Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

need input on a problem with my large

I have a temperature problem with my large egg. The problem is I cannot get my temps past 325. I use royal oak lump or green egg lump, my ash is cleaned out after every 2-3 cooks. It doesn't matter if I use all fresh lump charcoal and place the larger piece's of lump around the vent holes. The temp gauge has been calibrated.  It works fine smoking but trying to grill or bake anything above that temp is getting on my nerves. I also have an xl egg that works great no problems with it. Thank ya'll for your input.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Have you tried swapping the dome thermos? The one on the large may be OK at the boiling point sticky up higher. Ignore this if you can tell that it isn't  hot enough.

Assuming you are using the same lump with the X-large and sufficient amounts it comes down to airflow. Have you taken out the fire ring and box to see if there is something impeding the flow to the side holes in the bowl? Is the egg new? It could be the original packing material if so. I don't personally believe in the air intake on the firebox having to be aligned with the lower vent but you could check that as well.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    are you taking the daisy wheel off the egg, the large will go up to 1200f if clean, full of lump, lower vent wide open, and daisy off the egg on the table
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    First of all welcome to the BGE community.
    1> Is the fire box opening lined up with the bottom slide vent opening?
    2> Are the little holes on the fire box free of ash?
    3> Although your cleaning out your fire box there will be little or perhaps big mounds that develop around the ceramic fire box. You'll have to pull the guts to check this.
    Ultimately if you have enough fuel (lump), an established fire and sufficient airflow (oxygen) your BGE will easily go nuclear (1000℉). 99x out of 100 it's airflow related. Hope that helps ya out.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Axeman
    Axeman Posts: 24
    No I havent switched them but you can tell by the fill of the heat that it wont come up. I have gone through twice to check the vent holes and it is in line with the bottom vent.
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited April 2014
    About how many cooks total have you done since you've owned it?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Try forced air in the bottom when its lit and see what happens. Old hair dryer, shop vac exhaust, etc.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Axeman
    Fishlessman I have done all that. My el I can get my dome temps over 725. But the large I'm having my issue with.
    NPH Husker yes to all 3 questions.
  • Little Steven
    If you have a shop vac put the hose in the exhaust port, stick the other end in the lower vent and turn it on. You should peg the thermo in a minute or so. If that works and you still have problems you will know there is something in the airflow. Might just solve the problem too. Make sure the lump is lit and white smoke clear before you do this. You will get some major sparking out of the top so take fire precautions.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NPHuskerFL
    So you have pulled all the ceramic (guts) ship vacuumed or cleaned out cannot still get above 325℉?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • fishlessman
    only other thing that ive seen was someone had the lump grate upsidedown which helps to clog it. bevel side of the holes go down. having the daisy just open and not off the egg is usually the problem though. the large will shoot a blue flame four feet above the egg if its left open too long
    :D
    fukahwee maine

• Axeman
     Ive done about 10 cooks on this egg. And yes I have pulled everything out and reassembled
  • Little Steven
    only other thing that ive seen was someone had the lump grate upsidedown which helps to clog it. bevel side of the holes go down. having the daisy just open and not off the egg is usually the problem though. the large will shoot a blue flame four feet above the egg if its left open too long
    I meant to say that and forgot but even upside down it should still get hot before it clogs no?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Axeman
    I know I've done all these except forcing air through it. I love my XL but hate the large. I'm at work today but I'll go through it again Thurs or Fri
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Where are you located?
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • fishlessman
    I meant to say that and forgot but even upside down it should still get hot before it clogs no?
    it should, one last thing, my egg at camp only gets used on weekends and its really wet there, a wet egg wont get hot until all the moisture is removed and it takes a while with that egg
    fukahwee maine

• Little Steven
    You said on the other forum that you had the daisy wide open. You mean the daisy swung away right?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NPHuskerFL
    :-? Hmmmm...I've got a LBGE and love it! Try forcing air as @DMW‌ suggested. But, honestly there should be no difference in your LG vs XL in that aspect. Only diff is capacity.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Axeman
    Yes Steven
    NPHusker I agree thats why I'm dumbfounded.
  • fishlessman
    Axeman said:
    Yes Steven
    NPHusker I agree thats why I'm dumbfounded.
    take the daisy off, swung open slows down the start up time and max temp

fukahwee maine

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Have you tried completely removing the daisy wheel and leaving it off?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Stand in front of a mirror in the dark. Chant Big Green Egg 3 times and quickly turn the lights on.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Axeman
    Yes I have removed it and still no luck

• Scottyboy
    Scottyboy Posts: 40
    It's broken; might as well go ahead and give it to me just to get it out of your hair.
    XL, LBGE, Adjustable Rig
    Shelbyville, IN
  • fishlessman
    theres only one other thing you can do to fix the problem, clean the egg,clean behind the firebox,  fill up to the top of the fire ring with fresh lump, open the bottom vent completely, even open the screen, light the egg, close the dome, put the daisy on the ground, sitback and drink a 12 pack, it will get hot
    fukahwee maine

• NPHuskerFL
    henapple said:

Stand in front of a mirror in the dark. Chant Big Green Egg 3 times and quickly turn the lights on.

Where are you located? It appears you have a defective LBGE. I'll be by to take it back to my house. Oops I meant take it back to the Mothership for further evaluation. ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    You might check to make sure the "spark" screen isn't clogged, read a while back that this was occurring with some eggs.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • NPHuskerFL
    @DMW‌ here ya go. @Axeman‌ here's a couple of crazy ass ways to get it nuclear. Recommended by....no-one.
    Start Big Green Egg 750 Degrees in 5 minutes: http://youtu.be/mPsRJCJTf0M
    Big Green Egg Fun: http://youtu.be/i4YcqbFaWzU
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2014
    Honestly it seems like you are doing everything right.  Every once in a while things just seem to be stubborn and don't want to light, but I am always able to get it going eventually.  

A high Q grill grate or one from @Stlcharcoal will definitely help. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• TheShaytoon
    TheShaytoon Posts: 420
    This has been bothering me all day...I've been in an egg state of mind today...

Let's try this, let's light that sucker and don't close the dome...GET IT HOT!  

You can put your hand over the grate, and if you can't hold it there for more than a second, it is NUK Temp...Now close the dome (with out the Daisey Wheel) and open the bottom vent.  Will the egg hold the temp?  Or is it suffocating the fire...  It should hold it for at least >30 minutes.  

If it is suffocating the fire, there is an issue with your setup... clean the lump/ash, and take a picture of the dome.  POST it...after all, a picture is worth a 1000 words.

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX