Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Why does it take so LONG for me to cook?

I was reading in another thread about how @dstearn cooked a #8 Pork Butt in 8 hours...it takes me about twice that time, if not more.

The dome is always at 250-275...I have a CyberQ hooked up so I don't think it is a thermometer issue...

Cooking a 8lb brisket right now , and I am at 187 at 14 hours...am I just being paranoid, or does it always take so long to cook?

D

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
Dallas, TX

Comments

• CharlesmaneriCharlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    TheShaytoon Every Pork Butt that I'v cooked have taken anywhere from 14 to 20 hours maybe 
    dstern did their Butt turbo and thats why it only took 8 hours 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • DMWDMW Posts: 7,274
    He foiled it to push through the stall.
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
  • TheShaytoonTheShaytoon Posts: 420
    well that's good to know...he said it was at 275, so that is what made me a little paranoid...

Dallas, TX

I don't like to foil, but when we are at 16 hours and dinner time is coming around, I foil it... still, it only took him 3 hours to get to the stall, that usually takes me 8 hours.  

Dallas, TX

• tarheelmatttarheelmatt Posts: 3,948
    With turbo (my version at least), I cooked a 5lb this past Sunday and it took around 5 hrs. 
    Thanks,

Matthew
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Be kind; as everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about"
    Thomasville, NC - Large BGE - Medium BGE - Plate Setter - Maverick ET-733 - BBQ Guru Party-Q (new design ) Pizza Stone - BGE V-Rack - Weed Torch (to light egg) - Grid Extender - Bayou Classic 14" CI griddle
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Facebook
    My Photography Site
    @tarheelmatt You have some mad photo skillzzz, YO!

Dallas, TX

• SmokinpigSmokinpig Posts: 668

Pork butts average two hours a pound for me at dome temp of 250. Worth every minute.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• tarheelmatttarheelmatt Posts: 3,948
    TheShaytoon said:
    @tarheelmatt You have some mad photo skillzzz, YO!
    @theshaytoon Thanks man!  I appreciate that.
    Thanks,

Matthew
    "Be kind; as everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about"
    Thomasville, NC - Large BGE - Medium BGE - Plate Setter - Maverick ET-733 - BBQ Guru Party-Q (new design ) Pizza Stone - BGE V-Rack - Weed Torch (to light egg) - Grid Extender - Bayou Classic 14" CI griddle
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • I cooked a 5.5 lb boston butt last Sunday using a non-quite-turbo 300 degree dome temp.  Got to 195 IT in about 8 hours.  FTC for 2 hours, so 10 total grid to pull.  Better for me to start early Sunday morning (hangover be d*mned) than to sacrifice Saturday night for an overnight.  But I'm a relative newbie and feeling my way around. 

Here's my over-written account of Man vs. Butt.

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 11,523
    edited April 2014
    Maybe your butt is thicker vs theirs could be flatter. Not every butt (even the same exact #) will cook the same. Twice as long or longer...that is odd. Figure 1.5-2 hr per # 225℉-250℉.
    LBGE 2012, Mini MAX 2014, SS Table and Stoker
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Middleburg, FL
    edited April 2014
    I am at a little over 2 hours per lb @250; I also leave it on till 203 IT.

The 8lb brisket took 15 hours today.  Started at 9 last night and got it to 197 IT at 12 @255.

So maybe I am not too far off.  

Dallas, TX

• NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 11,523
    If it tastes good and isn't dry I don't see a problem that needs fixed. Sounds like your about right time wise. + the extra time should allow for the connective tissue to breakdown to help with tenderness. Just my .02¢
    LBGE 2012, Mini MAX 2014, SS Table and Stoker
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Middleburg, FL
  • grege345grege345 Posts: 3,489
    Where's this brisket you speak of????
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• grege345grege345 Posts: 3,489
    Never mind found it
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos