried it...because this is not the Aaron Franklin method. BBQ peeps across the country have been doing this for years. The seasoning is Texas based, but the cook technique he used was not ground breaking.

Will 8 hours be enough? I don't know...every piece of meat is different. Pull when it probes ready.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • coffeeguydenton
    coffeeguydenton Posts: 138
    edited April 2014
    Options

Nobody here has ever tried this method on a BGE, though it sounds as though it should be just fine.

That's an awfully big assumption.

I have not personally used the method.  While it seems like a perfectly good method for stick burners, I don't think it would be necessary to wrap in the egg.  This would help push through the stall, but that's about it.  In a non-ceramic cooker the amount of air moving through dries out the meat, but the BGE retains heat so well that the humidity stays up inside.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    There's a "Texas method" for pork butt??
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    wrapping in foil steams the food, makes it cook much faster at the expense of the bark.
    There's a "Texas method" for pork butt??
    I think he's referring to the rub, not the method.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Oh. I was thinking a Texas pork butt is a brisket in disguise.
    Flint, Michigan
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Fred- you are correct- There is no such thing as Texas pork butt or pork ribs. Just the same way there is no real Carolina (or Kansas City for that matter) Brisket or beef ribs. Pork is an invasive species to BBQ in my opinion :))

Franklin did that video with S/P rub for pork butts- i'm sure that's what he is after. That's not the way he does them at the shop but it's good when done right. I prefer rub on my butt....but that's a whole different story

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Cowboy rub
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    The Pork Butt turned out great considering it was my first attempt. At 5 hours temp was 162-164. Sprayed with Apple Cider Vinegar and wrapped for 3 more hours at 275. Rested for 45 minutes and pulled. Next time I will not use the water bowl as the bark was not quite as dark as I would have liked.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    If the bark wasn't as dark and firm as you like, skip the foil next time.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • TheShaytoon
    TheShaytoon Posts: 420
    Options
    I have NEVER ever been able to finish a #8 pork butt in 8 hours, heck it usually takes me 16 hours.  I can't believe there is that big of a difference!!!

:-S

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

I can see it @ 275. For me, I think the time to cook makes a big difference. I just did two 7.5lb butts @ 260. Was at 198 in 10 hours. Was not my best.

Seems the low and slow are much better flavor and virtually all of the fat is rendered.

I am back to low and slow.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Options

I did a 4#boneless shoulder last weekend using the Franklin method.It turned out great.I think it took about 5 hours @275.I brushed with BBQ sauce and apple cider vinegar before wrapping in two layers of foil.

I agree with letting it rest for 30 minutes.I had to wait for side dishes..wrapped in a towel and it was still nice and hot after an hour or so.

I'll do it again