Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Some Advice Please.

Options
I've seen a few Green Eggs on display over the years and never really gave them much thought.  I'm getting ready to build a small outdoor kitchen and decided to look into the BGE.  Doing some research, I think I'm hooked!  My question is on what size combinations would you recommend.  I'm trying to decide between the following: XL & Med, a Large & Med or (2) Larges.  I know I could probably get by with a Large but only get one shot at this and don't want to make a mistake.  I will need to make a decision by the end of next week so I can complete the layout and start the build.  All input is appreciated!
Thanks, Steve

XL & Mini-Max

Chattanooga, TN

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    If it was me I would get two larges. I like things even.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I really hate to agree with the hilbilly but yes two large is the way to go.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SmokinOutBack
    Options
    I only have a large, but I sure wish I would have bought an XL. So, one of each of them would be my choice.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

I have the XL and the Large and they meet most of my needs.  My wish list would be to add one more large and an XXL.  I do agree with most of the posters here that two Large models would be great but if you're going to be hosting parties with more than 10 people, one should be an XL as it is uber handy for larger parties.  If you ever need to feed a large group and make more than four shoulders, or several shoulders and a couple of briskets, or a bunch of whole chickens, two large models won't cut it.   Recently I had a pizza party with 20+ people, I had both the XL and L fired up and was able to crank out awesome pizzas on both plus and  a bunch of wings for the crowd on the lower level of a multi grid system on the XL.  The best part was all of the food was finished at the same time.    If I had two larges and no XL, I would have had to stage production more and I would not have been able to have all the food done at the same time (I find this awkward as a party host).

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I have an XL and Small. I find this combo works well for our needs. For weeknight cooks the Small is most often used. For weekends its the XL or both on occasion. If I was to add another it would be an XXL mounted in a concession trailer. Though that might be awhile out...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I really hate to agree with the hilbilly but yes two large is the way to go.
    I think you are talking about henapple, but since I am GA I guess it could apply to me as well.  :-S

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Probably get banned for this but.

The egg isn't for everyone. If your new to grilling or new to charcoal cooking there's going to be a learning curve. One that leads a lot of people to give up and go get a gasser or pellet burner. I'd get a large and leave space on the table for another. That way if it's not for you, your only out half what you might have been. For what it's worth.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Given the combinations you listed. +3 on (2) LBGE. Being able to share on accessories is a huge benefit and not to mention LG is the most popular size so products are almost always available. To each their own but, this is what I would want. I already have 1 LG and if & when I decide on a second it would most likely be a LG.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I would recommend 2 larges. I have a large and a joe jr. Nothing wrong with the jr but if i had it to do over again i would get another large. Main reason i have so many accessories and they wont work with the smaller unit. No regrets i got it at a great price so all is well.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Options
    I have 2 larges and they work perfectly for me but I would love to have a XXL !!!
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • SJ21XDC
    SJ21XDC Posts: 235
    Options
    Thanks for all the input!  My wife really wants a sink in the area I was looking to put the second egg so It looks like I might be limited to one egg.  I'm meeting my contractor in the morning to see what we can fit.  It seems like the general consensus is (2) larges, so I'm really hoping to be able to fit a couple of them in the design.  Anyway I'm ready to get something and start the learning process!
    Thanks again

XL & Mini-Max

Chattanooga, TN

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    I would do 2 larges, you can share accessories. You are already thinking two different cooking temps. Go for it.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • DaveM
    DaveM Posts: 100
    Options
    I would vote XL and a sink. I use the sink all the time and the XL, along with the Ceramic grill Works 2-tier grill, allows for a ton of surface area. Charcoal isn't expensive, and the egg does shut off and sve leftover, so I dont mind using it for a smaller dinner. We are a family of four, but love leftovers. Why do 1 chicken, when the grill holds 3 or 4 and the refrigerate so well?
    --Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    Agree with 2 larges, sharing accessories is the way to go.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• BigGreenCraigdotcom
    Options
    I have an XL and I am currently in the market for a Medium. If you do large cooks, the XL is good. However, it is WAY overkill to fire up for a couple chicken breasts. 
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I have the XL and Medium and think It is ideal for my situation. I cover 99% of my cooks on one or the other. Only rarely use both at the same time. I hear 2 large are good too. If I could only have one it would be an XL for sure.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    What about a place for a mini ? ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    if you buy 2 larges, every accessory you buy will fit both. i have 2 larges, a small and a mini vision kub, the 2 larges are 200 miles apart and ive only needed them together once as i can cook two pork butts and 2 briskets at one time in one large, 30 something pounds of meat feeds alot of people. so my first question is how many people are you feeding
    :Dim giving my small away to a friend, the large and mini are a perfect combo for me, one stays on the patio, the other easily moves from patio to deck. these things cook more than one would think looking at them, i can easily cook 20 to 30 wings on a mini vision kub. the other thing is that for big crowds we do more bbq than grilling, 1 large setup properly can bbq enough food for 60 to 70 people if theres side dishes going along with it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • canman
    canman Posts: 52
    Options
    I only have an XL and love it. I agree it's a little over kill for just a couple of chicken breasts, but I always throw on a few extras for later. The extra breasts are great for making chicken salad and smoked chicken stock. My favorite for the extra breasts is smoked chicken chowder.
    Tullahoma, Tennessee.
  • SJ21XDC
    Options
    Ok, met with the contractor and if we include a sink, it doesn't look like we can make two eggs work.  Because my wife wants the sink and is on board with the BGE, I'm down to one egg.  What size is recommended (Family of four with up to 9 or 10 on Holidays)?  I've spoken to two different dealers and they both recommend the large, but looking at the grilles in person, the large doesn't  seem to have a lot of room.  The XL looks to have the right amount of room, but since I've never cooked on the BGE and the dealers are recommending the large, I'm really confused???
    Thanks,
    Steve

XL & Mini-Max

Chattanooga, TN

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    A large easily cooks enough for 9 or 10.  Going bigger is fine, but you gave the numbers.
    Options
    Well, if you're going from two to one egg, might as well get an XL. Or 86 the sink.
    Options
    If just 1, XL is my vote.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    There is no particular reason to have multiple sizes, except if you transport.  There are tons of reasons to have multiple Eggs.  I have three.  I would be perfectly happy if they were all XLs.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• SGH
    Options
    If you are only getting one egg buy the biggest you can afford. I went with the large but bear in mind I have several offsets and a large vertical. Take them out of the equation and I would have bought a xlarge or the new xxlarge. Any thing smaller than a large and you will regret it if you are a avid cook as they are very limited. Even the large can lack breathing room when cooking the very large subprimals.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    I would also like to say I see nothing wrong with the smaller eggs except for their limited capacity. If you are not interested in cooking large cuts or for groups then one of the smaller eggs may be for you. However, I have heard a lot of people say that they wished they had bought a larger egg a million times. I have never heard one person wish that they would have bought a smaller one. Just some food for thought my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Started with a large and it totally filled my needs. Generally just 2 of us but have cooked entire meals for 10 on it, you just have to stage your cooks. I added a small and love it. It sees about 90% of my cooks. I've done butts, chicken, loins, chuckies and you name it on the small. The only thing I have done on it is a brisket. I cook for 4 on it if we are having a small get together.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    There's an arse for every seat.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• SJ21XDC
    Options

I think I know which way I'm leaning but have one last question.  Do the large and XL cook differently (controlling temperature, starting etc..)?

I really appreciate all the help!

XL & Mini-Max

Chattanooga, TN