Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Curry

DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
So I was at my dealer (we all have one, right) earlier this week and picked up some Dizzy Pig Bombay Curryish. Decided to go to the source for a recipe.

Really good, fairly easy as well. All done on the Small in a Lodge CI Dutch Oven, uncovered the whole time. I tossed a wood chunk in after the lump was established, before putting the DO in. Not sure what kind it was, it was loose in my deck box.

After browning the chicken, pulled it out, and this is after the onions/garlic/potatoes/tomato paste were going for a swim.

Time for the chicken and yogurt to join in the fun.

Simmer for a few more minutes

And time to eat

Was served with rice, no plated pics, rather rushed ordeal tonight. I can see this being used in lots going forward. Great flavor already mixed up and ready to go.
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    how was the heat level of that bombay currish?
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Love Curry-ish! Got it in roasted veg right now while doing a spatchcock chicken with red eye express
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    That looks great! Did you fry the chicken until crispy first? Try just browning it a bit next time - you may like it even more.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DMW
    caliking said:
    That looks great! Did you fry the chicken until crispy first? Try just browning it a bit next time - you may like it even more.
    Thanks @caliking. The photo does make it look fried, but no, it was just browned. I tossed it with the Curryish before browning, left the fond behind to mix with the onions when they went in. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW
    tulocay said:
    how was the heat level of that bombay currish?
    @tulocay Not too hot at all. I think if it was just me I would probably add some additional heat. For SWMBO and the kids it was right on, and they don't go for really spice food.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• caliking
    I thought that might be the case, but I couldn't tell from the pic.

As a variation, try the following sequence:
    oil
    onions
    garlic/ginger
    chicken
    Curry-ish
    tomato (paste/sauce/puree)
    water

Add the potatoes either after the onions or after the tomato, depending on whether you like them browned first or not. About 5-7 mins between each step to saute/brown things in the pot. After adding the water, cook until the chicken and potatoes are done and the sauce is the consistency you like.

And then send me a plate :)

• DMW
    @caliking I'll give that a try next time. Just to be sure, still brown the chicken first?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I really hate to say this but the curry-ish has way too much fennel for me.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    DMW said:
    @caliking I'll give that a try next time. Just to be sure, still brown the chicken first?
    You don't really brown the meat in Indian gravies. You fry it in the mixture of spices, onions, garlic, ginger, tomatoes etc. It picks up the colour of the masala and whatever else is in there. This is true of gravies (curries) but there are a lot of fried dishes. A lot of the meats are pressure cooked with almost no browning and then "stewed" with the other stuff.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    DMW said:
    You don't really brown the meat in Indian gravies. You fry it in the mixture of spices, onions, garlic, ginger, tomatoes etc. It picks up the colour of the masala and whatever else is in there. This is true of gravies (curries) but there are a lot of fried dishes. A lot of the meats are pressure cooked with almost no browning and then "stewed" with the other stuff.
    Much love, respect, and props, but I must disagree. 

Most Indian (or thereabouts) meats are browned a bit first, with the onions/ginger/garlic/spices.  Not as heavily browned/seared as most Western recipes meats, but lightly. Even for pressure cooker recipes, the meat should not be added after  the water at the end to cook. Water goes in at the end to make the sauce/gravy. Seafood (fish, shrimp) usually does not usually get browned and is added to the sauce/gravy at the end to cook quickly until done. 

But one need not be so rigid. Try both ways, @DMW and see what you like. My melanin is my street cred! :)

• caliking
    I really hate to say this but the curry-ish has way too much fennel for me.
    Yes, but its a reasonable starting point. 

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    DMW said:
    Wassup Steve?! Hope all is well up yonder. My whole take on curry (not the seasoning, but a pot of curry) was inspired my my vietnamese mom in law. There are as many styles of "curry" as there are cooks who cook the eclectic dish that is "curry" in peoples' minds. My Mom in law had her own totally wild take on it. She would cut leg quarters with a cleaver…right through the bone. She'd season it up and brown those hard in the pan and end up with a ton of fond and fat. She'd fry the potatoes. She used a curry paste in a jar and it was Indian inspired (as opposed to Thai, English or whatever). Anyways, she always served it with crunchy baguettes purchased at the local bakery and extra crunched in the oven before serving. It was full blown nirvana….I will always remember it. Once in a while you got a little crunchy sliver of bone, bit the broth was rich and…..I digress.  I have had so many unique curries, and always hated the English version…they use stuff like raisins.

DMW, looks like a great cook! Appreciate you posting, and glad to hear all enjoyed.
    Happy cookin!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Chris, I agree with you on the English version.  And I HATE raisins in anything savory.

Chris, I agree with you on the English version.  And I HATE raisins in anything savory.

Picadillo feels bad for you.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Picadillo feels bad for you.
    86 any raisins, honey or other sweetness and I'm all-in.
    This is where LS pipes in with "y'all put raisins in yer jambalaya??" :D

[Raisins are often added in biryani (meat pilaf type of dish). LS made some at an eggfest. He thought it turned out pretty well... until someone asked the above question].

• caliking
    Wassup Steve?! Hope all is well up yonder. My whole take on curry (not the seasoning, but a pot of curry) was inspired my my vietnamese mom in law. There are as many styles of "curry" as there are cooks who cook the eclectic dish that is "curry" in peoples' minds. My Mom in law had her own totally wild take on it. She would cut leg quarters with a cleaver…right through the bone. She'd season it up and brown those hard in the pan and end up with a ton of fond and fat. She'd fry the potatoes. She used a curry paste in a jar and it was Indian inspired (as opposed to Thai, English or whatever). Anyways, she always served it with crunchy baguettes purchased at the local bakery and extra crunched in the oven before serving. It was full blown nirvana….I will always remember it. Once in a while you got a little crunchy sliver of bone, bit the broth was rich and…..I digress.  I have had so many unique curries, and always hated the English version…they use stuff like raisins.

DMW, looks like a great cook! Appreciate you posting, and glad to hear all enjoyed.
    Happy cookin!
    Chris
    That sounds really good!

• Little Steven
    caliking said:
    DMW said:
    Much love, respect, and props, but I must disagree. 

Most Indian (or thereabouts) meats are browned a bit first, with the onions/ginger/garlic/spices.  Not as heavily browned/seared as most Western recipes meats, but lightly. Even for pressure cooker recipes, the meat should not be added after  the water at the end to cook. Water goes in at the end to make the sauce/gravy. Seafood (fish, shrimp) usually does not usually get browned and is added to the sauce/gravy at the end to cook quickly until done. 

But one need not be so rigid. Try both ways, @DMW and see what you like. My melanin is my street cred! :)
    That was kind of what I meant by frying it in the spice as opposed to frying the meat in oil by itself. I have never seen a really caramelized exterior on any meat in curries like you would in a western stew.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    LS- read your post again, and we are indeed saying the same thing

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,457
    That's more or less how we curry too.  btw, LS I know we're supposed to grind curry powder from scratch, but our go to commercial curry powder is Baba's Meat Curry Powder from Malaysia, decent taste and real time saver.
    canuckland
  • Little Steven
    caliking said:
    This is where LS pipes in with "y'all put raisins in yer jambalaya??" :D

[Raisins are often added in biryani (meat pilaf type of dish). LS made some at an eggfest. He thought it turned out pretty well... until someone asked the above question].
    It's funny cause Chris (Nature Boy) was there too. He said that he normally didn't like fruit or nuts in savoury dishes but really liked it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DMW
    Maybe I have my terms mixed up. I seasoned the chicken pieces with the Curryish before browning in a minimal amount of oil. Would this be considered frying?

And what I'm hearing is there are multiple correct ways to prepare a dish cooked in multiple countries, some larger than the US? ;)

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    @dmw Try that rub on chicken bombs it's fantastic! Franco from CGW was at Dizzy Fest last year and he made them with Bombay Curryish and that is my family favorite!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Little Steven
    caliking said:
    It's OK. I was hurt at first but I'm over it now.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    caliking said:
    It's OK. I was hurt at first but I'm over it now.
    My turn:  :x

DMW said:
    Maybe I have my terms mixed up. I seasoned the chicken pieces with the Curryish before browning in a minimal amount of oil. Would this be considered frying?

And what I'm hearing is there are multiple correct ways to prepare a dish cooked in multiple countries, some larger than the US? ;)

Shocking concept, aint it? :D However, I am claiming "curry" for the Indian subcontinent, since most of the spices used are indigenous to the area. And you have it right - most Indian recipes play fast and loose with cooking terms and even measurements. There is no consensus in Indian cookbooks about how much a teaspoon actually measures, for example. 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I think I'm gonna try this this weekend. Need to go and replensih some of my spices so I'll pick up the curry-ish as well. Hope they have the mediterraneanish too.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings